Mallett in Play for #10 to Washington | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mallett in Play for #10 to Washington

Do you consider the Bill Belichick way of supposedly approaching each pick like he's automatically going to trade it the best way to play the draft in the long run. The Pats have accumulated a number of picks this way over the years.

Everything looks easy for Bill Belichick because he has a franchise quarterback. Because he knows they will always compete, he can trade present picks for future better picks. If I had a quarterback, I would do that literally every time the opportunity arose, because that's how you amass the embarrassment of riches that the Patriots have in their draft picks every year....and that's how you can keep up with the amount of reloading you have to constantly go through in the NFL.

The very idea that a present 2nd is worth a future 1st, is flawed. It's based on our understanding of money, which has present and future values derived from investments and interest rates. This simply isn't the case in the NFL with draft picks. It's just a bunch of guys that are convinced that their jobs are jeopardy and so they're giving away value, for free, out of desperation and fear. If I were an owner, fans would hate me because I would be the kind of owner that absolutely would insist on having the final say on CERTAIN calls. One of those would involve trading present picks for future picks. I would mandate that we NEVER give away a future 1st or 2nd for a present 2nd or 3rd, respectively. Ever. Wouldn't happen with me as an owner. And I'd also mandate that they seek out those trades on the other end of it, being the team that gives away a present 2nd or 3rd for a future 1st or 2nd, respectively. And if they found one, more times than not I would pull the trigger and I don't care how fearful the coach or GM are over their jobs and therefore they want to give up value out of fear and desperation.

And as such, I would develop a reputation for being a Danny Snyder, or some such.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry if you have mentioned this somewhere else CK, but when is this interviewing airing?

Still no word. Producer mentioned that he was going to try and set a date today. Not meaning it'll air today, meaning that by the end of the day he should be able to let me know when it'll air.

they're gonna look to you to tie a bow on the whole thing after we **** the bed on day 1 with our top pick...:lol:

I doubt it, they know I'm in the tank for Mallett and a quarterback. If they don't take Mallett or Ponder you're probably going to hear some criticism from me.

Still no word. Producer mentioned that he was going to try and set a date today. Not meaning it'll air today, meaning that by the end of the day he should be able to let me know when it'll air.
Oh ok. Do let us know when you find out! :)

I really don't think they'll keep it. That one was a little too sharp I think. I mean Burmeister sort of stepped into it. He gets done revealing what these GMs have told him about Ryan Mallett, then suggests they were private. 'off the record' conversations and therefore there's no way they would lie. I mean, come on...what was I supposed to do?

It was actually just revenge because early in the interrogation before I really realized where he was going with all this, we're debating on how truthful NFL teams are when they "reveal" what they think about these prospects and I'm trying to make the case for independent studies like ours, and so I point out that first off you don't even know what the consensus is because you've got reports that conflict with one another, you have guys telling Peter King and Len Pasquarelli that they have no problems with Ryan Mallett's character. So he thinks he's got me, interrupts me and says but you just got done saying they all lie so how can you use those reports to cast doubt on the other reports, to which I had to say I'm not using them to cast doubt on just the other reports, I'm using them to cast doubt on the whole pile of reports, as they're conflicting and sourced from people with muddy motivations. He thought he scored a sharp one there, and some people would say he did, especially since he interrupted me and generally wouldn't let me finish my thoughts, but I thought I had a good answer to it.

So my sharp reply was really just revenge for his sharp one earlier.

The truth is, by this point in the evaluation process... everyone's evaluations and opinions are muddied and cluttered with agendas, smokescreens, and misinformation. That includes any and every draftnik, talking head, journalist, sportswriter, and even actual NFL front offices.

The bottom line is turn on the film, and try to figure out which guys translate.

Anyone that thinks any of these quarterbacks translate better to the NFL than Ryan Mallett is either pushing an agenda, hasn't studied the quarterbacks or watched them play... or simply just doesn't know what the hell they're looking at.

I doubt it, they know I'm in the tank for Mallett and a quarterback. If they don't take Mallett or Ponder you're probably going to hear some criticism from me.

well thats good to hear...if you think its warranted let them have it...i would

The truth is, by this point in the evaluation process... everyone's evaluations and opinions are muddied and cluttered with agendas, smokescreens, and misinformation. That includes any and every draftnik, talking head, journalist, sportswriter, and even actual NFL front offices.

The bottom line is turn on the film, and try to figure out which guys translate.

Anyone that thinks any of these quarterbacks translate better to the NFL than Ryan Mallett is either pushing an agenda, hasn't studied the quarterbacks or watched them play... or simply just doesn't know what the hell they're looking at.

I was very disappointed that we didn't even go into the on field portions of the piece. That was HALF the damn piece, more than half, and it was the half that I wrote. Simon took the lead on the character stuff, incorporating some words and paragraphs that I had written to him, but mostly him. The character stuff was damn good, maybe the best part of the whole article, but I still don't like that the entire interview focused on that alone. He didn't want to talk about the on field stuff because he completely agreed, he and Mayock take it for granted that Mallett is a top 10 or at worst 15 type talent when you just look at on field stuff, and he said that during the interview.

But that shows you what his mindset was in this interview. He didn't cover a portion that spanned 60% of the article, simply because he didn't disagree with it.

Back
Top Bottom