Maradonna Or Pele!!! | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Maradonna Or Pele!!!

Boomer said:
Ronaldinho is a ridiculously good player, but I don't think he's the best player in the world at the moment.

Then who?

Boomer said:
Lost in this debate is the fact that you could make very strong cases for players such as Franco Baresi, Johan Cruyff, Michel Platini, Eusebio, Bobby Moore, Garrincha, Di Stefano, Gerd Muller, Puskas, George Best, Franz Beckenbaur, even Oleg Blokhin to be very close to any list involving Pele, Maradona and Zidane.

Most of the 'great player' debates are positionally biased anyway. Rarely would you ever see a list involving a defender or a goalkeeper and yet Baresi, Moore, Paolo Maldini, etc. are never considered. Likewise Gordon Banks, Dino Zoff, Peter Schmeichal, etc.
Great post as always Boom

Prime Time said:
Then who?

The two best leagues in the world are La Liga and the Premiership, ahead of Serie A. The best two players in La Liga, when fit, are probably Ronaldinho and Xavi, both of Barcelona. The best two players in the Premiership are Thierry Henry and Steven Gerrard.

Ronaldinho is a great passer, can beat a man, can score and has an amazing array of tricks. But he does very little else especially defensively. And if you take away the tricks, then you have a good player, but perhaps not a great one. Xavi controls the game as well as any midfielder in the game. He's like Andrea Pirlo in that everything goes through him. He's a real pace setter and whilst he doesn't get in the box a great deal, he's a tremendous player.

Henry, to my mind is the best player in world football at the moment. I support Liverpool and yet I was thrilled when he announced that he was staying at Arsenal 3 months ago. To watch him play every week is a pleasure. He has it all.

Gerrard also has it all. He has carried Liverpool for 5 years now and is only just getting the help he deserves. He singlehandedly took Liverpool into the Champions League 3 years ago, then kept them in it with one of the greatest goals I've ever seen against Olympiakos in the last minute, after needing to score 3 times in the 2nd half and then again almost singlehandedly winning the Champions League Final, first in midfield and then as an emergency right back in extra time. Player of the Year in the Premiership this year with 23 goals and winning the FA Cup on his own, he's the most complete player in the world at the moment, having played every position apart from in goal for Liverpool.

Henry, Gerrard and Ronaldinho, with Kaka and Pirlo are probably the best 5 players in the world at the moment. Unfortunately, Dmanech, Ericksson and Parreira haven't played to the strengths of their best players in the world cup and that's shown.

If you were to ask me to pick 1 player to start a team with, it'd either be Henry or Gerrard and I think a lot of people would say the same.

Gerrard..who didn't see that coming...

I doubt very much would say Gerrard :lol:

Henry is good when he plays for his Club, he struggles for France and has struggled for quite some time. And he is always getting caught offside.

Ronaldinho..best player hands down.

Prime Time said:

Henry is good when he plays for his Club, he struggles for France and has struggled for quite some time. And he is always getting caught offside.

Ronaldino Did SQUAT

Prime Time said:

You don't half talk some ****e.

You're right, Steven Gerrard is rubbish. If you even knew HALF what you think you know about football, you'd be dangerous.

You're right, Thierry Henry is just 'good'. :rolleyes2

The only reason he struggles for France is because of the way Domanech sets the team up. It's a team built around Zidane and his strengths.

"Football icon Pele, meanwhile, has hailed the talents of Gerrard and believes the Reds skipper national team.

World Cup legend Pele is a big admirer of the Reds midfield dynamo and feels he would fit into any team.

Brazil is not a defensively-minded team and Gerrard is always going forward and he would play in my team, no doubt," said Pele. "Gerrard is an excellent player, absolutely world-class.

If I was a manager, everywhere I went I would buy Steven Gerrard.

He is what Brazil needs, because he is always looking forward and has a big heart. Two years ago I saw Gerrard play and then I saw him in Tokyo in a game against Sao Paulo. I said then that Gerrard is a great player. To me he is the best midfielder in the world. He is an excellent player."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/4769923.stm

"If Rooney was England's best hope at the World Cup then Gerrard, peerless in the Premiership as an attacking midfielder and a player whose world-class credentials are indisputable, represents the best hope of Rooney being adequately replaced. He may even prove that England miss Rooney far less than they previously feared."

"When Steven Gerrard this week described Wayne Rooney as England’s "key player and our best player", it could be claimed that he did himself something of a disservice. Many believe, after all, that even Rooney’s considerable talents pale in comparison to those of the talismanic Livepool skipper, whose skill, drive and energy make him, arguably, the complete midfielder.
Pele certainly seems to think so, describing the 26-year-old yesterday as “an excellent player, absolutely world-class,” and “the best midfielder in the world." High praise, and yet those who witness at close quarters Gerrard’s ability to influence - and, at times, rescue - the teams in which he plays tend to go even further in their tributes.

"I'd put Steven in the top three or four players in the world and in my opinion I would say he is probably the best," is the view of John Terry, the Chelsea captain."

"Steven Gerrard and Liverpool go hand in hand. The 24 year old is remains one of the few top caliber United European Football Association (UEFA) players who has played with the same team since his signing as a youth. Many pundits consider Gerrard as the best midfielder in the game"

Et cetera.

dominizzo said:
Boomer Will beckham lace em up for Euro?

In the European Championships? Very unlikely. Aaron Lennon and Shaun Wright Phillips will battle it out to play there.

Boomer said:
You don't half talk some ****e.

What??

You're right, Steven Gerrard is rubbish. If you even knew HALF what you think you know about football, you'd be dangerous.

Never said he was rubbish. :sidelol: But I love how you think you know it all when it comes to Football..when quite frankly, you don't.

You're right, Thierry Henry is just 'good'. :rolleyes2

The only reason he struggles for France is because of the way Domanech sets the team up. It's a team built around Zidane and his strengths.

Okay and did I say he struggles because he is a bad player? :rolleyes: Try again Booms.

I see Becks lacing up for the Euro Cup. His final tourney...

I got a serious problem calling a guy that is "just a striker" one of the best players in the league. (Thierry Henry)

A Football match is won in the midfield. IMO, only a midfielder or a striker that plays more than 40% of the pitch deserves such a distinction.

Section126 said:
I got a serious problem calling a guy that is "just a striker" one of the best players in the league. (Thierry Henry)

A Football match is won in the midfield. IMO, only a midfielder or a striker that plays more than 40% of the pitch deserves such a distinction.

So then we'd be ruling Maradona, Pele, etc out of any discussion on being the world's best player.

Back
Top Bottom