Mallett in Play for #10 to Washington | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mallett in Play for #10 to Washington

I think the more important note is Lombardi saying after talking to a bunch of people around the league he's convinced Mallett goes top 20. Burmeister brought up character issues and Lombardi replied that Bobby Petrino is going hard to bat for Ryan and that's carrying weight among the teams. Burmeister should recognize that response. It's exactly what I said to him Friday.

Yeah, I think we all can recognize Miami's interest by the number of visits he's had in Miami and surmise he won't be around past 15.

I don't see this as a surprise, I've have been feeling for a while now that his stock is rising and that he might go at 9, 10, or 12 ahead of our pick.

9 or 10 mostly due to Dallas and Washington being willing to trade down and somebody jumping ahead of us to get him.

He is the next prospect after Newton and Gabbert at QB and that would make their picks the right spot for this.

It will be interesting, I just hate the thought of settling for a RB or OL prospect as this will not put this team over the top.

wait a minute...paul burmeister as in the host on nfl network??? i understand he may have some inside scoop being who he's around every day but from a actual player evaluation stance what weight does his opinion carry???

in another segment of "lets just throw a curveball in here and see what might happen" where they have us taking redskins pick at 10....yeah right.

Just stay at 15, and Mallett will be there for sure. Trade down and just get a pick and Mallett will still be there. Casserly is right, dont reach, but if you drop down, it looks alot better and less risky even though it still is. But I think the upside is much much higher than anyone thinks. This guy is not ryan leaf. He loves being coached up and will do what it takes.

like i said before the latest i would drop and feel like i have a good shot at mallett would be pick #20 and tampa...after that your in trump territory...

you got to have balls though to have everyone in the world KNOW you got to have a qb and trade down 5 slots to acquire a 3rd round pick and still get him given how many teams need qb help around the league

brass balls

Dear Ireland, Ross & Sparano,

Anyone but Mallet and Pouncey (regardless of round).

Sincerely,
Hurriphin

wait a minute...paul burmeister as in the host on nfl network??? i understand he may have some inside scoop being who he's around every day but from a actual player evaluation stance what weight does his opinion carry???

He seemed to think his opinion carried lots of weight, during our interview. Or at least, he hid behind all of the evidently dozens of general managers whose phone numbers he clearly has on speed dial and whom all tell him the whole truth and nothing but the truth about what they think of these players.

It's smokescreen time. Every team that needs a QB is going to float the idea of possibly taking him to look to drum up interest for their pick or to steer teams off what they truly intend to do.

After what they went through with VY, I'd think the next guy they take highly will be squeaky clean.

At some point you have to draw a line as far as what you think has a good chance of happening and also what might be giving up too much, etc. For me that means just staying put at #15 and seeing if Mallett gets there. If he doesn't, then you go into scramble mode.

At some point you have to draw a line as far as what you think has a good chance of happening and also what might be giving up too much, etc. For me that means just staying put at #15 and seeing if Mallett gets there. If he doesn't, then you go into scramble mode.

I'm sure they have contingency plans and will have some offers out there. If none are good enough, they have to decide if they like Ponder enough to go for at 15, or take Pouncey, Carimi, Castonzo instead. Or perhaps a pass rusher.

Should be interesting.

There are no acceptable contingencies after passing on franchise QB.

hang tough, don't get cute

take mallet when he falls to us at #15

go home and come back in the 3rd

You get all kinds of stories about how different guys approach it. Supposedly Andy Reid always falls in love with a certain player and either trades up to get him or if that doesn't materialize and he misses out on the player, he trades back. Bill Belichick supposedly approaches each pick like he's automatically going to trade it...and if that trade doesn't materialize he just turns in the name.

I'm not willing to take my chances trading backward, but I'm willing to stay put at #15 and see what happens.

Incidentally I really don't think there will be a lot of trading this year. I've seen some insider reports to that effect.

Back
Top Bottom