"McDaniel likes idea of nose tackle" | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"McDaniel likes idea of nose tackle"

Solai should have been good enough to give Ferguson more breaks.
Ferguson is much more effective when you have more of a rotation.

I believe Solai did give Ferguson more breaks later as the season progressed.
Agreed Ferguson would be more effective in a rotation and logically all player would be.

Last year Parcells and Co in-herrited Solai from a 1-16 team that had a very bad defensive line coach.
Prior to that Solai had just played 2 years of NT in college at Utah out of the need for his team in Utah not the "position" he had trained for prior to that. There is no telling how well he was coached at Utah at that position.
If you can assume that is the case then Solai would really have not been NFL ready "with a good NFL coaching" until about midway last year.
Solai really did blow it with his weight issue etc because sometime in that last half of last year when they really needed him with Ferg going down he screwed up and was not on the roster.
I am defending the guy in one sense but only as far as what he can and has brought to the team both bad and good.

Solai should have been good enough to give Ferguson more breaks.
Ferguson is much more effective when you have more of a rotation.

Ferguson only played like 50-55% of the defensive snaps in 2008. I think you're barking up the wrong tree here. The nose tackle position is basically a half-starter position to begin with. Even Vince Wilfork, who probably takes more snaps than most nose tackles because of his pass rush versatility, only takes about 60% of the snaps in New England.

A backup nose tackle does not play much if the starter is healthy. It's why teams typically only keep a maximum of two nose tackles on the roster, and a lot of teams work their backup nose tackle at defensive end and defensive tackle in order to actually make use of him.

If Soliai can focus I think this kid is a starting Nose Tackle in this league. His raw strength is remarkable and he gets a very solid push. He needs to dedicate himself to football a bit more but I wouldn't write him off

Remember that Sparano said that his offensive linemen have told him that Paul Soliai is the toughest defensive lineman to move. Other guys have given him some praise as well, I think Crowder among them.

Ferguson only played like 50-55% of the defensive snaps in 2008. I think you're barking up the wrong tree here. The nose tackle position is basically a half-starter position to begin with. Even Vince Wilfork, who probably takes more snaps than most nose tackles because of his pass rush versatility, only takes about 60% of the snaps in New England.

A backup nose tackle does not play much if the starter is healthy. It's why teams typically only keep a maximum of two nose tackles on the roster, and a lot of teams work their backup nose tackle at defensive end and defensive tackle in order to actually make use of him.
:confused:

ok, let's try it this way:

my question is if the starting nt is taking 50-60% of the snaps who is taking the other 40-50% of the snaps?? Remember, a backup nt doesn't play much if the starter is healthy, so it can't be him.

I believe Solai did give Ferguson more breaks later as the season progressed.
Agreed Ferguson would be more effective in a rotation and logically all player would be.

Last year Parcells and Co in-herrited Solai from a 1-16 team that had a very bad defensive line coach.
Prior to that Solai had just played 2 years of NT in college at Utah out of the need for his team in Utah not the "position" he had trained for prior to that. There is no telling how well he was coached at Utah at that position.
If you can assume that is the case then Solai would really have not been NFL ready "with a good NFL coaching" until about midway last year.
Solai really did blow it with his weight issue etc because sometime in that last half of last year when they really needed him with Ferg going down he screwed up and was not on the roster.
I am defending the guy in one sense but only as far as what he can and has brought to the team both bad and good.

we will regret not drafting a NT this season. Hopefully we will fix that next year.

my question is if the starting nt is taking 50-60% of the snaps who is taking the other 40-50% of the snaps?? Remember, a backup nt doesn't play much if the starter is healthy, so it can't be him.

They take out the NT and put in 3 rushing linemen for 3rd downs or down and distance. Example, Starks takes the role and they slide him over the B gap.

I really like their draft as well. It doesn't end with Andre Smith (who I think can be an All Pro guard, and a pretty good Right Tackle which is where they're playing him for now), Rey Maualuga, Michael Johnson, Chase Coffman and Jonathan Luigs though. Kevin Huber is an excellent punter and will really help their special teams. I was a really big fan of Bernard Scott coming out of the draft. Despite his size, he plays with good balance and he reminds me of Chris Johnson coming out of East Carolina. I was somewhat of a fan of Freddie Brown, he could help a little bit.

I would forecast them to be significantly better this year. They get back Carson Palmer and Keith Rivers. I wasn't necessarily a wholesale buyer on the Cedric Benson reclamation story but he really did play well there once they put him in charge of the ground game, and now they're going to have an entire season of him. Putting Andre Smith and Andrew Whitworth in front of Cedric as the tackles will really help (though it won't help Carson Palmer as much). You put Laveranues Coles next to Chad Johnson who are both now catching passes from Carson Palmer instead of a dinky like Ryan Fitzpatrick. Chris Henry is back and unsuspended, without as many distractions and just putting his head down and working. On the defense like I said they get Keith Rivers back, plus they add Rey Maualuga, and that's a great pair because Rivers will really keep Maualuga in line just like he did at USC. Dhani Jones and Rashad Jeanty are solid players. On the defensive line I think Antwan Odom is solid and I really liked Pat Sims coming out a lot, I like him to get better in his second year. Adding Tank Johnson to the line was a great choice. Michael Johnson will have a great chance to make an immediate impact on that line. The big question is the secondary because I think Chris Crocker is a bad football player, Roy Williams is good only for a run stopping role, and the cornerbacks Leon Hall and Johnathan Joseph haven't quite proven themselves yet.

But, we're not talking about them winning the Super Bowl yet or anything. They were a 4.5 win team in 2008. I think they'll be better than that in 2009.

Maualuga was never kept in line. There are probably just as many stories of him at USC as there were of Leinart. The guy has been a nutcase for all 4 years. Luckily he was a damn good football player.

The Pats drafted 3 nose tackles this year Brace and 2 others in the later rounds so you should expect to see Vince W. walk next year.
He may not walk the Dolphins way though as he stated he has always hated the phins even though he played for the the U of M.
So with the the Pat's having those 4 NT's in camp it will be interesting to see who they let walk this year and or attempt to stash on their practice squad. Maybe the Phins might do some nose tackle Pat poaching.
yea,I suppose so,however....whether hes with the Phins or not,as long as he aint playin for NE,I dont give a damn,lol....

The other 40-50% of the snaps are plays in which the team goes with a pass rush line of a 4-man front, or both. For instance, in Miami, Jason Ferguson would often come off the field in favor of a four-man line that featured Joey Porter, Kendall Langford, Randy Starks and Phil Merling or Vonnie Holliday.

As a position, the nose tackle only gets put on the field period like 55-60% of the time. The guy who is filling the position of nose tackle may also be versatile enough to play defensive tackle in pass rush fronts, as is the case with Vince Wilfork, but Jason Ferguson is not one of those people and neither presumably is Paul Soliai. Nose tackles are typically one-dimensional run stuffers by nature.

we will regret not drafting a NT this season. Hopefully we will fix that next year.
I think "regret" is a bit strong....there are WAY better 3-4 NTs available next eyar....Suh(6'4",302),Cody(6'5",365),Ellis(6'5",340),Taylor(6'4",355)....the list goes on and on....

other than Raji,Brace,and that Ontario guy for SD,there were no "real" 3-4 NTs.....

Back
Top Bottom