"McDaniel likes idea of nose tackle" | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"McDaniel likes idea of nose tackle"

From what I read McDaniel was very talented in Jacksonville along with being injured much of the time there which is why I beleive they traded him to us.
The nose tackle position takes more of a beating on the body so even though McDaniel might be strong enough to play the position it would probably up the chances of him ending up on IR again. I would keep him on the end where his body would be protected a bit more and the advantage he has with his heigth of 6"7" and long arms of batting the ball down is greater.
Solai we will know about soon IMO if he does not cut it he will not make it out of this years with the phins. He "has" been kept around because the coaches not the fans can see his talent and potential. The issue with Solai is called hard work which Solai can do just like anyone else can. IMO it sounded like Solai was getting the picture last year. Regarless we will see very soon. IMO
As far as Ron Brace over Pat White I am not sold on him either as he was IR in college. Yes Ron Brace has the size and the talent but he has to be healthy to play the game. Pat White needs more size and accuracy IMO. I would have chosen some else all together with that pick.

If Soliai can focus I think this kid is a starting Nose Tackle in this league. His raw strength is remarkable and he gets a very solid push. He needs to dedicate himself to football a bit more but I wouldn't write him off

yes that would have been nice. Almost any player over another qb would have been nice.
I just hope they picked Brace to be a future NT,and letting Vince walk(very unlikely,but I can dream....:serenades:)

This development is interesting. Something to keep an eye on.

It's ludicrous to conclude based on so little playing time (especially playing time in which he's made multiple plays) that Soliai is just "not that good". Nobody has a clue what he is. He looked good but young and inexperienced in preseason of his rookie year, and the inexperience showed when they tried to play him right away. This last preseason, he looked a lot better and was making plays. Then he hardly played during the regular season because when Ferguson comes out of the game, it is usually because they have a four-man line in the game. He also got suspended for two games, which really hurt because one of the games was one where he would have had the opportunity to play a lot. When he did come in though, he made plays, and it was more than just one.

I can say this about Soliai having seen him up close in training camp- the dude is huge and moves extremely well. He's either lazy and otherwise a head case or he's not. Maybe this year the idea of losing his job will scare him straight, we'll see how he does.

He smiles..Solai gets suspended nuff said..but with Cohen, Ellis, McDaniel, and yes Solai we may have a good battle in TC

From what I read McDaniel was very talented in Jacksonville along with being injured much of the time there which is why I beleive they traded him to us.
The nose tackle position takes more of a beating on the body so even though McDaniel might be strong enough to play the position it would probably up the chances of him ending up on IR again. I would keep him on the end where his body would be protected a bit more and the advantage he has with his heigth of 6"7" and long arms of batting the ball down is greater.
Solai we will know about soon IMO if he does not cut it he will not make it out of this years with the phins. He "has" been kept around because the coaches not the fans can see his talent and potential. The issue with Solai is called hard work which Solai can do just like anyone else can. IMO it sounded like Solai was getting the picture last year. Regarless we will see very soon. IMO
As far as Ron Brace over Pat White I am not sold on him either as he was IR in college. Yes Ron Brace has the size and the talent but he has to be healthy to play the game. Pat White needs more size and accuracy IMO. I would have chosen some else all together with that pick.
yeah,fortunately for him,hes coming into an enviorment where everything in the off-season will ultimately keep you from just being talent and potential....

I do not see much of a battle for Soliai. Louis Ellis is a sleeper but too raw. Joe Cohen has not shot. Soliai is the better talent. Time to coach him up

I just hope they picked Brace to be a future NT,and letting Vince walk(very unlikely,but I can dream....:serenades:)

The Pats drafted 3 nose tackles this year Brace and 2 others in the later rounds so you should expect to see Vince W. walk next year.
He may not walk the Dolphins way though as he stated he has always hated the phins even though he played for the the U of M.
So with the the Pat's having those 4 NT's in camp it will be interesting to see who they let walk this year and or attempt to stash on their practice squad. Maybe the Phins might do some nose tackle Pat poaching.

He smiles..Solai gets suspended nuff said..but with Cohen, Ellis, McDaniel, and yes Solai we may have a good battle in TC
the knock on Ellis is that he tires quicky,but if you watch him on youtube at Shaw(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-SDWecoxgg)

....you can easily tell that he has the quickness,burst,and power to play the nose.Besides,a good 2 years on the PS,and conditioning workouts can do wonders for his stamina

I didn't say he was awesome, I said we don't know what he is yet. You're the one that is already evaluating his talent level based on a dearth of game tape.

And how did the Dolphins "overplay" Jason Ferguson? They played him as much as any team plays their starting nose tackle. Less than a few others, in fact.

Solai should have been good enough to give Ferguson more breaks.
Ferguson is much more effective when you have more of a rotation.

In that regard I'll be keeping a close eye on Michael Johnson. If he can turn it on, what a 3rd rd pick he'll be. That draft- Andre Smith, Rey Maualuga, Johnson, Chase Coffman, Jonathan Luigis- quite a haul. The Bengals might be interesting this year.

I really like their draft as well. It doesn't end with Andre Smith (who I think can be an All Pro guard, and a pretty good Right Tackle which is where they're playing him for now), Rey Maualuga, Michael Johnson, Chase Coffman and Jonathan Luigs though. Kevin Huber is an excellent punter and will really help their special teams. I was a really big fan of Bernard Scott coming out of the draft. Despite his size, he plays with good balance and he reminds me of Chris Johnson coming out of East Carolina. I was somewhat of a fan of Freddie Brown, he could help a little bit.

I would forecast them to be significantly better this year. They get back Carson Palmer and Keith Rivers. I wasn't necessarily a wholesale buyer on the Cedric Benson reclamation story but he really did play well there once they put him in charge of the ground game, and now they're going to have an entire season of him. Putting Andre Smith and Andrew Whitworth in front of Cedric as the tackles will really help (though it won't help Carson Palmer as much). You put Laveranues Coles next to Chad Johnson who are both now catching passes from Carson Palmer instead of a dinky like Ryan Fitzpatrick. Chris Henry is back and unsuspended, without as many distractions and just putting his head down and working. On the defense like I said they get Keith Rivers back, plus they add Rey Maualuga, and that's a great pair because Rivers will really keep Maualuga in line just like he did at USC. Dhani Jones and Rashad Jeanty are solid players. On the defensive line I think Antwan Odom is solid and I really liked Pat Sims coming out a lot, I like him to get better in his second year. Adding Tank Johnson to the line was a great choice. Michael Johnson will have a great chance to make an immediate impact on that line. The big question is the secondary because I think Chris Crocker is a bad football player, Roy Williams is good only for a run stopping role, and the cornerbacks Leon Hall and Johnathan Joseph haven't quite proven themselves yet.

But, we're not talking about them winning the Super Bowl yet or anything. They were a 4.5 win team in 2008. I think they'll be better than that in 2009.

Back
Top Bottom