Madison coul be gone. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Madison coul be gone.

I think we should demand that he cuts his salary by $1.2-$1.7 million.
This way, we have almost no benefit in cutting him (future yes). We need him this year to try and make our run. We would never find a CB as good as Sam for the $1.7 million he would save us. Next year is a different story. We'll address it then.

This is EXACTLY why we drafted Jamar Fletcher.

Only one flaw in the plan, Fletch has failed to live up to his big potential and cannnot be ocunted on as a starting CB on our team.

If Fletch was as good as he was projected to be, Madison would be gone, without question.(as much as it hurts me to say...)

The only problem with getting him to cut his salary is we'll probably have to offer some bonus money...more dead cap next year at a reduced salary means the cap savings next year will be even less than the 1.7 million this year. Miami will still do this because of boss Wayne's ultimatum to win this year.

Originally posted by Eshlemon
The only problem with getting him to cut his salary is we'll probably have to offer some bonus money...more dead cap next year at a reduced salary means the cap savings next year will be even less than the 1.7 million this year. Miami will still do this because of boss Wayne's ultimatum to win this year.

I don't think it works like that.What your describing if he restructures but that not the case if he accepts a paycut.

Originally posted by minus

I don't think it works like that.What your describing if he restructures but that not the case if he accepts a paycut.

You're right but Madison isn't required to take a pay cut. If he doesn't agree...we either pay him the 6.3 mill salary or cut him. The only incentive for him to take the cut would be more guaranteed bonus (dead) money.
Madison already counts about 2 million in dead money per year...6 million next year! So even if he takes no pay cut we basically get nothing next year (6.3 salary vs 6 mill dead money + .305 min salary/clumps top 51 rule) and can only get cap money if we cut him after 6/1(2 mill dead for 2005, the other 4 mill dead put in 2006).
So basically it depends on how desperate we are for money this year that will screw us later on.

Releasing Madison would not be a smart move. We would still take a large cap hit if we release him and even though his skill has declined, he is still a good CB and I can guarantee that we wouldn't be able to afford anyone better in FA.

Back
Top Bottom