Matt Ryan- Numbers speak for themselves!! | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Ryan- Numbers speak for themselves!!

I posted this on another thread but I will ask here in case cncc or anybody else who seems knowledgeable could help me along.

say we switch to a 3-4D. I have read on here that some people have the opinion that C. long needs to bulk up to play DE on a 3-4. I read another's opinion that if we draft him he will play OLB.

If he's draft to play DE, than I take it we are sitting matt roth. In which case we than need another DE for the other side, because my understanding is that taylor would be OLB. so we than fill a hole and open up another by him playing DE... am I wrong here?

secondly, if he plays OLB... than what the hell are we going to do with our 3DL> the fact that c long is in the conversation in the first place suggests to me that we have other plans for roth... perhaps coming off the bench to sub or something.

that means, we either have roth at DE and getting burned all the time. Or we just have not a whole lot going for us at DL. Do we possess a NT now, I can't think of one.

I realize FA and trades could take place to allow the filling of some of these holes, but as of right now all I have to go on is the draft.

To me it makes more sense to go with dorsey, if he truly is only 4 lbs away from typical NT weight thats fine. IF not he fits a 4-3 nicely as well.

otherwise, it's jake long or matt ryan imo.

somebody clear this up please?

For those of you who want Matt Ryan, with all do respect, ARE YOU GUYS NUTS?! He's a turnover machine.. Ya ya, he has the "prototypical NFL QB size" but that doesnt mean anything when you throw INTs consistently..

His best game of the season was against Bowling Green where he threw 4 TDs and 0 Ints... Very good numbers, but then again the supposedly #1 pickk in the NFL should be putting up those numbers against garbage, smaller schools...
In fact, in ONLY 2 games, he has thrown 0 INTs and those two games were against small, garbage schools- Bowling Green and University of Mass., a 1-AA school.
In 12 of his 14 games, he has thrown ATLEAST 1 INT. In half of his games (7), he has thrown ATLEAST 2 INTs.
A good threshold of where I believe a QB should have his completion percentage at or above is 60% and in 6 games, his completion percentage has dipped below that 60% threshold. Furthermore, in 4 games, his completion percentage has dropped BELOW 50% against FSU, VT, NCST, and in his BOWL GAME, against MSU.

I know, I know you Matt Ryan fans will argue that numbers aren't everything and I agree... to an EXTENT..but his numbers are not only mediocre, but actually pretty bad... Take out his games against BG and UMASS, and hes an average QB...He throws waaayyy too many INTs...He threw 14 INTs in his last 8 games... Yikes, you cant have that in the NFL during the final stretch of the season...This guy is NFL size, and thats about it

That's what I am talking about. Numbers don't lie. This guy is a turnover machine. No love for Matt Ryan. Now Brian Brohm........He's a guy with greatr numbers, accuracy, Ideal Height, not a turnover machine.

Actually that's the best way of putting it and if we're running a 3-4 Dorsey isn't even worth it:lol::up:

If Glen Dorsey really is Warren Sapp part II (improved) then you change your philosophy's and run a 4-3.

Similar to what Shula did when he drafted Marino with the 27th pick.

BTW:Cowboys ran 4-3 under Parcels for the first two years. Maybe they go back? They did hire Campo back.

I posted this on another thread but I will ask here in case cncc or anybody else who seems knowledgeable could help me along.

say we switch to a 3-4D. I have read on here that some people have the opinion that C. long needs to bulk up to play DE on a 3-4. I read another's opinion that if we draft him he will play OLB.

If he's draft to play DE, than I take it we are sitting matt roth. In which case we than need another DE for the other side, because my understanding is that taylor would be OLB. so we than fill a hole and open up another by him playing DE... am I wrong here?
If we play the 34 and C. Long is placed at DE, we already have someone opposite of him and their names are Vonnie Holliday and Rod Wright.
secondly, if he plays OLB... than what the hell are we going to do with our 3DL> the fact that c long is in the conversation in the first place suggests to me that we have other plans for roth... perhaps coming off the bench to sub or something.
You are absolutely correct about Roth. It was reported that he is best suited as a situational player coming off the bench. Roth also doesn't have the agility to play OLB.
that means, we either have roth at DE and getting burned all the time. Or we just have not a whole lot going for us at DL. Do we possess a NT now, I can't think of one.
We actually have two young NT who just needs to work on their techniques and get up to game speed. Steven Fifta and Paul Soliai. Soliai has the size many are looking for but he struggled all season with his techniques and hand placements.
I realize FA and trades could take place to allow the filling of some of these holes, but as of right now all I have to go on is the draft.

To me it makes more sense to go with dorsey, if he truly is only 4 lbs away from typical NT weight thats fine. IF not he fits a 4-3 nicely as well.

Who says Dorsey is only 4 lbs away from typcial NT weight? IMO it doesn't matter anyway because you don't draft a NT #1 anyways.

I'm not sure I can answer your questions, but I can make some comment. The thing to remember is that what is considered prototypical for a position will vary person to person. JT wasn't pro-typical for his position, so don't consider "opinions" as fact. CLong and Dorsey both would benefit from nfl strength programs but both are already capable.

Now, on the positions. I think both players, CLong and Dorsey if eother is picked by us, would be moved all over the place looking for miss-matches. Both are strong at the point of attack and have a great first step. So in turn, this would create many packages with rotation opportunities. We would see Long standing up, hand down, back into coverage.. one of the attractive things about he and Dorsey both are their versatility.

If we get Long, Roth might hit the trade table so your concern could be real about him, but maybe not. New coach, maybe Roth's game improves again bringing him out of mediocre. He would certainly have some better match ups with Long in the game. We have Wright, Soliai, Page, Vonny and Truck on the roster at tackle, Truck imo, is gone for sure but I don't know who we might displace because of Dorsey, maybe none.

"I" believe either of these picks are a win win, with me favoring Dorsey. I think both players pick up those around them, but IMO, we need to stop the run first. Sparano has said that the system will fit the player, if we get a shot at solving a need as big as d-line we can hardly lose. It's not all that big of a deal to incorporate someone as talented as these two. Half the fun will be watching us discover new ways to use one of these guys.

Tom Heckert said it and Casserly polled 32 GMs and said Ryan was the consensus best

If that is true then it shows how weak this draft is for QB's. Ryans numbers were not great and he blew some important games for BC with some stupid INT's. For all those that want Ryan, he wouldnt start next year anyway even if the Fins take him. He is way to big a project.

I honestly don't think we should draft Matt Ryan with the #1 overall pick. I don't base this on the numbers, I base this on seeing him myself in person. I watched from the VT student section in that Thursday night choke against Matt Ryan. Don't get me wrong, what Matt Ryan did in those last 4 minutes to lead his team to victory was heartbreaking, amazing, and showed real leadership. However, in those same 4 minutes the VT defense (which had been hitting him all night with heavy pressure) stopped actually pressuring him. Whether VT went to prevent defense (which always prevents you from winning), Boston College actually started to block, or whatever else, they didn't pressure him. So how good is it really if he's allowed to sit back and pick apart a secondary without any pressure? Also, how good is he really if he sucked (and I mean really sucked) for the first 56 minutes of the game? I'm sorry, but football is a 60 minutes sport, you have to play all 60 minutes. So based on my own personal experience I don't think he's worth the #1 pick.

That being said, if Parcells and Ireland think he is, then I have to trust them because they know better than I do (or at least I hope they do). I would just like to see Beck get another year to prove himself, bring in a veteran QB to challenge him.

Back
Top Bottom