Letting Landry walk could be like losing Welker | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Letting Landry walk could be like losing Welker

Thing is, Landry's TD production is only good in the redzone... Landry's got 3 career TDs coming from outside the RZ...Julio Jones? 23
The latter is what Stills provides and Parker is supposed to provide.

Julio not getting into the end zone, is more a byproduct of the Atlanta system. Once they drafted Ryan, and they had Roddy White in house, what did they do? HOF KC TE Tony Gonzalez was brought in to man the middle of the field.

Today's reality? ATLANTA is still a run/playaction team. With a HC from Seattle, who believes in running the ball and stopping the run.

Don't get it twisted. I'd trade Landry for Jones 365 times a year. Would you?
Yes but I’m merely pointing out that our best RZ threat is Landry. And we’ve been missing a RZ threat. I’m not suggesting he’s a better receiver than Julio. But Julio struggled in the RZ this year and it wasn’t due to lack of targets. Point is, replacing RZ production always looks easy on paper (Cameron, Thomas, Parker) but it doesn’t work like that. Some guys have a knack for finding space. Landry is one of those guys. Vs say Parker who can’t get open in the RZ to save his life.

The OP is right. You need to establish and PAY the faces of your franchise and Landry certainly is one of them if not THE ONE. The intangibles that he brings to the team in addition to the glue for hands are priceless. Does he have some growing up to do? Absolutely however I'd rather he grow up in a Dolphins uniform than another. Pay the man and cut the garbage to do it.

They have PAYED their faces of the franchise with Suh, Tannehill, Pouncey and Jones. The faces they have paid to this point has got them a middling team in the NFL. Why on earth would you want to over pay yet another face. You want to OVERSPEND on a slot receiver who they force feed the ball to every game? The reason they target him so much is because their offensive line sucks and will not be better if we sign your face of the franchise because we will no money to allocate to the oline. This team has so many holes and is cash strapped. The only way they get out of this **** show that Tbum has created is if they start to acquire more draft picks the next couple of years, draft well, and then by 2020 they will be in position with cap flexibility to put a team that is a championship contender on the field. I would much rather see a team that is a perennial playoff team than one that has been to the playoffs 3 times in the last 2 decades and overpays yet again for a FACE.

They have bad contracts up and down this team from Suh to McDonald (paying good money for yet another SS). The only contract that is reasonable is Tannehill's. Couple all these bad contracts with the fact that they have traded away picks to get the likes of Jordan, Carroo and Asiati. Then failing to trade down last year when 2 teams called for the Harris pick and you wonder why we have so many holes on this team with no hope in sight until 2020.

The Phins have little salary and much more needs to fill as to have around 14 Million to pay to Landry. He is still a slot receiver and you don´t pay that salary to a slot receiver - allthough he is a face of the franchise. In free agency, the Phins can sign Sammy Watkins for six or Michael Crabtree for 7 Million of projected salary. DeVante Parker or Crabtree are both able to fill the slot. Before paying 14 Million to Landry, better get Crabtree and Bowman to Miami - which would be the better option than re-signing Landry

Yes but I’m merely pointing out that our best RZ threat is Landry. And we’ve been missing a RZ threat. I’m not suggesting he’s a better receiver than Julio. But Julio struggled in the RZ this year and it wasn’t due to lack of targets. Point is, replacing RZ production always looks easy on paper (Cameron, Thomas, Parker) but it doesn’t work like that. Some guys have a knack for finding space. Landry is one of those guys. Vs say Parker who can’t get open in the RZ to save his life.

Even so, but if you want a BIG red zone target for a consistent dynamic offense, you get a TE to do TE things.

Landry prior to this past year, avg how many TDs? He broke out in a contract year, with 160 targets.

The big difference between Landry and Welker is one wants to be the highest paid receiver in the league, and the latter just wanted to get a better deal and more playing time. It’s a totally different situation, especially as our current team has many needs and is also trying to stay within the cap. At this point I don’t care if Landry stays or goes. It would hurt losing Landry, but it’s not like he is irreplaceable.

Even so, but if you want a BIG red zone target for a consistent dynamic offense, you get a TE to do TE things.

Landry prior to this past year, avg how many TDs? He broke out in a contract year, with 160 targets.
Yes but what TE? We’ve been trying since Keith Jackson left.

Wish Ross and Tannenbaum would do something, and quit this soap opera already. Sign Him...Clean His locker out...SOMETHING!!! Just so sick of it. He's a Great "SLOT" Receiver....Not Julio Jones or Hopkins. Maybe not a Cancer exactly, but I think He's an undisciplined, heady Guy, that wears His emotions on His sleeve. ALOT like Beckham!!! I'D LOVE to keep Him too. Just not at that price tag....and keeps His emotions/mouth in check. If not...I don't care where He goes. Personally, I think 'Fins will eventually cave, and overpay. Certainly can't control, or have any say in what our incompetent FO does.
Just my opinion of course. I'm just "1" Fin, that wants to get better, and start getting W's again.

This isn't a sport that can rely on ONE guy to win continuously...It is a game where one player can be a difference maker but those players on offense are usually at KEY positions (QB, RB, #1 WR, TE)...not really slot....if you're running your offense through the slot you're probably picking up 1st downs but probably not scoring much.....

If my team had ALL the pieces necessary to compete for the Super Bowl .....I wouldn't pay a slot receiver but 8-10 million

If my team was mediocre and still needed play makers in order to compete for the playoffs (or a winning season)....I wouldn't pay a slot receiver but 8-10 million

To earn top dollars you need to be a game changer...however if you play a slot receiver role....you still only get slot receiver money.... Landry doesn't stretch the field or require double teams to defend....he will get you 8 yds on average but not a TD THREAT...not an open field runner that baffles tacklers...not a red zone THREAT....can't stretch the field to open up the run game....

But he does have passion....and he is a good receiver....just not a THREAT...

IMO

Yes but what TE? We’ve been trying since Keith Jackson left.

I think Randy McMichael was the last best athletic TE Miami has seen.

If this FO couldn't do what was right in past drafts concerning the position, I don't have much hope of them doing absolutely nothing different now.

I guess you could say losing Landry would be like losing Welker:

A - Could be a good move for Landry's career.
B - WIll result in some fans being upset, but some fans are going to be upset too if he stays and the cost of keeping him handcuffs the team going forward.
C - The team as a whole was not noticable worse record wise after Welker left. They were 6-10 with Welker and while they dropped to a franchise low 1-15 the next season without Welker, they were 11-5 in the second post-Welker season.

Love me some Jarvis but he’s a slot guy it’s not to tuff finding another. Can’t tie up 14 million or so on a slot

I love Landry but for the kind of money he wants it’s just unreasonable. I think back to Orande Gadson and think there’s a guy who caught a lot of short passes and first downs. Just look at Welker, Edleman, Amondola, Hogan, McCoy Etc slot guys run short routes and move the chains, can’t pay 15 Mil for 7 yards a catch. We need to spend that money on a True 1 not a slot. And while we are at it sianara to Suh, save 20 mill next year Post June 1.

Back
Top Bottom