Mathis vs Turner vs Colledge? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mathis vs Turner vs Colledge?

So Be

Club Member
Reaction score
I'm going to revisit this one last time because it still really bothers me. We could have traded a 3rd rounder (turned out to be Turner) for the best guy on the OL in the entire NFL last year (not only OG's). We end up with Billy Turner (who many love) in his place. Then we add Colledge at OG as well. If you let them both play together, they may not be close to as good as Mathis by himself.

Yet, we pass. Maybe it was the money. I'm sure that Tannehill and our RB's agree that the $16M in the bank is much more important than a Great player on the OL.

Anyone with a somewhat reasonable explanation?

32 years old, making $5 million this year and wants a raise, high draft pick compensation needed. Short term it would be a great move, long term it wouldn't have. Mathis will make more money in 2014 than Billy Turner over the next four years combined. Four years from now, Turner will probably be solidified as a starter on the line, at 36 Mathis might be retired.

Nublar makes a great point...but, man ohh man! It would have been great having Mathis playing with us this year!

32 years old, making $5 million this year and wants a raise, high draft pick compensation needed. Short term it would be a great move, long term it wouldn't have. Mathis will make more money in 2014 than Billy Turner over the next four years combined. Four years from now, Turner will probably be solidified as a starter on the line, at 36 Mathis might be retired.

In all due respect, you have to be kidding me. You would prefer to roll the dice on a kid who may or may not ever start in the NFL over an All Pro? I could care less on if it's only for a couple of years.

This is Tannehill's BIG year to succeed or, wait at least another 3 years. Why would anyone not want to give him the best chance to do that? Over money, and waiting for a Billy Turner to help him maybe in the next couple of years?

Makes no sense to me at all. JMO

I'm going to revisit this one last time because it still really bothers me. We could have traded a 3rd rounder (turned out to be Turner) for the best guy on the OL in the entire NFL last year (not only OG's). We end up with Billy Turner (who many love) in his place. Then we add Colledge at OG as well. If you let them both play together, they may not be close to as good as Mathis by himself.

Yet, we pass. Maybe it was the money. I'm sure that Tannehill and our RB's agree that the $16M in the bank is much more important than a Great player on the OL.

Anyone with a somewhat reasonable explanation?

Prob age more than anything and money. I wouldn't trade a 3rd rounder either not that Im sane. There were guards we could have signed in free agency like Asomah that would not have broke the bank and are fairly young.
Lets trade them Michael Egnew, Danial Thomas and throw in Dannell ellerbee to replace their broken linebacker lol. Of course they would balk but hey what the hell

In all due respect, you have to be kidding me. You would prefer to roll the dice on a kid who may or may not ever start in the NFL over an All Pro? I could care less on if it's only for a couple of years.

This is Tannehill's BIG year to succeed or, wait at least another 3 years. Why would anyone not want to give him the best chance to do that? Over money, and waiting for a Billy Turner to help him maybe in the next couple of years?

Makes no sense to me at all. JMO

If your building for tomorrow you pass on a 35 yr old. If your building for today, your route is the road to take.

People here are advocating the trade of Pouncey. So bringing in a 35 yr old lineman, would be up their alley.
I believe in building inside out. But I also believe you build through the draft. Old line men and MIA recent history with them, is a no no.

I also believe minus a complete melt down, Hickey and Philbin will be here for year 4.

If your building for tomorrow you pass on a 35 yr old. If your building for today, your route is the road to take.

People here are advocating the trade of Pouncey. So bringing in a 35 yr old lineman, would be up their alley.
I believe in building inside out. But I also believe you build through the draft. Old line men and MIA recent history with them, is a no no.

Mathis is 32. BIG difference.

Prob age more than anything and money. I wouldn't trade a 3rd rounder either not that Im sane. There were guards we could have signed in free agency like Asomah that would not have broke the bank and are fairly young.
Lets trade them Michael Egnew, Danial Thomas and throw in Dannell ellerbee to replace their broken linebacker lol. Of course they would balk but hey what the hell

Yeah, those 3rd rounder do make a difference in winning. Who do we have left, OV and Turner? Then there was Jerry and Pat Turner in recent history.

If your goal is long term success you don't do it by signing guys who have a very limited shelf life. The best teams tend to build by drafting well and developing players. So it depends on your philosophy. Are the fins one lineman away from the Super Bowl? If you think they are then maybe getting Mathis makes sense.

Well we did something sort of similar to that last year. We brought in a former pro-bowl right tackle. Now, there is a big difference between the popularity contest pro-bowl and the elite all-pro, but the veteran lineman had an atrocious time adjusting until near the end of the season.

Mathis plays in a similar scheme and was a better player etc. But, OL is a lot about Synergy and chemistry. It takes time to build. Older players offer much less time post adjustment than younger players.

So, when you are building a team around a young QB, you want to put those cornerstone young OL in place to protect him for a decade.

What we should have done is draft Lane Johnson in 2013, but we didn't. We should have traded up to snag Lewan or Martin in 2014, but we didnt. We should have pursued the younger Monroe or Veldheer more vigorously. We should be on year 3 of building around Tannehill, but instead we are on year 1.5.

8 12 34 43 56 9 < Saturday's $80+ million Powerball numbers.

And now that I think about it, every one of those numbers has some sort of significant meaning to me. Why didn't I play them instead of the quick picks? I know it's in the past and there's nothing I can do to change it, but sometimes when so much is at stake and could totally have made things so much better, while it's useless mental masturbation, it's hard to resist. :idk:

I feel that a year makes a big difference for any player in their 30s (with the exception being QBs). You never know when an All-Pro will turn into a dud. I'm glad we took a chance with a young guy, let's see what he can do.

Well we did something sort of similar to that last year. We brought in a former pro-bowl right tackle. Now, there is a big difference between the popularity contest pro-bowl and the elite all-pro, but the veteran lineman had an atrocious time adjusting until near the end of the season.

Mathis plays in a similar scheme and was a better player etc. But, OL is a lot about Synergy and chemistry. It takes time to build. Older players offer much less time post adjustment than younger players.

So, when you are building a team around a young QB, you want to put those cornerstone young OL in place to protect him for a decade.

What we should have done is draft Lane Johnson in 2013, but we didn't. We should have traded up to snag Lewan or Martin in 2014, but we didnt. We should have pursued the younger Monroe or Veldheer more vigorously. We should be on year 3 of building around Tannehill, but instead we are on year 1.5.

The same Lane Johnson who was busted for taking PED's and is now suspended for the first 4 games of next season and one strike away from a year long suspension? No thank you. I'd much rather have Jordan.

Philbin and Staff work within their own players and abilities. Even when we bring in FA's, they immediately beef up the ranks with young kids. They use FA's to buy them time to teach rookies. They believe in coaching up talent.

I was a little upset when we drafted Landry this year, considering the sheer volume of holes on the OL. But when they did, I realized it was predictable considering how much importance WR has to this staff. They will draft WRs and DBs like most teams draft QBs. We will constantly see new competition at WR and DB to keep pace with the modern pass happy NFL. They will always turn over rocks in those areas looking for new talent.

I think people need to re-evaluate our "preparedness" for an injury such as Pouncey's. We turned over 4 starters on the OL and brought in new depth. With all due respect, if we had spent any more resources on the OL we would have created a talent debt at another position that would have perpetuated itself into each new draft.

From Philbin's mantra about building and teaching talent, I honestly believe Colledge is here as veteran DEPTH. I truly believe Brenner and Larsen are the only true considerations for starting C and Turner will be pushing for RG. Colledge provides insurance for LG, C and RG. He is not a real threat to start.

Consider this.... this year is very critical to Philbin and Tannehill's future. They will not complicate Tannehill's chemistry with a 3rd center (he has experience with Pouncey and Brenner) who will NOT be here after this year. Larsen has a strong potential future with this team. He and Brenner will be the key backups to G and C moving forward. And one of them might make Pouncey expendable or a leveraged asset when contract talks come up.

You do not depend on a stop gap as a long term starter. So, I immediately do not think Colledge is in the mix for starting C.

I think Larsen is our Week 1 C and Pouncey might be start getting worried about his job and spot on this team. Brenner becomes the Swiss Army Knife of the interior OL.

I predict Week 1 OL is Albert, Thomas, Larsen, Smith and James. In time, I think Turner becomes RG. And Pouncey will have a lot to prove.

Back
Top Bottom