Leftovers re: Duke, Carolina, etc | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Leftovers re: Duke, Carolina, etc

Kentucky pulled off a close one tonight over Florida. Knocked them out of the top 25.

Whoo Baby, My Devils are rollin'!

Carolina might not even want to show up when the rematch is played in Cameron.

Originally posted by DolphinDevil28
Whoo Baby, My Devils are rollin'!

Carolina might not even want to show up when the rematch is played in Cameron.

Didn't know this thread was moved here but I'm glad to respond to your ridiculous statement. Carolina will be there, you can count on that, and you had better bring you're "A" game and that little bit of luck you needed to get past us last night. You're Dookies played well enough to win so congrats are in order but considering Duke has a bit more talent on their squad this year, they should have won. That's what being favored is all about. That said, I won't shed a tear when somebody, maybe UNC, knocks them off in March.

And why do so many hate Duke? Please tell me. Do they have an a-hole running the team like Steinbrenner? No. They are extremely classy, and they win. Coach K is about as classy as it gets, they have an extremely high graduation rate. You never hear about a Duke kid getting in trouble or violating some rule. They never have punks on their team. They win with class. If they were a bunch of ****y snobs, I could understand. But I really think the reason so many dislike them is because they are jealous.

I'll be happy to answer you're question. While coach K is a great coach and the university has committed to growing a great basketball program, (they had to out of necessity 'cause everyone else in the conference would beat the hell out of them every year if they didn't) they are, in essence, a snobby private school that charges $30,000 year tuition. Sure they get great players, they should since they offer high-dollar prestigious scholarships that most schools can't compete with and that is a main reason why they are able to recruit on a national level. You should call him “Coach 30K.†Duke uses this leverage to influence the cream of the crop. People hate them for that and the fact that what they call tradition goes way, way back to the 1980's maybe the 1970's at best. Their fan base is mostly bandwagon jumpers who got aboard with coach K in the 1980-90's. Most of them never came close to attending Duke, or if they did, grew up someplace other than North Carolina (They don't mockingly call it the college of New Jersey for nothing). Duke is indeed impressive on the court but I really don’t see how anyone can identify with them unless they were rich enough to go there. To be accurate, they should change the nickname from the “Blue Devils†to the “Blue-bloods.â€Â

Hell man, the entire school has only been around since the 1930's (UNC was est. in 1789 and has been winning at basketball since the 1920's). UNC and most of the other ACC schools for that matter, have more tradition in their little finger than Duke has in its entirety. Duke fans think that this little bit of success they’ve had equals all the tradition of schools like UNC, Kentucky and Kansas. That is why people hate them so. Duke may have a few national championships but that does not come close to the success that many others, including UNC, can boast about. Duke has an admittedly beautiful campus with part of it done in a gothic style, but even that is a fake. Did you know that they actually poured acid on the concrete to make it look old? What posers!!! They even sell shirts in the school store that read, “Harvard is the Duke of the north.†How arrogant is that? You may want to get one, as it will help identify you to others that you don’t have a clue what “class†is. As far as I’m concerned, Duke has the money to try and buy their tradition and they try real hard to do just that. Their basketball benefits greatly from it. Durham is crappy city with a lot of problems and Duke sits there like an expensive bottle of wine in a biker bar. I know people that went to school there and even they will tell you that Chapel Hill is where they go to have fun and party.

Dean Smith continued a great basketball program in a public university and built a dynasty. He was lucky in that Chapel Hill is a great place to be, it has a beautiful campus, a fabulous academic reputation and deeply rooted traditions. Even without the sports dynasty, UNC represents North Carolina for more than Duke ever can dream of. Carolina’s star is brighter and always will be because it is a university of the people not a university of a bunch of moneyed rich kids. Am I arrogant? You're damn right I am. I graduated from UNC and feel I have the right to be. Whether they attended UNC or not Carolina fans have the right to be proud. They have something to be proud of. Duke fans hate us because, win or lose, we are still, and always will be, greater than Duke regardless of what your hopelessly incorrect equation states. We have the tradition both academically and athletically to prove it and it has been done without charging 30K a year to build it. Hope this answers your question. I'll be happy to elaborate more if you need.

:tongue: :tongueout :tongue:

TarHole just spouted propaganda, and now an actual Duke student will spell the truth:

Duke University was originally called Trinity College, a Methodist college which was established in 1843 in Randolph County, NC. In 1892, Washington Duke, the tobacco magnate (who knew back then tobacco was deadly? Just trying to justify his wealth) lured Trinity College to Durham with a generous donation. His son, James B. Duke, left a substantial fortune in his will ($25 million) in 1925 to establish Duke University out of Trinity College (which still exists today as the undergraduate arts and sciences college, as opposed to the Pratt School of Engineering).

Now that you know about Duke's institutional history, let's take a trip down memory lane in sports history. Way before Duke was a basketball power (and that started in the late '50s/early '60s with Jeff Mullins and Art Heyman playing ball, Vic Bubas coaching, and a young Bill Bradley wanting to really come here to play before his father said no, mind you), Duke was a football power under head coach Wallace Wade, who led the Blue Devils to several bowl bids (insert modern Duke football joke here). Two teams particularly stick: the 1938 "Iron Dukes", a defense that was unscored upon until a defense-focused Rose Bowl, in which they lost 7-3 to the USC Trojans (sorry if that's the wrong team, but I'm tired right now and not in the mood to look stuff up), and the 1941-42 team, which played in the only Rose Bowl to be held outside Pasadena (that's right, it was held in Durham due to fears of a Japanese attack). And it was bowl money that built Cameron Indoor Stadium, at one time the largest arena in the Southeast (before the days of the mega-stadiums like the Dean Dome and Rupp Arena).

To respond to the "money" issue, I don't come from what you call "rich". I'm from a middle-class family supported by a self-employed father who is not exactly large on means and saddled with three children with neurological disabilities (of which I am one). Yet Duke managed to give me a generous package with a large grant-in-aid, in addition to some outside scholarships that I won, so that I could focus on my studies rather than on my finances.

And finally, if you want to blast our architecture for trying to re-create a Gothic style, I suggest you do the same to Wake Forest's Winston-Salem campus, built in 1960.

Actually Bull$h1tDurham, your truth was not too far from my supposed propaganda. As you stated Trinity College was a small Methodist school that used a lot of private money to morph into what is now Duke University in the 1920’s (I incorrectly said the 30’s). That is what I argued. Duke’s prestige is founded on private money and they still use it greatly to influence everything from the academics to the basketball team. I really don’t care overall, that is just the way it is. DolphinDevil asked, “Why do people hate us so?†and that is part of my answer. I know about the tobacco money influence but can’t too be critical here, as UNC has benefited (at least partly via state taxes) from it as well.

As far as me stereotyping ALL Duke students as children of wealthy snobs is incorrect and I will respectfully amend this. I do know that private schools such as Duke offer scholarships to people with a wide range of backgrounds. My wife was fortunate enough to get one to Meredith College, as you probably know, a private women’s school in Raleigh. Congrats to you for doing the hard work to get into Duke this route. I may be wrong but I don’t feel that is the case for the majority of the students that attend. Duke has an air of snobbery that permeates it. It looks and feels from the outside like an elitist school. Once again, I brought this up because DolphinDevil asked, “Why do people hate us so?â€Â

As far as Duke’s tradition in college sports, your rebuttal essentially confirms what I said. Duke has a weak tradition compared to other universities (the 1950’s is the best you can do in basketball) and as far as the couple of Duke football teams in the 30’s or 40’s go that also isn’t much to hang you hat on. In the 1930’s, Army, Navy and Harvard had great teams too, but like Duke, where are they now? This really isn’t a stellar tradition but to hear the average Duke fan you’d think that they cornered the market on tradition.

This wasn’t a discussion about Wake Forest so therefore I felt no real need to criticize them or their school. Besides the money, Duke benefits mightily from being in the ACC. If they were an Ivy League school, like they seem to want to be, they would be nothing but a footnote in college sports like the other Ivy’s. Frankly, I’m glad they are in the ACC with Carolina. They help they conference dominate nationally in basketball and usually provide an easy victory for us in football (unfortunately this year UNC football could not even capitalize on that). Coach K and Duke have a great program but that still doesn’t change how I and many other duke haters feel about Duke basketball or its fans. They’re still mostly an obnoxious, arrogant crowd that thinks they are way greater than they are. I would be happy to root for them in the NCAA’s when UNC is out to show support for the conference but you guys make this really, really impossible.

If they hate because of snobbery, then why don't members of the SEC hate Vanderbilt, or members of the Big 10 hate Northwestern? Is it because they serve as their special b*tches in all sports? You want Duke to lie down and take it like they do? I, and a whole bunch of Duke fans (including Herb Neubauer (T '64), AKA the Crazy Towel Guy), say not without a fight. In football, NC State, Georgia Tech, and the Tar Holes found that out. In basketball, everybody knows it. Heck, if one of your biggest assets in recruiting is the high ranking in the US News and World Report rankings, why not use it? You don't think Notre Dame, Stanford, UVA, and even UNC do?

BTW, Stanford's biggest tradition is screwing up their own games when the band runs onto the field as some Cal player scores on them. In other words, taking it up the a$$.

I can’t answer for how other conference schools feel about their elite private schools mixed in amongst their ranks. I am sure, however, that if Vandy put together a solid BB program and their fans develop attitudes like most Duke fans I’ve ran across then Kentucky and the rest would feel pretty much the same as we do about Duke. Although likely doubtful, Stanford may be on their way to just such a position so maybe we will see the same thing there.

I have nothing against using your high academic standing to recruit both student and athletes. I agree, everybody who can, should. My point in answering DD28’s inquiry is that Duke uses its money to ensure status and recruit players that might otherwise stay in their own state’s university system, that is one reason why other fans really hate them. As I said before, that’s just the way it is, can’t blame them but it is a reason why Maryland fans, for instance, chanted “f-you JJ†when Reddick stepped to the line to shoot free throws last week. I don’t condone it, I only try to offer an explanation for it.

I never said that you shouldn’t support your team or that Duke should be a doormat for the league. You can be happy that your guys are enjoying some success without being an a$$ho1e in the process. In other words quit acting like a Bills or Jet's fan.

As for evidence to support what I say you don’t have to look any further than this thread. This entire thing started on the main Dolphin board when I got flamed by DolphinDevil28. I don’t give a crap that he is a Duke fan and loves his team. Great for him, but when he gets in my face then I’m not going to let it slide. Since then, both DolphinDevil and you have gone out of your way to be extremely insulting to both the university and me. Call it smack or whatever you want to call it, I see it as continued proof that you all are arrogant and rude. Yea, Yea, I know Boo-hoo. For the record though, I really don’t care. It just provides further evidence for what I'm saying. The Duke fans can spread all the smack they want but don’t come along later and wonder out loud why people hate your team. If you do, expect to get some answers that you don’t want to hear.

:calm:

I have not insulted UNC. Check my previous postings (except the "Piss on Carolina" one, that was just traditional ribbing before a game). If you ask me, a Carolina fan is WAAAAAAY higher up on the class scale than, say, a Maryland fan. Or maybe the "implicit taunt" that the Crazies did after Uncle Terry wrote the Avuncular Letter got to you a bit.

Now you, insulting my university, that's a different subject altogether, as you have indeed insulted my university and MY education.

And one more thing: if you talk smack, you'd better be able to back it up. And to that, I only have to say, "SCOREBOARD!!!!!!!"

One world for TarhellPhinfan: J-E-A-L-O-U-S-Y.

Maybe this is why so many hate carolina: Stop recruiting pot sellers.

Nowhere did I insult your education. As far as I’m concerned, Duke is a great university academically and anyone with the opportunity to go there can’t do much better. I’ll admit I was a bit harsh on the culture of your university and the way it has achieved its greatness. However, I do still think that Duke uses this as an advantage when it comes to recruiting but in reality it doesn’t affect UNC all that much. As I said before, so be it. That is just the way it is. Keep in mind my response was to DD28’s ridiculous question and my comments attempted to answer this from the point of view why fans might feel the way they do about Duke and it’s fans. Of course, not all Duke fans are A-holes, some just go out of their way to big, hairy ones. It is always each fans choice, no matter the favorite team, as to whether they want to be one or not. As far as insulting me or UNC, you seem conflicted as to whether you did or not. That’s fine; I am not looking for an apology. Say what you want.

As far as the scoreboard thing, I would be careful with that one. As a fan of Duke and watching ACC basketball you should realize that what goes around comes around in this conference. It should be another good game the next time around with hopefully a little better result. Your team won’t always be on top so enjoy it while it lasts. I’ll leave it at that. I don’t really think there’s a chance that I can convert you into a Carolina fan anyway. :)

How in the hell was my question ridiculous? It's ridiculous in your eyes because your a carolina fan and you hate Duke naturally. There is no reason to hate Duke otherwise though because they are extremely classy and always win.

It's jealousy.

It is a ridiculous question because you have the arrogant audacity to ask it. It is as if you think that everyone should bow down and worship the mighty Duke. I got news for you bub, it ain’t gonna happen. That’s like a Pats fan assuming that everyone should love their team because they have won 2 super bowls in 3 years. I certainly hope that you don’t ask this question with regard to the Dolphins. Just be glad that you asked it on this board instead of a college BB one. I’m sure that if you did that you would get more than one enlightened view as to why everyone doesn’t love Duke. From a sports perspective, “Do I hate Duke?†Sure do. But, being a Dolphin fan too, not as much as I hate the god#### Bills and Jets. It’s pretty close though.

Jealous? Are you insane? Your saying that a Carolina fan – a fan of a team with 2nd highest winning percentage in the NCAA, behind Kentucky and the all-time winningest coach in NCAA history – is jealous of Duke’s recent basketball success? That’s a good one! You’ve really got little to brag about except for Coach K’s success since the late 1980’s. Carolina’s had, and most likely will continue to have, some of the greatest players ever to grace the game. Can you say James Worthy, Phil Ford, Vince Carter, Antawn Jamison, Lenny Rosenbluth, and some guy named Michael Jordan? In football, does the name Lawrence Taylor ring a bell? I agree that Duke’s classy but no more than any of the other top tier teams. As I said before, they’re classy because A) they have financial wherewithal to be, and B) they’re in the ACC. They should be classy. If anybody’s is jealous it is you. At least I don’t have to state in all my posts how great UNC is, everybody already knows it. Frankly this is just way too easy. I guess the only reason I even responded to you was because you seemed overdue for a dose of humility.

Btw, Duke doesn’t always win. “Always†is a pretty big word, partner. I think you had better temper that attitude soon because it will come back to haunt you sooner than you think! While your team has had the better of the rivalry lately I seriously doubt that it will equate to a permanent status for the rest of your life.

Now your'e putting words in my mouth. Stop twisting this around. I never said "Bow down to Duke." Good lord.
I am sick of all the idiots with the "fukk dook" and "puke" garbage. That's what pi$$es me off and that's why I asked that question.

It sounds like you're the one with the attitude. Get your panties out of a bind.

And I'm talking about jealousy right now. As in 5 consecutive ACC Championships. As in the #1 ranking in America. As in being undefeated in the conference.
I couldn't care less what carolina did 10 or 15 years ago.

And maybe, just maybe, carolina fans are a little pi$$y because of their recruits and players being in the news for legal trouble. Like JamesOn whatever his name is.
When do you ever hear of a Duke kid getting in that kind of trouble???

Back
Top Bottom