"McDaniel likes idea of nose tackle" | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"McDaniel likes idea of nose tackle"

Maualuga was never kept in line. There are probably just as many stories of him at USC as there were of Leinart. The guy has been a nutcase for all 4 years. Luckily he was a damn good football player.

He was a nutcase that hardly ever got into trouble because they had guys like Keith Rivers and Brian Cushing looking out for him, keeping a leash on him. Rivers is in position to continue doing that for the Bengals.

I'm not saying Keith Rivers can magically make Rey Maualuga a calm and collected individual. He's not going to proselytize to him or convert him to mormonism or something. He can just help keep him out of the kind of trouble that prevents Rey from practicing and playing in games...and those are the important things.

I'm not sure McDaniel gets it, he said he thinks you can be more aggressive at NT, he is dead wrong on that point, as a matter of fact it's just the opposite, you have to be more disciplined, your job as a NT is not to put up numbers, it's to hold the center of the line, if there's a run up the middle and you can tackle the guy, great, but pushing the O-lineman into the running lane is just as good, and his length is typically not good at the position and usually leads to back problems, because you have to squat that much further then the next guy.

i was being a little facetious with you parrot, lol, forget it. what i was about to ask you is what finster is talking about, the practical chances of mcdaniel actually doing this.

I like the idea of McDaniel being the NT. If it works, great. If not, a 6-7, 315 5 technique end is one imposing figure to deal with! Merling, consider the fire under your butt lit!

Whoever the next NT ends up being, it would be a huge find because then we can concentrate on solidifying the linebacking core in next years draft/free agency. Every other position on the team is solidified or more solidified than LB. For the 3-4 to truly be effective, you HAVE to have the linebackers.

From what I read McDaniel was very talented in Jacksonville along with being injured much of the time there which is why I beleive they traded him to us.
The nose tackle position takes more of a beating on the body so even though McDaniel might be strong enough to play the position it would probably up the chances of him ending up on IR again. I would keep him on the end where his body would be protected a bit more and the advantage he has with his heigth of 6"7" and long arms of batting the ball down is greater.
Solai we will know about soon IMO if he does not cut it he will not make it out of this years with the phins. He "has" been kept around because the coaches not the fans can see his talent and potential. The issue with Solai is called hard work which Solai can do just like anyone else can. IMO it sounded like Solai was getting the picture last year. Regarless we will see very soon. IMO
As far as Ron Brace over Pat White I am not sold on him either as he was IR in college. Yes Ron Brace has the size and the talent but he has to be healthy to play the game. Pat White needs more size and accuracy IMO. I would have chosen some else all together with that pick.

Brace moves well for such a huge guy, I think that he has good upside, will be a steady contributor. McDaniel should do nicely spelling Ferguson and getting some time in at end. Having a 6-7 guy in there on 3rd downs will make life a little harder on QB's, we should see some more batted down balls this year.

While I do agree with The Finster in one sense, in another sense I do see what Tony McDaniel is saying.

I don't think Tony McDaniel was saying that the NT position would give him more freedom to move laterally and rush the passer. I think he was saying that he can be more aggressive in what he does to the offensive lineman/linemen sitting across from him.

For an offenisve tackle, that moment of explosion right off the snap has to be when you get into the Center and literally beat the mother effer up. That's your job. It's not just to hold your position. It's to punch and push and beat the crap out of the guy opposite you. That guy should need two days in the training room after the game is over.

I think what Tony was just trying to say is that he is less comfortable in space, and more comfortable in physically close quarters, the phone booth. At End, he would have to take some steps while reading the action and deciding where he needs to go. He could go a little left, he could go a little right. For a nose tackle you're just heading straight forward, and if you should happen to literally bowl over and step on the Center in the process, all the better.

I'm not sure McDaniel gets it, he said he thinks you can be more aggressive at NT, he is dead wrong on that point, as a matter of fact it's just the opposite, you have to be more disciplined, your job as a NT is not to put up numbers, it's to hold the center of the line, if there's a run up the middle and you can tackle the guy, great, but pushing the O-lineman into the running lane is just as good, and his length is typically not good at the position and usually leads to back problems, because you have to squat that much further then the next guy.

I think that he meant that there was less to think about at NT, that he could focus on being physical in the space in front of him:

"I think I can be a little more aggressive at nose tackle," says McDaniel, 24. "Less reads, and you can get off the ball."

He'll still have to be disciplined.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/other/sfl-dolphins-tony-mcdaniel-s0730sbjul30,0,1958349.story

If McDaniel could backup both Fergy & Langford then Dotson can get on the field assuming he doesn't straight beat out Merling or Starks.

Lionel Dotson actually got on the field some last year. He and Randy Starks shared time in replacing Jason Ferguson against the Ravens. I think late in the year he got some more playing time, too. I forget which player it was, maybe Smiley, who said he was the team's best pass rusher in practice.

Lionel Dotson actually got on the field some last year. He and Randy Starks shared time in replacing Jason Ferguson against the Ravens. I think late in the year he got some more playing time, too. I forget which player it was, maybe Smiley, who said he was the team's best pass rusher in practice.

Yea , I think it was Smiley, as well as a couple other guys that said something to that effect.

yeah, i read that about Dotson too so if we could get away with not dressing Soliai there'd be alot of packages & fresh horses to choose from on passing downs.

Soliai's got some pressure on him, for sure. Lionel Dotson, Randy Starks, Tony McDaniel, Lou Ellis and Joe Cohen all seem to have a history of having played that spot, are slated to play that spot, or have stated that they would like to play that spot.

Dotson.

Well there are a few tricks to being a NT but im sure with the passion i am reading about he will get it pretty quick....if he can sink his hips and stay low he could drive 2 guys back easy.

Fergie is a great teacher and with Soliai being kinda a knuckle head at times Ellis and McDaniel may be a pretty good duo if they keep working at it

If Soliai's been ordering pizza i expect he'll be cut quick. There's too many guys to look at to put up with him anymore. I can't imagine Ellis or Cohen being in McDaniels league. You dissect tapes, what do you think?

Back
Top Bottom