Mallett in Play for #10 to Washington | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mallett in Play for #10 to Washington

There are no acceptable contingencies after passing on franchise QB.

If he doesn't get to the pick, you don't pass on him. You also can't trade when you don't have the ammunition to do so. I'm not against taking a quarterback in this draft, but I am against selling the entire draft to get one. I got news for you. As good as I think Ryan Mallett can be in the NFL, if he has no running game, he is going to struggle initially. The reason Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco have had such early success is the fact that they have had strong running games. In Miami, we have no running game. If you trade a 3rd, a 4th, and a 5th to move up 5-6 spots in the first round to take a QB, you are going to have a very hard time building a running game with a 6th round pick and three 7th round picks.

What will be interesting to follow is this? Is Miami to the point with Chad Henne that they would take Christian Ponder at 15 if Ryan Mallett isn't on the board? I can't say I would be against it, but part of me would rather they simply get a lineman if Mallett is gone and go forward with Henne at least for the next year. And I'm a guy that really likes Christian Ponder.

The gasp idea though, and quite frankly, it makes me quite nauseated to think about it is that Miami would actually reach for Colin Kaepernick this high. The fact that he got invited to the draft scares the **** out of me, because I know Miami likes him for some reason.

Totally agree with CK on this one,I just don't see teams trading away their picks as freeley as in years past.

Thats just it, you thought. And actually yes, they are speculating this draft could break 1983's record for QB's in round 1.

Bluefin please, the reason there were so many QBs in the 1st round in '83 was due to the talent. If more QBs are drafted this year that would be due to the lack of CBA and not the talent. That fact can not be disputed. I'll check back with all of you in, how many years do you want 5?, and I'll put $$ on it. No more than 2 QBs out of this class will be starters in the NFL.

Bluefin please, the reason there were so many QBs in the 1st round in '83 was due to the talent. If more QBs are drafted this year that would be due to the lack of CBA and not the talent. That fact can not be disputed. I'll check back with all of you in, how many years do you want 5?, and I'll put $$ on it. No more than 2 QBs out of this class will be starters in the NFL.

And that's going out on a limb.

We don't have the ammunition to trade up, almost positive of that.

IF they like Mallet #15, they're almost forced to take him to keep their job security.

If Mallet's gone ... they'll probably try to trade down, get more ammunition to maneuver a bit & get their 2nd choice QB later on. (You just can't blow a great pick for another QB you don't rate so high!)

If everyone goes gaga taking all the QBs before 15 ... there's going to be a lot of studs on the board to draft or get a trade ... and WE HAVE ALOT OF HOLES TO FILL!!

Yeah, we want a QB & the FO wants one more ... its their job & arse on the griddle ... but you have to be smart & use your ammunition wisely TOO!! Picking fools will be worse ... we'll get busts & have nothing to show, like many of our other drafts!!

We all want a QB ... but if I had to CHOOSE BETWEEN .... a Good Draft or a dicey QB ... I'll take the Good Draft any day!!

Trading up to take the 3rd or 4th QB in the 1st round in the draft is stupid. Trading up to take the 1st QB isnt stupid, regardless of who it is & what what the fans want, because each GM/Coach will have different views to the next on what QB is No 1.

We are not in a position to trade up. With no 2nd round pick, and at this point with the non CBA I dont think we can offer future picks, so to give up a 3rd, 4th etc is suicide. we need every pick available, and then some.

If Mallett is gone - and I have the Bungals trading up to take Gabbert, Mallett going to the 49ers, Newton to the Titans, Ponder to the Vikes, the skins will take Jones IMO, that leave the chargers trading up with us to take Aldon Smith, and we grab there 2nd 2nd rounder & taking either ingram or Castonzo with our 1st. I can also see the Giants trading up for to our spot for Ingram ...

There is no impact player in this draft at any other position that would want us to take them at 15 IMO unless maybe Julio Jones and we dont really need a WR like that, but would make an impact. pouncey is nice but there is a G or two later we could get who would be nice IMO...we need a second rounder.

It would be QUITE the shock to see Shanahan go with Mallett. But, playing devil's advocate for a moment here...

1) Mallett considers the Petrino offense he played in to be very compatible with the WCO as it was a very horizontally oriented offense

2) The thing he can do that would intrigue Shanahan, if that is in fact true (big IF, I agree with y'all), would be bootleg out (which he did multiple times a game) and throw BIG on the run. Very aggressive, very accurate. I saw something like 9 or 10 bootleg pass attempts in the five games I watched, and he was near flawless on the accuracy excepting one play where he booted out, a linebacker was chasing him, and he just held the ball a beat too long and was being hit as he threw. What he does on these bootlegs is not just find that short option that it seems like so many elementary QBs do, but he finds that deep option and can throw to the guy. Check out my Ryan Mallett under pressure video and at the end of it is when you see him on these rollouts, and some of those throws are dang impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBQVNQXrSYE&feature=player_embedded

CK great stuff as always, what I see is when he gets pressured he throws off his back foot most of the time. His arm is strong enough he can get away with that in college, but in the pros he will be a pick 6 machine. The roll out throws were impressive, but most of the throws on this clip were not. I am not a Mallett fan and never have been. He has a cannon of an arm there is no doubt, but he has horrible footwork and is a statue back there. I just don't se any way how he fits with Miami.

Your a good advocate, damn now we will have to trade up with Dallas to get Mallett. Which I am ok with.

This makes me wish that Parcells was still here.

We could have traded Parcells back to Dallas to jump up a few spots, or maybe a bag of chips

There are no acceptable contingencies after passing on franchise QB.

None of them are franchise QB's . . . they could all bust out of the league in 3 years. This team has too many needs on offense to sell the farm for a guy who obviously isn't the cleanest QB prospect out there. If he slides to them at 15, by all means take him and be done, but explore the trade offers also . . . and if there are any questionable feelings about Mallet, trade down . . . if he is your guy, take him. If he gets snatched up before you pick . . . oh well, this pre draft process lasts like 3 months, they better have another plan in place or that just isn't very smart.

None of them are franchise QB's . . . they could all bust out of the league in 3 years. This team has too many needs on offense to sell the farm for a guy who obviously isn't the cleanest QB prospect out there. If he slides to them at 15, by all means take him and be done, but explore the trade offers also . . . and if there are any questionable feelings about Mallet, trade down . . . if he is your guy, take him. If he gets snatched up before you pick . . . oh well, this pre draft process lasts like 3 months, they better have another plan in place or that just isn't very smart.

The plan in place would/should have one of two names:

1. Christian Ponder (lot to like - lot to be weary of)
2. Better luck next year

This makes me wish that Parcells was still here.

We could have traded Parcells back to Dallas to jump up a few spots, or maybe a bag of chips

Our connection with Dallas is not gone with Parcells. Ireland and Sparano are both from Dallas too, remember. If anything, having the jerk off of our team might actually help our standing with them.

I would not be opposed to a trade up if Mallett was their guy.

If he doesn't get to the pick, you don't pass on him. You also can't trade when you don't have the ammunition to do so. I'm not against taking a quarterback in this draft, but I am against selling the entire draft to get one. I got news for you. As good as I think Ryan Mallett can be in the NFL, if he has no running game, he is going to struggle initially. The reason Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco have had such early success is the fact that they have had strong running games. In Miami, we have no running game. If you trade a 3rd, a 4th, and a 5th to move up 5-6 spots in the first round to take a QB, you are going to have a very hard time building a running game with a 6th round pick and three 7th round picks.

So we get the QB this year, build the running game next off-season when Mallett would be more seasoned, and be ready to rock and roll come 2012.

It just seems to me this franchise has been in one year mode for far too long, and all it's produced is disapointment after dispointment, we haven't really contended for anything. Trading away future picks for lesser picks now....etc etc etc

I would strongly endorse a gameplan of getting the franchise QB, and building the rest around him in the next year or so, and just maybe this will be a relevent franchise come 2012-2020.

Back
Top Bottom