Marlins.... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marlins....

I don't doubt that. Every year there will be teams with a Carlos Beltran situation on their hands and with the Yankees money, they will always be able to buy talent. It is unfortunate that things are that way though. I believe Baseball needs a cap and soon.

Deez Nutz said:
It's too bad the Yankees don't have a future. They gave away all of their prospects and minor league players for a bunch of old washed up names.

Are you kidding me? They have never had a good farm system....they buy their talent plain and simple, who cares about a farm system anyways
:rolleyes:

TerryTate said:
Are you kidding me? They have never had a good farm system....they buy their talent plain and simple, who cares about a farm system anyways
:rolleyes:

Not true at all, the latest dynasty was built through th system: Jeter, Bernie, Posada, Mariano, Pettitte, Soriano(wasn't around for the Championships but another homegrown player turned into a star),...

The only teams to "buy" Championships are the 1997 Florida Marlins and 2001 Arizona Diamonbacks and both had to do it to be able to win so quickly. The Yanks latest dynasty was built around an outstanding core of players brought up through their system. They also traded away good prospects to get other players in order to win(Eric Milton, Christain Guzman, Sterling Hitch****, Mike Lowell,...). They started going crazy after high $ FAs in the past 3 years and in that time we haven't won a World Championship.

Prime Time said:
I don't doubt that. Every year there will be teams with a Carlos Beltran situation on their hands and with the Yankees money, they will always be able to buy talent. It is unfortunate that things are that way though. I believe Baseball needs a cap and soon.

If MLb is so screwed up why have they had more Champions than any other major sport in the past 25 years or so?

Since 1980(I'm sure it goes back alot further than this but to make it easier I took it from '80):

MLB: 16 different champions-Phi, LA(twice), SL, Bal, Det, KC, NYM, Min(twice), Oak, Cin, Tor, Atl, NYY(4 times), Fla(twice), Ari, Ana

NHL: 10 different champions-NYI(4 times), Edm(5 times), Mon(2 times), Cal, Pit(2 times), NYR, NJD(3 times), Col(twice), Det(3 times), Dal, TB

NFL: 12 different Champions-Raiders(2 times), SF(5 times), Was(3 times), Chi, NYG(2 times), Dal(3 times), GB, Den(2 times), SL, Bal, NE(2 times), TB

NBA: 7 different Champions-LAL(8 times), Bos(3 times), Phi, Det(3 times), Chi(6 times), Hou(2 times), SA(2 times)

If the game is so unfair and "no other teams can compete" then why does MLB have the most different Champions?

No one complained when the Yanks stunk in the late 80s-early 90s and the Twins & A's were great. The A's stole Rickey henderson from the yanks in '89 which keyed their title run for Greg caderet, Eric plunk & Luis polonia. The Twin set the salry bar by signing Kirby Puckett to the then largest contract in MLB history. Why was it ok then and not now?

Also, Anaheim had a low salary # in '02 and they won a WS, last year it was the Marlins, in '98 SD made the WS. if it was just about money then Bal, NYM, LA, Bos would have won one by now or the Yanks would win every year. Money helps but you need to make good decisions and that is more important.

:rolleyes: This stat of the last 25 years is wack. I bet you If I went back a few years (or did it in last 10 years or something) we would have a different sport with this stat. Baseball needs a cap, without question.

Prime Time said:
:rolleyes: This stat of the last 25 years is wack. I bet you If I went back a few years (or did it in last 10 years or something) we would have a different sport with this stat. Baseball needs a cap, without question.

It's hard to argue that when the yanks have not won a WS since 2000.

Not true at all, the latest dynasty was built through th system: Jeter, Bernie, Posada, Mariano, Pettitte, Soriano(wasn't around for the Championships but another homegrown player turned into a star),...

Okay, now that those players are out of the way, lets see how the NYY get the automatic post-season birth and a great chance to compete for a championship EVERY YEAR....

Jason Giambi from the Oakland A's
PAY-ROD from Texas for Alphonso Soriano (traded your homegrown talent for the best player in the game, this was done by Texas to clear cap room, it was BY NO MEANS an even trade)
Mike Mussina - the former Baltimore Ace if i remember correctly
Hideki Matsui - Godzilla from JApan, possibly the best JApanese hitter ever
Kenny Lofton - One of the best lead-off men of all time
Ruben Sierra - One of the bash brothers that is well-suited as a DH now....follows the tradition of washed up power hitters such as Jose CanSUCKO

The Yankee Salary is three+ times that of the world Champion Florida MArlins and the argument is not that the Yankers win the WS every year, its the fact that they are a LOCK for the post-season in a sport where only 4 teams from the American League make it...thats also a crock of ****....the yankees buy talent to fill holes that their Farm League doesnt produce, and the FArm lEague hasnt produced a young sensation since the guys you mentioned....

Baseball needs a cap, and thats proof right there....A-Rod shouldve been the last straw.

Well said TT :up:! In the AL it only has 3 spots for playoffs because Yankees are always taking one of the real four spots. So only 3 teams every year can make it. The reason they haven't won the WS is because they are getting outplayed but see how teams struggle seasons later and then Yankee fans call them a one year wonder, that is because of the money teams have. And every year Yankees can go out and get ebst player out there in FA. It is BS. Teams like the Marlins are struggling to keep their talent.

And what have we won since we started to go after high $ FAs again? NOTHING! Maybe if other owners weren't so concerned w/ their own pockets and worried about winning then they could be as good as the yanks are every year but many owners choose to not spend so they can make more $. George is not even close to the wealthiest owner in MLB and Yankee Stadium doesn't make near as much $ as other new Stadiums but he puts all the $ back into the team.

On top of the payroll the yanks also pay an enormous amount for the luxury tax which goes to the lower payroll teams, do they put it back into the team? No, those owners put it in their wallets. A few years ago Cincy got about $10 mil from the yanks, did they get a player or 2? No, they used it to help build their Stadium. George can't build a new Stadium but other owners are building Stadiums off of his $.

1 more thing, the yanks fill up every ballpark they go into. Does anyone complain about them then? They love them when they can make an extra mil or 2 for a 3 game set but when george spends $ to win they have a problem.

The bottom line is even though the Yanks payroll is much higher nothig is guaranteed. The last 2 Champions had low-mid payrolls and both defeated the Yanks, if it was just about $ then it would only be high payroll teams in the postseason but ti is not.

nyjunc said:
And what have we won since we started to go after high $ FAs again? NOTHING! Maybe if other owners weren't so concerned w/ their own pockets and worried about winning then they could be as good as the yanks are every year but many owners choose to not spend so they can make more $. George is not even close to the wealthiest owner in MLB and Yankee Stadium doesn't make near as much $ as other new Stadiums but he puts all the $ back into the team.

On top of the payroll the yanks also pay an enormous amount for the luxury tax which goes to the lower payroll teams, do they put it back into the team? No, those owners put it in their wallets. A few years ago Cincy got about $10 mil from the yanks, did they get a player or 2? No, they used it to help build their Stadium. George can't build a new Stadium but other owners are building Stadiums off of his $.

1 more thing, the yanks fill up every ballpark they go into. Does anyone complain about them then? They love them when they can make an extra mil or 2 for a 3 game set but when george spends $ to win they have a problem.

The bottom line is even though the Yanks payroll is much higher nothig is guaranteed. The last 2 Champions had low-mid payrolls and both defeated the Yanks, if it was just about $ then it would only be high payroll teams in the postseason but ti is not.

You missed my point entirely....it was that they were a LOCK for the playoffs....thats the beef I had, when was the last time they missed the playoffs? 1994,1995??? AS i said before, when a team getsa free pass into the playoffs when only 4 teams make it there is ridiculous. All that spending insures that they get in.

TerryTate said:
You missed my point entirely....it was that they were a LOCK for the playoffs....thats the beef I had, when was the last time they missed the playoffs? 1994,1995??? AS i said before, when a team getsa free pass into the playoffs when only 4 teams make it there is ridiculous. All that spending insures that they get in.

The last time the yanks missed the playoffs was 1993, we had the best record in the AL in '94 until the strike. I also grew up never seeing the yanks in the postseason, we missed the postseason from '82-'94. The ridiculous payroll only came about around '00 and we had already made 6 straight postseasons.

Also, I didn't miss your point but I think you may have missed mine. Like I said money definitely helps but you need to make good decisions. Oakland has been int he playoffs for 4 straight years and they don't have a big payroll while the Mets have missed the last 3, Bal the last 6, the Dodgers the last 7. Also, why don't you complain about the Braves, the last postseason w/o the Braves was 1990.

Like TT said, you are missing the point. Every team should have an equal shot at making the playoffs every year. The Yanks make it every year because of the $$$. Baseball needs a cap, no Ifs, Ands, or Buts about it.

Anyone see the Yankee game last night. Boy is Jeter tough. He has rings, and the money yet he still sacrifices his body for a win. If you saw the game you would know what Im talking about. Man that was a great game though!!!

t2thejz said:
Anyone see the Yankee game last night. Boy is Jeter tough. He has rings, and the money yet he still sacrifices his body for a win. If you saw the game you would know what Im talking about. Man that was a great game though!!!

Amazing game and amazing play by Jeter(though it wasn't the smartest play, I'd rather he drop the ball and Boston win then to lose him for an extended period of time). Jeter may not put up #s like Nomar and other SS but he makes plays like last night and has a will to win that is greater than any of them and that's why I have always said that while Jeter isn't the best SS in the game I wouldn't trade him for any of the others.

1088757412-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom