Matt Barkley 6 TD clinic against UCLA | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Barkley 6 TD clinic against UCLA

I think arm strength is one of the most overrated aspects of playing QB. Plenty of guys who have great zip on the ball coming out of college don't make it in the pros. They rely too much on their arm strength and don't spend enough time in college working on reading coverages and hitting the open guy. Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, and Tom Brady all had questions about their arm strength coming out of college and they made it work for them in their early years. As they got older and matured more physically, they gained more arm strength and now can put zip on the ball while they mastered the art of reading defenses and learning to put the correct touch on certain throws.

Living in the west coast, I've been able to watch a lot of Luck and Barkley. Luck has the stronger arm, but I don't think it's a huge difference. Barkley's arm reminds me of Brees and Matt Ryan. They won't wow you with just the sheer ability to stand and throw bullets in workouts, but in games they can make all the necessary throws. Weeden has a great arm, but I'm not sold on him at all. I'll admit I've not seen a whole lot of him, but I watched the game against Texas and he looked like a backup NFL QB to me. He's fully developed from a physical standpoint and I don't see him being in the class of Luck,Barkley, and RGIII.

I have Luck above Barkley because of his athleticism and he's physically a little more impressive. He has a 2 inch height advantage on Barkley and has a little more zip on the ball than Barkley, but I think they are REALLY close.

I've a got a question for CK and all the other people who said they have Luck above Barkley for Luck's pre-snap recognition and mental ability though. Do you guys not think that Barkley has the capability? Luck might be able to get to a Peyton Manning level for controlling a game, but what if Barkley can get to a Tom Brady/Aaron Rodgers level? From all accounts Barkley is a very smart kid and a student of the game. He's also been in college one less year than Luck. If he came back to USC next year and displayed more of the pre-snap ability would you guys rate him above Luck since thats what sets them apart in your opinions? I was just curious about this after reading some of your guys posts. Thanks

I definitely think Barkley has the capability. He wanted the chance to run the no-huddle offense much like Luck does and be able to make adjustments and pre-snap reads on his own. I just feel Kiffin enjoyed his own command of the offense, and let Barkley run it on the field. Barkley is very smart, he wanted to and I think he would've done well.

We gotta hope this kid declares for the draft and then cut some throats to trade up and get him.

Barkley should be the top priority this offseason...end of story. Man up and go get your guy

I think arm strength is one of the most overrated aspects of playing QB. Plenty of guys who have great zip on the ball coming out of college don't make it in the pros. They rely too much on their arm strength and don't spend enough time in college working on reading coverages and hitting the open guy. Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, and Tom Brady all had questions about their arm strength coming out of college and they made it work for them in their early years. As they got older and matured more physically, they gained more arm strength and now can put zip on the ball while they mastered the art of reading defenses and learning to put the correct touch on certain throws.

Living in the west coast, I've been able to watch a lot of Luck and Barkley. Luck has the stronger arm, but I don't think it's a huge difference. Barkley's arm reminds me of Brees and Matt Ryan. They won't wow you with just the sheer ability to stand and throw bullets in workouts, but in games they can make all the necessary throws. Weeden has a great arm, but I'm not sold on him at all. I'll admit I've not seen a whole lot of him, but I watched the game against Texas and he looked like a backup NFL QB to me. He's fully developed from a physical standpoint and I don't see him being in the class of Luck,Barkley, and RGIII.

I have Luck above Barkley because of his athleticism and he's physically a little more impressive. He has a 2 inch height advantage on Barkley and has a little more zip on the ball than Barkley, but I think they are REALLY close.

I've a got a question for CK and all the other people who said they have Luck above Barkley for Luck's pre-snap recognition and mental ability though. Do you guys not think that Barkley has the capability? Luck might be able to get to a Peyton Manning level for controlling a game, but what if Barkley can get to a Tom Brady/Aaron Rodgers level? From all accounts Barkley is a very smart kid and a student of the game. He's also been in college one less year than Luck. If he came back to USC next year and displayed more of the pre-snap ability would you guys rate him above Luck since thats what sets them apart in your opinions? I was just curious about this after reading some of your guys posts. Thanks

I think that Matt Barkley has the potential to see things on the field and make the kind of high level post-snap decisions that Andrew luck makes, but he hasn't done it. It's a rare trait, you can't afford to just dismiss that and say oh I'm sure he can do it. Andrew Luck manipulates defenses and has a firm grasp on a more complicated offense. USC's passing offense really only utilizes 5 or 6 route concepts.

I'm not knocking Barkley but I do think he should be regarded as a clear #2 to Luck, due to his size, athleticism, and mental processing on the field. He doesn't have near the weapons around him that Barkley has, but he's got his offense competing at a similar level.

I think that Matt Barkley has the potential to see things on the field and make the kind of high level post-snap decisions that Andrew luck makes, but he hasn't done it. It's a rare trait, you can't afford to just dismiss that and say oh I'm sure he can do it. Andrew Luck manipulates defenses and has a firm grasp on a more complicated offense. USC's passing offense really only utilizes 5 or 6 route concepts.

I'm not knocking Barkley but I do think he should be regarded as a clear #2 to Luck, due to his size, athleticism, and mental processing on the field. He doesn't have near the weapons around him that Barkley has, but he's got his offense competing at a similar level.

i'm in line with this as well...all of it...its not a knock on barkley imo lucks just a different level with the mental aspects

Honestly don't see what staying another year will do for him.. his stock is as high as it can get now. Only problem is Luck's is higher. But going back another year might be dangerous for his draft positioning. He needs to take a good look at Jake Locker's situation and see if he wants that to happen to him.
Jake Locker was never going #1 over-all, I dont think he really hurt his stock that much considering he got drafted a hell of a lot higher than I expected. He was a media driven hype guy imo and there was 0% he was getting drafted ahead of Sam Bradford. The same thing can be said for Leinart, who's stock may have been hurt by going back another year but who's to say he wouldnt have been dropped in the draft after teams really analyzed his play if he had come out the year before. I thought Leinart would be a bust from the get go,while he was still at USC. He rarely made NFL throws, had by far the best team around him and his arm strength and physical tools left a LOT to be desired. Quinn and Claussen 2 more media driven "top picks". It happens every year.

Not really. All you keep doing is stating your preference for a stronger arm, and stating that Luck has a stronger arm, over and over again. You've not isolated any throws or comparisons of similar throws between the two where anyone could look at the two and think yeah, you're right, Andrew luck definitely threw that ball stronger. On the other hand, I did exactly that, and I think most people that would follow through on the comparisons I brought up would admit that those thruws looked the same. Even you, in a roundabout way, accused me of somehow finding some kind of rare throws by Barkley that stand up to throws by Luck. That was a de facto admission on your part that I did indeed put up clips that show Barkley's arm being exactly as strong as Luck's.

I'm just waiting for you to pull up some incredible throws that Luck made that I or anyone else could look at and say yeah, I've not seen Matt Barkley do that. It should be an EASY task for you. There's no shortage of video on the two on YouTube. And if you keep having to search through reams and reams of footage on Luck to isolate a few throws like that, then maybe you ought to re-think your position that Andrew Luck's arm is "significantly" stronger. Give me a mere 5 minutes and I'll find you 5 throws Brandon Weeden's made that neither Matt Barkley nor Andrew Luck commonly make, if at all. That's the definition of a "significantly" stronger arm.

ps I'm on board with your assessment of Weeden's arm- I do like Luck's arm, but no one can match what Weeden does on a consistent basis. I can look at Luck during a live game or on film and can think that yeah, I can see it, he can make the throws, I like his arm. But Weeden- between the pinpoint accuracy and strength of his arm, along with a good release and solid mechanics, no one in college throws like that guy. I've obviously been pointing out some things that I would like to see Barkley do better and I would say that Luck has a very good but not dominating arm ( I have to come up with a better comparison than Bert Jones, that was off the cuff)- but as far as Weeden's arm is concerned I really couldn't say that I could come up with a single discernable flaw or weakness. I would say that it is in fact a better all around arm than Mathew Stafford's, and and I very much look forward to seeing Weeden throw in the pros. I have absolutely no reason to think that Weeden won't be anywhere from a very good to excellent NFL Quarterback. From next year when he turns 29 to the year when he turns 37, that gives him nine years. That's plenty of time for him to have one heck of a career.

Bump for Barkley to Miami!

This guy has elite QB written ALL over him. It'll be nice seeing him in a Fins' uni.

Jake Locker was never going #1 over-all, I dont think he really hurt his stock that much considering he got drafted a hell of a lot higher than I expected. He was a media driven hype guy imo and there was 0% he was getting drafted ahead of Sam Bradford. The same thing can be said for Leinart, who's stock may have been hurt by going back another year but who's to say he wouldnt have been dropped in the draft after teams really analyzed his play if he had come out the year before. I thought Leinart would be a bust from the get go,while he was still at USC. He rarely made NFL throws, had by far the best team around him and his arm strength and physical tools left a LOT to be desired. Quinn and Claussen 2 more media driven "top picks". It happens every year.
His stock wasn't hurt too bad, unlike his bank acct

The only way we get Barkley is to trade up to #2 in the draft...........

The only way we get Barkley is to trade up to #2 in the draft...........
I know that this might not be the conventional draft guru wisdom, but I agree with you. A lot of teams are desperate for a QB and Barkley looks like the guy not named Luck who is most ready to step in and play right away. Guys like Mike Shanahan and Pete Carroll need to save their jobs.

Back
Top Bottom