"McDaniel likes idea of nose tackle" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"McDaniel likes idea of nose tackle"

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/other/sfl-dolphins-tony-mcdaniel-s0730sbjul30,0,1958349.story By Mike Berardino

Article includes quotes from Fergy, Baumhower & the defensive line coach regarding the 'idea'.

Will be interesting to see this in preseason (if we do) and what it means for Soliai, Cohen & Ellis. We ARE kinda stacked on the ends, yes?

I'm getting the feeling that McDaniel for a 7th is going to end up being a steal of a trade. But I'm curious as to why the Jags would let this guy go for such little compensation, especially since they already traded away Marcus Stroud. There has to be a reason- I'm hoping it's not like us picking up Quentin Moses when he's quickly waived by the Raiders after being a 3rd rd pick- I'm still trying to figure that one out. Moses has too much talent to be floundering, yet he is.

The more the merrier... quality depth at the NT position would certainly help me sleep better at night.

it's nice to know that McDaniel embraces the idea of doing the dirty work. now if only Soliai had that mindset....

Solai just is not that good no matter how some people on this board want to act like he is. He made like one play last year and people act like he improved.
Previous year 3 tackles, last year 3 tackles 2 suspensions.

Solai just is not that good no matter how some people on this board want to act like he is. He made like one play last year and people act like he improved.
Previous year 3 tackles, last year 3 tackles 2 suspensions.

Which is why we would have grabbed Ron Brace over Pat White had the Pats not stolen him from us. What a win/win that would have been. Get Ron Brace/Don't get Pat White.

I like my NT's between 6'4 and 6'2, but if McDaniel can play the position at 6'7, and play it well, then I'm all for it.

Which is why we would have grabbed Ron Brace over Pat White had the Pats not stolen him from us. What a win/win that would have been. Get Ron Brace/Don't get Pat White.

yes that would have been nice. Almost any player over another qb would have been nice.

This development is interesting. Something to keep an eye on.

It's ludicrous to conclude based on so little playing time (especially playing time in which he's made multiple plays) that Soliai is just "not that good". Nobody has a clue what he is. He looked good but young and inexperienced in preseason of his rookie year, and the inexperience showed when they tried to play him right away. This last preseason, he looked a lot better and was making plays. Then he hardly played during the regular season because when Ferguson comes out of the game, it is usually because they have a four-man line in the game. He also got suspended for two games, which really hurt because one of the games was one where he would have had the opportunity to play a lot. When he did come in though, he made plays, and it was more than just one.

I'm getting the feeling that McDaniel for a 7th is going to end up being a steal of a trade. But I'm curious as to why the Jags would let this guy go for such little compensation, especially since they already traded away Marcus Stroud. There has to be a reason- I'm hoping it's not like us picking up Quentin Moses when he's quickly waived by the Raiders after being a 3rd rd pick- I'm still trying to figure that one out. Moses has too much talent to be floundering, yet he is.
It usually takes a little while to switch from college DE to 3-4 OLB. Matt Roth made it very quickly, but he is more the exception than the rule. Honestly, Vernon Gholston's potential still scares the crap out of me as a Dolphins fan.

It usually takes a little while to switch from college DE to 3-4 OLB. Matt Roth made it very quickly, but he is more the exception than the rule. Honestly, Vernon Gholston's potential still scares the crap out of me as a Dolphins fan.

Gholston doesn't scare me much. I was never a big fan of his.

Roth played LB in high school and for a little while at Iowa, to my recollection. That's one reason he made the transition fairly quickly.

This development is interesting. Something to keep an eye on.

It's ludicrous to conclude based on so little playing time (especially playing time in which he's made multiple plays) that Soliai is just "not that good". Nobody has a clue what he is. He looked good but young and inexperienced in preseason of his rookie year, and the inexperience showed when they tried to play him right away. This last preseason, he looked a lot better and was making plays. Then he hardly played during the regular season because when Ferguson comes out of the game, it is usually because they have a four-man line in the game. He also got suspended for two games, which really hurt because one of the games was one where he would have had the opportunity to play a lot. When he did come in though, he made plays, and it was more than just one.

Your right he was awesome . He is so good that we had to overplay Ferguson last year.We need a NT and he is not the guy. If you need a guy to suspend he is the guy.

I actually thought Gholston could be very good coming out but he lacks the strength. He is a great athlete but this kid looks more like a bust every day now. Rex Ryan compared him to Terrell Suggs which was plain stupid.

McDaniel could be a very good depth player for us.

In that regard I'll be keeping a close eye on Michael Johnson. If he can turn it on, what a 3rd rd pick he'll be. That draft- Andre Smith, Rey Maualuga, Johnson, Chase Coffman, Jonathan Luigis- quite a haul. The Bengals might be interesting this year.

Your right he was awesome . He is so good that we had to overplay Ferguson last year.We need a NT and he is not the guy. If you need a guy to suspend he is the guy.

I didn't say he was awesome, I said we don't know what he is yet. You're the one that is already evaluating his talent level based on a dearth of game tape.

And how did the Dolphins "overplay" Jason Ferguson? They played him as much as any team plays their starting nose tackle. Less than a few others, in fact.

Back
Top Bottom