Mando: Ireland going "all in" this offseason, good read! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mando: Ireland going "all in" this offseason, good read!

The Colts are a paper tiger, just like Miami in 2008. We thought we were on the upswing too and look what happened? Best of luck to them getting those lucky bounces again.

Seriously, you guys are getting so repetitive it's driving me nuts. JUST STOP. WAIT IT OUT. WE HAVE HIM FOR AT LEAST ANOTHER YEAR.
The Colts threw last season to get Luck. However, they actually put talent around him like intelligent team managers.

I love this false narrative that Ireland "has" to hit this offseason or he's in real trouble.

Wheres the proof for that attitude? From all the evidence we have, the guy is completely bulletproof. Jerry Jones has less job security than Ireland. I have my sig set to Ross declaring his expectations of making the playoffs. A losing season later, Ross is still convinced everything is acceptable.

I have every expectation of reading this article again a year from now. Granted, the year will change and the free agent bust example will be different, but hey this time Ireland is in real trouble because he cant blame it on....ugh....well, im sure someone will be thrown under the bus.

Spesh, you nailed it. Can anyone show me any public statement from any of the Dolphins principals where it is said that Ireland will be held accountable if we don't succeed in 2013? If it is out there I sure haven't seen it. Based upon what I have seen over the last five years I agree that Ireland appears to be above any accountability for the results of this organization.

I don't think he has a choice, if they don't make the playoffs this year he's going to be out of a job.

I don't think he has a choice, if they don't make the playoffs this year he's going to be out of a job.
yeah the local "irelanders" all agree with that. The fact that I don't hate ireland seems to be the main point of contention with the membership that obviously wants to rape him with a razer blade dildo, pour salt in the wounds, have a shark bite of his nuts, then while that's going apparently fry at least one of his kidneys and feed it to him.

Think i'm exaggerating? bull**** some of them really do hate him that much.

yeah the local "irelanders" all agree with that. The fact that I don't hate ireland seems to be the main point of contention with the membership that obviously wants to rape him with a razer blade dildo, pour salt in the wounds, have a shark bite of his nuts, then while that's going apparently fry at least one of his kidneys and feed it to him.

Think i'm exaggerating? bull**** some of them really do hate him that much.

Regardless of everything he has done in the past he has a chance to make up for it. Plenty of picks and cap room, there's no excuse why Miami shouldn't be a playff team if he doesn't have a good offseason. He's in a good spot.

The Colts threw last season to get Luck. However, they actually put talent around him like intelligent team managers.

I love that there are people that actually think the the Colts purposely lost last year. Losing one of the best QB's of the past 25 years right before the season with no real backup to speak of i'm sure had nothing to do with it. I'm sure the players playing for contracts were totally willing to sacrifice future earning by dropping passes, missing blocks, fumbling etc. I'm sure Jim Caldwell couldn't wait to take one for the team and get fired and put that on his resume. Makes sense

There were, predictably, very few golden nuggets coming out of the Jeff Ireland meeting with the media this afternoon after the Senior Bowl's North squad morning practice in Mobile, Ala.
Ireland wants Jake Long back but it's a tough negotiation and he doesn't want to overpay. We knew that already. He would take Reggie Bush back but the Dolphins have depth at RB and he doesn't want to overpay. We knew that already. He said tight end Michael Egnew will have a good season in 2013, but that's exactly what anyone would expect him to say of a player he picked but didn't produce as a rookie. (Remember Gibril Wilson?)
None of that is news. None of that is all that interesting to me.
This is:
Ireland seemed to acknowledge for the first time that he better do extraordinary things that improve the Dolphins in extraordinary ways this offseason because the mircoscope is on him.
"I think this is the year you've got to do something," Ireland said at one point. "We look forward to making some big news before too long."
"This is a big offseason for us. We understand that," he said later.
He said he's going to be looking for playmakers on offense this year and that the draft, free agency and trades are on the table. He said the Dolphins would explore "revery single opportunity and avenue" for getting better.
So Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland is seemingly all in this offseason.
It's good that Ireland will apparently adopt that approach because I've complained the Dolphins have been all too passive and, in some cases, inactive the past two offseasons when it came to free agency and trades and alike.
But I believe the reason Ireland may take this new route this offseason has to do on some level with his own status. Ireland admitted he is a "polarizing" figure in South Florida. That's his way of acknowledging that fans hate dislike him.
But Ireland has had the favor of Stephen Ross despite the negative public sentiment because he's been able to convince the Dolphins owner that the franchise is headed in the right direction and has been making wise, long-lasting personnel choices. I suppose to some degree, Ireland has also made the case that he wasn't in charge under Bill Parcells although he's been the general manager since 2008.
But that argument can be made for only so long. And that window is now closed.
It says here Ireland has to emerge from this offseason a winner by making the Dolphins a winner. His moves have to significantly improve the team because A.) He's got so many draft picks and so much salary cap space at his disposal and B.) The argument that building a team takes time and he wasn't responsible for what happened in 2008 and 2009 and 2010 fades considering he was undeniably responsible for all the personnel decisions of 2011, 2012 and this offseason.
Ireland knows (or should know) that if we're sitting here a year from now, in January of 2014, discussing how far the Dolphins continue to be from being a winner, the responsibility for that gap still existing will fall squarely on him and no one else.
It won't be on Joe Philbin, whom the owner respects.
It won't be on assistant coaches, whom Philbin respects.
It won't be on circumstances, because that excuse was exhausted during the Parcells departure and Tony Sparano firing.
It'll be on Ireland, folks.
The bullseye is on him.
And Ireland knows it and is accepting that.
That is why I think Ireland will be aggressive this offseason. That is why I think he will spend money. That is why I think he will consider trades he might not have considered in past years.
The man needs to hit a home run. And to do that, you have to actually take some big swings.

Mando and his naive opinion pieces are the main reason people blame Ireland for everything. Mando is not very knowledgable about football, just a good creator of drama and bs.

It still amazes me how fans continue to believe "this is the year" we are going to spend big. "This is the year" we're finally going to make a big splash in FA. "This is the year" we are going to be aggressive in the draft and go get big time offensive skill position players.

"This is the year".

I believe the greatest job Ireland has done the entire time he's been here is become a politician. The 2 biggest "splashes" or "statements" you can make in spending money or deciding the direction of a football team is your Head Coach and your QB. All other decisions from a GM standpoint are secondary. Whatever philosophy you use in those decisions you will use in all other decisions.

Not too mention he has shrewdly leveraged himself against Jake Long and Reggie Bush. He can low ball them and if they walk, they appear to be the bad guys. He'll state the Dolphins made a "fair" deal to both men so that we may be able to pursue "big name" talent and "difference makers" to help the team. Yet, we'll never know what "fair deal" they were offered. Then, whether they resign or go elsewhere, we STILL won't get those "big name, difference makers". So, he gets to remain true to his original plan; don't take risks that could immediately jeopardize his job.

"The right players weren't available", "we may fair offers but they chose another team".... yada yada yada. And the beat goes on.

If you need excuses, you can always find one.

We supposedly swung and miss on 2 big name coaches then chose a lesser known, first time head coach. We supposedly were going to be in the Peyton Manning race, in the Matt Flynn race, in the Alex Smith race and in any other race that involved a QB over how many years? And we chose the safe choice, a QB our new offensive coordinator had personally groomed with little experience. A great excuse to have in the bag when things go south.

I'm fine with the RT choice and the reasoning behind it. But if it had come from a GM that didn't consistently low ball on every FA and practice acorn logic on every draft decision.... I would have respected it more. The fact remains, every choice he makes is always the cheapest and least flashy option of all the ones in front of him. It's not happenstance, it's a methodology.

Stop thinking we are "going big". Get back on the porch and watch all the other dogs pass by.

The only "big time" move we are making this year is signing a declining Greg Jennings who can't stay healthy to a value deal. We'll stand pat or trade down with our draft picks and continue to draft the safest pick. We'll watch the "big name" FA's come in for a visit, just so they can take our low ball offer to another team and say "can you beat this?".

And we will be left time and time again at the altar alone. All the time, the spin doctor will continue to promise "big things are coming" and explain how we "gave them a fair offer".

The girl who keeps telling you that she wants to go out with you but always finds a reason to date all the other guys needs a date to the prom. Wanna go?

She promises to make up for all the times she's let you down. Because this time "it's really going to happen". Now run along and get fitted for a tux.

Yeah, great read man. Ireland wants to get "playmakers", as opposed to the other GM's who really aren't looking out for playmakers. Awesome strategy.

We got a GM looking for "playmakers". This is a really progressive concept. We're in good hands boys.

I love that there are people that actually think the the Colts purposely lost last year. Losing one of the best QB's of the past 25 years right before the season with no real backup to speak of i'm sure had nothing to do with it. I'm sure the players playing for contracts were totally willing to sacrifice future earning by dropping passes, missing blocks, fumbling etc. I'm sure Jim Caldwell couldn't wait to take one for the team and get fired and put that on his resume. Makes sense

There were options other than Curtis Painter, available on their own roster, that were clearly better (and did result in the Colts winning games when they were finally used).

But of course, the Irsay family would NEVER oversee a team that would go out and full on tank the year that there is a great #1 overall QB prospect coming out, right? I mean, Elway, Manning, Luck, no coincidence there?

There were options other than Curtis Painter, available on their own roster, that were clearly better (and did result in the Colts winning games when they were finally used).

But of course, the Irsay family would NEVER oversee a team that would go out and full on tank the year that there is a great #1 overall QB prospect coming out, right? I mean, Elway, Manning, Luck, no coincidence there?
Jeff george

Which "better" option are you referring to? Dan Orlovsky? The same Dan Orlovsky that helped the Lions go 0-16 in 2008 and is back to where he should be...the bench in T.B. Or maybe the 38 year old Kerry Collins that the Colts gave 4 million to, to come out of retirement and hold the fort down until Manning came back early in the season like they originally thought was going to happen. Collins started until he got a concussion that landed him on the IR . That's when Painter took over. Painter also had the support of their second best player who openly expressed that even when Collins was starting. Guess Reggie Wayne didn't get the "we're tanking the season to get rid of Manning memo". So who was the better option? There's no correct answer. They're all terrible. Point is is tha team was built around Manning and once he was done, they were done.

And are you also trying to say that the Irsay's tanked other seasons as well to get the top pick? You do realize the Colts were horrible in the late 70's and early 80's right? They hadn't had a winning record since 77, and in 81 went 2-14 and 0-8-1 in the strike shortened 82 season. They would have been on a 6 year plan to ultimately end up with Elway just so they could trade him away. So that debunks that

You need to do some research and back them up with something if you're going to make these types of claims

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, they kept starting Curtis Painter at QB when everyone could see that Dan Orlovsky gave them a better shot at winning. Also, the Colts have just happened to have the first overall pick the years that John Elway, Jeff George, Peyton Manning, and Andrew Luck came out. The four highest rated QB prospects ever. I'm sure that was all just a coincidence. I'm not saying that they started out with the intention of tanking the season, but once they lost four of five games it seems like they packed it in.

Back
Top Bottom