Mallett in Play for #10 to Washington | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mallett in Play for #10 to Washington

CK great stuff as always, what I see is when he gets pressured he throws off his back foot most of the time. His arm is strong enough he can get away with that in college, but in the pros he will be a pick 6 machine. The roll out throws were impressive, but most of the throws on this clip were not. I am not a Mallett fan and never have been. He has a cannon of an arm there is no doubt, but he has horrible footwork and is a statue back there. I just don't se any way how he fits with Miami.

No quarterback has "most of his throws" being impressive with pressure in his face. This is a pressure video. I think you're suffering a little loss of perspective. Some of the best QBs in the league have about 60.0 QB ratings when they have to deal with pressure. He didn't throw most of those throws off his back foot, it was about half and half (I've dissected this video six ways to Sunday). And Dan Marino once said that if he were evaluating a quarterback he would ask the guy to throw 100 balls off his back foot in practice, because in the NFL you'll need to do that a lot as the pocket breaks down. Throwing off the back foot is one of those catch 22's. Coaches don't like to see a player do it unnecessarily because it can lead to bad throws, but at the same time, they love when they see a guy like Mallett who can throw it off his back foot and still get the ball where it needs to be...because they KNOW that no matter how much they preach to a quarterback not to throw it off his back foot, he's going to NEED to do exactly that. As Dan Marino says, it's a fact of life in the NFL, and he'd want to make sure his quarterback can do it because he felt like he did it all the time (he did).

When people say that Mallett has horrible footwork I'm not sure I understand what they mean. I don't know how you can look at his footwork and say it's horrible when he's doing it just how you coach it. His drops are relatively precise, he doesn't overstep his throws (especially 2010, after his foot injury in late 2009), he gets over his front leg...his footwork is actually pretty polished. Does he have room for improvements in stride length and keeping his feet a little more active especially on rollouts and sprint-outs? Sure. But when people say "horrible footwork" I just feel like that's way off the mark and I wonder what a coach would say to it.

Bluefin please, the reason there were so many QBs in the 1st round in '83 was due to the talent. If more QBs are drafted this year that would be due to the lack of CBA and not the talent. That fact can not be disputed. I'll check back with all of you in, how many years do you want 5?, and I'll put $$ on it. No more than 2 QBs out of this class will be starters in the NFL.

Thats easy to say now, but no one was sure of these guys back then, Marino was so questionable he slid all the way to 27....I remember it clearly.

The only one everyone was locked down on was Elway.

But no one had any idea it would be as good as it was at the time.

As it is, out of the 6 from 83', blackledge was a bust, Eason did very little, O'Brien had a decent career.

So you had 3 hall of famers, one pretty good quarterback and two busts.

but no one knows how good this QB class might look down the road, just as no one knew in 1983.

He seemed to think his opinion carried lots of weight, during our interview. Or at least, he hid behind all of the evidently dozens of general managers whose phone numbers he clearly has on speed dial and whom all tell him the whole truth and nothing but the truth about what they think of these players.

so burmeister who comes across on air as a very likeable guy pretty much tried to go alpha dog on you during your interview??? that's ****ing hilarious

so burmeister who comes across on air as a very likeable guy pretty much tried to go alpha dog on you during your interview??? that's ****ing hilarious

Yup. It was all but an ambush, since I had zero warning that it would even be a debate type of interview. But if you really pay attention, he's been chomping at the bit on Ryan Mallett for a while. He just doesn't often get an opportunity to say anything. Like yesterday when Lombardi got into his report on Washington and Mallett going top 20, when he finally got a chance to ask Lombardi a question, it was a semi-aggressive question saying considering all the GMs and scouts that have such serious concerns about Ryan Mallett, can Bobby Petrino's word really carry that much weight and make a dent in that?

In other words, he is somehow convinced that he has word from 32 of 32 general managers, that they've told him the truth, and they hate Ryan Mallett. And he tried to make that abundantly clear during our interview. I don't even know how many times he interrupted me during the interview and went on with some point he thought he was making that would shoot holes in my arguments. And in the end, he still lost on points. Though, I don't know how it'll look on editing. They could and probably will edit out my best retorts.

I had a great one, after Burmeister dropped some news that wasn't really out there, see if he could rattle me a little bit, I was talking about the teams' motivations for lying and he said something to the effect of yes but we're talking about private off the record conversations with people you trust, why do they have the motivation to lie in that situation. I replied because it's funny how those 'off the record' conversations suddenly become 'on the record' on programs like this one. That'll get edited out. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup. It was all but an ambush, since I had zero warning that it would even be a debate type of interview. But if you really pay attention, he's been chomping at the bit on Ryan Mallett for a while. He just doesn't often get an opportunity to say anything. Like yesterday when Lombardi got into his report on Washington and Mallett going top 20, when he finally got a chance to ask Lombardi a question, it was a semi-aggressive question saying considering all the GMs and scouts that have such serious concerns about Ryan Mallett, can Bobby Petrino's word really carry that much weight and make a dent in that?

In other words, he is somehow convinced that he has word from 32 of 32 general managers, that they've told him the truth, and they hate Ryan Mallett. And he tried to make that abundantly clear during our interview. I don't even know how many times he interrupted me during the interview and went on with some point he thought he was making that would shoot holes in my arguments. And in the end, he still lost on points. Though, I don't know how it'll look on editing. They could and probably will edit out my best retorts.

I had a great one, after Burmeister dropped some news that wasn't really out there, see if he could rattle me a little bit, I was talking about the teams' motivations for lying and he said something to the effect of yes but we're talking about private off the record conversations with people you trust, why do they have the motivation to lie in that situation. I replied because it's funny how those 'off the record' conversations suddenly become 'on the record' on programs like this one. That'll get edited out. :)

ha ha...i think that is gonna make you a one and done path to the draft guest

after you had sent me what you sent me in pm and i connected the dots on just who burmeister was i was watchin path to the draft late last night on my dvr and i did notice that just like you said when lombardi was waxing poetic about mallett in the top 20 burmeister couldn't wait to get in his little snippet on character concerns with gms around the league...

too funny

Good comeback....maybe good enough that they'd actually keep it in the interview.

ha ha...i think that is gonna make you a one and done path to the draft guest

after you had sent me what you sent me in pm and i connected the dots on just who burmeister was i was watchin path to the draft late last night on my dvr and i did notice that just like you said when lombardi was waxing poetic about mallett in the top 20 burmeister couldn't wait to get in his little snippet on character concerns with gms around the league...

too funny

Perhaps. The producer loved it. He told me afterward it was Paul Burmeister who took a bad approach, not the approach he wanted him to take (and so you can imagine what kind of notice I had on what direction it was going to go, since the producer wanted it to go the more normal way and he was the guy that was in contact with me the weeks leading up to it), but that my answers were very direct and very effective and that I should be very pleased with my performance. If being a little too good and/or aggressive in my retorts at times when a guy pulls his claws out on me, makes me one and done on Path to the Draft...so be it. I wasn't expecting more than that anyway. But it did ensure that I'm not one and done on the Miami Dolphins' radio show with Jesse Agler, Keith Sims, Troy Drayton, etc. I did that show a few weeks back and the integrated media producer who arranged it happened to be the guy doing the technical support for my satellite interview with the NFL Network, and after I got done with it, he asked me to be on their live NFL Draft coverage during the draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps. The producer loved it. He told me afterward it was Paul Burmeister who took a bad approach, not the approach he wanted him to take (and so you can imagine what kind of notice I had on what direction it was going to go, since the producer wanted it to go the more normal way and he was the guy that was in contact with me the weeks leading up to it), but that my answers were very direct and very effective and that I should be very pleased with my performance. If being a little too good at debate at times when a guy pulls his claws out on me, makes me one and done on Path to the Draft...so be it. I wasn't expecting more than that anyway. But it did ensure that I'm not one and done on the Miami Dolphins' radio show with Jesse Agler, Keith Sims, Troy Drayton, etc. I did that show a few weeks back and the integrated media producer who arranged it happened to be the guy doing the technical support for my satellite interview with the NFL Network, and after I got done with it, he asked me to be on their live NFL Draft coverage during the draft.

nice...

No quarterback has "most of his throws" being impressive with pressure in his face. This is a pressure video. I think you're suffering a little loss of perspective. Some of the best QBs in the league have about 60.0 QB ratings when they have to deal with pressure. He didn't throw most of those throws off his back foot, it was about half and half (I've dissected this video six ways to Sunday). And Dan Marino once said that if he were evaluating a quarterback he would ask the guy to throw 100 balls off his back foot in practice, because in the NFL you'll need to do that a lot as the pocket breaks down. Throwing off the back foot is one of those catch 22's. Coaches don't like to see a player do it unnecessarily because it can lead to bad throws, but at the same time, they love when they see a guy like Mallett who can throw it off his back foot and still get the ball where it needs to be...because they KNOW that no matter how much they preach to a quarterback not to throw it off his back foot, he's going to NEED to do exactly that. As Dan Marino says, it's a fact of life in the NFL, and he'd want to make sure his quarterback can do it because he felt like he did it all the time (he did).

When people say that Mallett has horrible footwork I'm not sure I understand what they mean. I don't know how you can look at his footwork and say it's horrible when he's doing it just how you coach it. His drops are relatively precise, he doesn't overstep his throws (especially 2010, after his foot injury in late 2009), he gets over his front leg...his footwork is actually pretty polished. Does he have room for improvements in stride length and keeping his feet a little more active especially on rollouts and sprint-outs? Sure. But when people say "horrible footwork" I just feel like that's way off the mark and I wonder what a coach would say to it.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I saw most of his throws in that clip from his back foot and bailing on many. As far as his horrible footwork he takes long strides which get him off balance. Yes I understand he is 6'7" and his strides are going to look long, but his are and looks off balance often. The only thing I see good from Mallett is a cannon of an arm, but it takes more than that to be a successful QB in the NFL and I just don't see it from him.

You get all kinds of stories about how different guys approach it. Supposedly Andy Reid always falls in love with a certain player and either trades up to get him or if that doesn't materialize and he misses out on the player, he trades back. Bill Belichick supposedly approaches each pick like he's automatically going to trade it...and if that trade doesn't materialize he just turns in the name.

I'm not willing to take my chances trading backward, but I'm willing to stay put at #15 and see what happens.

Incidentally I really don't think there will be a lot of trading this year. I've seen some insider reports to that effect.

Do you consider the Bill Belichick way of supposedly approaching each pick like he's automatically going to trade it the best way to play the draft in the long run. The Pats have accumulated a number of picks this way over the years.

I really don't think they'll keep it. That one was a little too sharp I think. I mean Burmeister sort of stepped into it. He gets done revealing what these GMs have told him about Ryan Mallett, then suggests they were private. 'off the record' conversations and therefore there's no way they would lie. I mean, come on...what was I supposed to do?

It was actually just revenge because early in the interrogation before I really realized where he was going with all this, we're debating on how truthful NFL teams are when they "reveal" what they think about these prospects and I'm trying to make the case for independent studies like ours, and so I point out that first off you don't even know what the consensus is because you've got reports that conflict with one another, you have guys telling Peter King and Len Pasquarelli that they have no problems with Ryan Mallett's character. So he thinks he's got me, interrupts me and says but you just got done saying they all lie so how can you use those reports to cast doubt on the other reports, to which I had to say I'm not using them to cast doubt on just the other reports, I'm using them to cast doubt on the whole pile of reports, as they're conflicting and sourced from people with muddy motivations. He thought he scored a sharp one there, and some people would say he did, especially since he interrupted me and generally wouldn't let me finish my thoughts, but I thought I had a good answer to it.

So my sharp reply was really just revenge for his sharp one earlier.

I doubt it'll be more than another call-in but still, he's a guy that witnessed the whole exchange and for whatever reason decided hey we should have him back on again.
I'm sorry if you have mentioned this somewhere else CK, but when is this interviewing airing?

I doubt it'll be more than another call-in but still, he's a guy that witnessed the whole exchange and for whatever reason decided hey we should have him back on again.

they're gonna look to you to tie a bow on the whole thing after we **** the bed on day 1 with our top pick...:lol:

Back
Top Bottom