Letter to Dave Wannstedt. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Letter to Dave Wannstedt.

Deus Ex Dolphin said:
You just proved my point dude. Dilfer had a strong arm and could complete some deep passes, ask the Giants about that. BESIDES the fact he was carried by the exceptional Ravens D. IF Miami could play at that level for a year, then yeah, Jay would be good enough.

Brad Johnson has put up better numbers than Jay ever could/will. He also had a very good Bucs D to help him. How many defensive TDs did that Bucs defense score? It was insane.

Neither one of those QBs needed to be more than consistent and avoid turning the ball over. Does that describe Jay? Nope.

Adding a good QB isn't a magical cure for what ails a team. They are a vital part of a successful team team though.
Brad Johnson is better than a lot of people give him credit for. He's a very accurate qb

CirclingWagons said:
How many years are you gonna blame lack of execution on the players? They aren't disciplined. I saw Parcells take a crappy cowboys team with a horrible QB and RB, and they executed. Quincy didn't do **** with Campo(nor did any of the Cowboys), but Parcells came in and they went from 5-11 to 10-6.
If Parcells is such an amazing coach, please explain Thanksgiving last year.

sbh1602 said:
If Parcells is such an amazing coach, please explain Thanksgiving last year.
omg he lost some games!! :eek:
my point is he made the playoffs with crap players at his key positions. Are you gonna tell me Quincy Carter and Troy Hambrick are worth anything? He gets the most out of his players, and they execute. Flip-flop coaches and we'll see what Parcells does with the phins and wanny with the boys...catch my drift?

Deus Ex Dolphin said:
Wanny the letter of the day is "B" as in, "Buh-bye Dave." :evil:

While he has some good qualities, and I believe he has tried to build a winning team, his biggest failing in my eyes has been keeping Jay Fiedler at QB all these years. Offense in general has suffered under his watch.

Getting Ricky and adding to the Defense was everything Wanny wanted to win his way. Lack of a true quality QB killed us though. Ask the Pats how important a good QB and average running game is, versus a great HB and marginal QB.

Wanny went all-out to get a great HB, but tried to get by with Jay at QB instead of doing whatever it took to upgrade the QB spot too.

Now we have this situation. Still a question mark at QB (I hope you work out Feeley), another at RB, one proven WR in Chambers and a rebuilt OL. A good defense but one that has never been able to carry the team through a season, ala the 2000 Ravens.

Given the parity in the league, the best Dolphin schedule in years, and the hope the Feeley plays well, I see no reason the Phins can't win 8 or 9 games this year. With Ricky, Boston, improved OL, and a successful Feeley? Well, the saddest words are "What might have been" and with those guys we would have been a Super Bowl caliber team. :cry:

Dave, five years later, and how close is this team?
Deus Ex Dolphin said:
You just proved my point dude. Dilfer had a strong arm and could complete some deep passes, ask the Giants about that. BESIDES the fact he was carried by the exceptional Ravens D. IF Miami could play at that level for a year, then yeah, Jay would be good enough.

Brad Johnson has put up better numbers than Jay ever could/will. He also had a very good Bucs D to help him. How many defensive TDs did that Bucs defense score? It was insane.

Neither one of those QBs needed to be more than consistent and avoid turning the ball over. Does that describe Jay? Nope.

Adding a good QB isn't a magical cure for what ails a team. They are a vital part of a successful team team though.
:smackhead

Are you sure you know your point? Can you honestly say Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer are "quality QBs"?

Both of them had strong defenses to support them. With our vaunted defensive unit, you would agree that a Jay Fiedler should have a SB ring right now. So if you need to blaim anyone with those arguments, it points to defense, my friend. Not JF. And certainly not DW.

CirclingWagons said:
omg he lost some games!! :eek:
my point is he made the playoffs with crap players at his key positions. Are you gonna tell me Quincy Carter and Troy Hambrick are worth anything? He gets the most out of his players, and they execute. Flip-flop coaches and we'll see what Parcells does with the phins and wanny with the boys...catch my drift?
No. No. No. NO!

Don't try to evade my point. Head on, your vaunted Parcells against the evil Wanny, and Wanny won. No, not only won. Demolished the other team. Bear in mind his philosophy was the same for much of that game.

How can you explain that such a great coach lost against that scrub? Heresy!

IMO, the difference was the players executed well that day. Very well. Unlike most days. Most Fiedler haters can vouch for me about that.

sbh1602 said:
No. No. No. NO!

Don't try to evade my point. Head on, your vaunted Parcells against the evil Wanny, and Wanny won. No, not only won. Demolished the other team. Bear in mind his philosophy was the same for much of that game.

How can you explain that such a great coach lost against that scrub? Heresy!

IMO, the difference was the players executed well that day. Very well. Unlike most days. Most Fiedler haters can vouch for me about that.
I'm pretty sure Rich Kotite defeated Don Shula once or twice...so what does that mean?

CirclingWagons said:
I'm pretty sure Rich Kotite defeated Don Shula once or twice...so what does that mean?
Can't remember the particular games... if you would be so kind to point them to me, I could analyze them...

But I'd be willing to bet my money on one of two things:

1) Kotite outcoached Shula in that (those) particular game(s).

2) The Dolphins' players underperformed miserably.

Now, how does that relate with the specific game I was talking about? A game you most likely saw and one where it is obvious the Dolphins' players performed better?

My point still remains: sometimes, it is not all about coaching. I do not doubt for a second Parcells is a better coach (maybe you think I do, I don't know), but in that game, the players didn't let Wannstedt down. And it made all the difference.

sbh1602 said:
Can't remember the particular games... if you would be so kind to point them to me, I could analyze them...

But I'd be willing to bet my money on one of two things:

1) Kotite outcoached Shula in that (those) particular game(s).

2) The Dolphins' players underperformed miserably.

Now, how does that relate with the specific game I was talking about? A game you most likely saw and one where it is obvious the Dolphins' players performed better?

My point still remains: sometimes, it is not all about coaching. I do not doubt for a second Parcells is a better coach (maybe you think I do, I don't know), but in that game, the players didn't let Wannstedt down. And it made all the difference.
yea sometimes coaching doesnt matter especially if one team is way better. but in the playoffs when teams are more evenly matched then coaching can be the difference between winning and losing.

sbh1602 said:

Are you sure you know your point? Can you honestly say Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer are "quality QBs"?

Both of them had strong defenses to support them. With our vaunted defensive unit, you would agree that a Jay Fiedler should have a SB ring right now. So if you need to blaim anyone with those arguments, it points to defense, my friend. Not JF. And certainly not DW.

I can say Brad Johnson IS, or has at least been, a quality QB for most of his career. Dilfer was more of a fluke. Remember that the Ravens brought in Elvis Grbac to replace him? Why? Cause they knew they needed to improve the team and the defense was already as good as it could get. Grbac tanked for them, but it was the right idea to try and improve on offense. They picked the wrong QB. Wanny in contrast has stuck with poor-average Jay all these years. You have to take a chance at times to get better.

The Dolphins have a good defense, but certainly not a "vaunted defensive unit". The D tends to collapse in big games and wear down late in the season. Too bad for us. Can we make it better? Sure, but it would be easier to improve the offensive side. That means simply getting a better QB and all of the sudden things open up for the running game and the passing game too. What a concept!

If you really don't see Jay as a problem at QB, then we can agree to disagree and leave it at that. :D

CirclingWagons said:
How many years are you gonna blame lack of execution on the players? They aren't disciplined. I saw Parcells take a crappy cowboys team with a horrible QB and RB, and they executed. Quincy didn't do **** with Campo(nor did any of the Cowboys), but Parcells came in and they went from 5-11 to 10-6.

Yeah goodness knows that Dallas team had a poor D, and they won games last year all because of their offense.

I wish some of you would make sense.

Oliver...

ohall said:
In what ways, do inform us!

Oliver...
I thought it was pretty clear that for the houston game the fins werent motivated for it especially with Williams "practice remark". In the Indy game not helping Smith with McMichael or Ricky until the last sack where Ricky missed the block.

ohall said:
Yeah goodness knows that Dallas team had a poor D, and they won games last year all because of their offense.

I wish some of you would make sense.

Oliver...
Both executed...hell, remember the Week 2 Giant-Cowboy game?..Cowboys won 35-32...great defense :lol: . The offense also bailed them out in wins over Philly and Carolina(the NFC Championship representatives). I wish some of you would stop holding Wanny's hand through his underachievement.

sbh1602 said:
Agreed. So...?
so in the playoffs when the phins play teams with good coaches and equal or slightly less talent, they lose. Oh wait we havent made the playoffs for two years. Wannys coaching may be enough for a good regular season record but in the playoffs his poor coaching would/did hurt our team a lot. Just look at how we fared against over .500 teams. If I remember correctly we were 2-5 against teams with winning records last year.

sbh1602 said:

Our defense isnt nearly as good as Baltimores D was when they won it. Thats a really stupid comparision. Johnson may not be Joe Montana but he is a pretty good NFL QB. He can make all the throws under 30 yards. Unlike Jay who cant complete a 5 yard out or throw a slant and give his recievers a chance to run after the catch.

Back
Top Bottom