McDaniel’s issues | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McDaniel’s issues

Yeah true, he such a big body to handle. He made a catch v bills and his size got us the first down. You might get a 3rd or 4th for him.
We need a geniune wr3 look at bills they certainly have that.
I have been banging this drum since mini camp

Couldn’t agree more with you.

Eichenbust!!!! 😂

Good point about street guys playing over Dieter. He must be downright abysmal. I kinda forgot he was even on the roster
Man I hated that pick! Two second rounders for a clumsy, short armed, anchorless lineman who struggled against anyone with speed or power. The FH arm chair GMs came out in force to tell me how great Eich was because he got poked in the eye and returned to the game or how Notre Dame lineman are always at least good. I guess it goes to show you that if you agree with Chris Grier, especially on offensive linemen, then draft prospect evaluation might not be your forte!

One of the other internal questions i have, other than above..... Does Mike McD wants the offense more designed to break the huddle with a short time frame to try to prevent defensive adjustments at the line? Maybe he's thinking if the guys get set with 3 seconds and snap with 1 second then the defense wont have as long to rad the play and try to adjust accordingly. If he knows hes not going to let Skylar audible anyways then it doesnt make a difference whether the line is set at 10 seconds or 3 seconds from a strategical point of view.
There may be something to this...
What I found odd was why wasn't Skylar taking off and running 🏃 with green in front of him. For the last game anyway, i look for McDaniel to address the clock management situation before next season.
Maybe because the only healthy QB behind him was a WR, Dishwater's p***y hurt.

Man I hated that pick! Two second rounders for a clumsy, short armed, anchorless lineman who struggled against anyone with speed or power. The FH arm chair GMs came out in force to tell me how great Eich was because he got poked in the eye and returned to the game or how Notre Dame lineman are always at least good. I guess it goes to show you that if you agree with Chris Grier, especially on offensive linemen, then draft prospect evaluation might not be your forte!
He’s so bad at OL selection. We draft a lot of guys who are either unathletic like Eichenberg and Dieter who can’t handle the NFL level power / speed combos of DL, or athletic guys who are soft as marshmallows like Austin Jackson and Jonathan Martin etc.

He’s so bad at OL selection. We draft a lot of guys who are either unathletic like Eichenberg and Dieter who can’t handle the NFL level power / speed combos of DL, or athletic guys who are soft as marshmallows like Austin Jackson and Jonathan Martin etc.
Im not sure how we miss so often at oline picks. And not simply miss, we miss BADLY.

Grier certainly needs to rework his Oline scouting department.

Grier has actually done VERY well at CB/Safety and RB though. (Even WR)

Oline, LBer, and TE need alot of work.

Seems to do ok with skill positions, just struggles with the beef.

I think his arrow is pointed up. For sure there were issues this year...and he's gonna improve. Will he ever satisfy all by next year? Prolly not...but he'll be better and the Oline will be better and the TE position will be better and we're gonna run the ball more and Tua will be back and and and. All I got. For now.
We can be hopeful but no one knows if any of that will happen.

McDaniel was in his first year as HC and play caller as well......he'll get better at it and he also needs to delegate more. The clock thing must be better next season.

The way I look at it, it had to be hard as hell on everyone when you just consider the injuries we had at QB. I am not trying to say McDaniel doesn't have work to do, he does, but continuity and team chemistry, or the lack thereof have to be taken into consideration. I know I am in the minority here, but right now, considering what we went through this season, it's hard for me to find fault with anyone. They all worked their asses off trying to adjust to the "ADVERSITY" (LOL!) we had all season long.
I created the table below to try to understand what we went through at the QB position alone. The injuries we had at other positions hurt us as well. I don't know about anyone else, but this **** is mind-boggling to me. I can't imagine having a game plan for your starter and then because of injuries having to adjust to another QB ( or two ) who all have different strengths and weaknesses. Plus Thompson is a rookie and if I understand correctly, he wasn't even calling the OL protections in the game. I understand that injuries happen and the backup will have to play from time to time. However, I see what we went through as excessive and I thought it created a situation where there were a lot of moving pieces and at times things didn't go as smoothly as we all would have liked. For the most part, though, I thought McDaniel (and the offensive coaches) handled it pretty well and I am looking forward to seeing how he improves next year. Hopefully, we won't have the injury bug and can really do some damage when playoff time comes around!

QB_2022.PNG

The way I look at it, it had to be hard as hell on everyone when you just consider the injuries we had at QB. I am not trying to say McDaniel doesn't have work to do, he does, but continuity and team chemistry, or the lack thereof have to be taken into consideration. I know I am in the minority here, but right now, considering what we went through this season, it's hard for me to find fault with anyone. They all worked their asses off trying to adjust to the "ADVERSITY" (LOL!) we had all season long.
I created the table below to try to understand what we went through at the QB position alone. The injuries we had at other positions hurt us as well. I don't know about anyone else, but this **** is mind-boggling to me. I can't imagine having a game plan for your starter and then because of injuries having to adjust to another QB ( or two ) who all have different strengths and weaknesses. Plus Thompson is a rookie and if I understand correctly, he wasn't even calling the OL protections in the game. I understand that injuries happen and the backup will have to play from time to time. However, I see what we went through as excessive and I thought it created a situation where there were a lot of moving pieces and at times things didn't go as smoothly as we all would have liked. For the most part, though, I thought McDaniel (and the offensive coaches) handled it pretty well and I am looking forward to seeing how he improves next year. Hopefully, we won't have the injury bug and can really do some damage when playoff time comes around!

View attachment 128117
Lots of injuries on most teams great GMs and Coaches help overcome those situations. Our GM is not there and jury out on McD.

Reminds me of Andy Reid years ago. Reid would constantly have his face buried in that play sheet and was abysmal at clock management.
Reid early on and even many long time coaches struggle with clock management. But guys like Reid and McD are also going to be successful based on their play-calling. I see no sense in taking away that responsibility. I see even less sense in those thinking we should be looking a Harbaugh or any other HC.

Im not sure how we miss so often at oline picks. And not simply miss, we miss BADLY.

Yeah, it's perplexing as to why Oline, LBr, and TE continue to elude him. It bothers me that he scoffs when reporters have asked him about our OL struggles in years past. I get he wants to be collaborative and maybe we will have better success under McDaniel and his staff, but maybe a different approach is in order if we don't see major improvement next year. I wonder how the better GMs handle things.

Look at last season; they had an o-line that was historically bad, and even with Grier's "upgrades" this year they're just slightly better. Quick passes make the line seem better than it actually is. You'd think that Grier would see this and hire someone to take care of the o-line (and any other position that he has trouble with), but I doubt it.

It really blows my mind that NFL coaches lack the ability to efficiently manage the clock.
Andy Reid from most reports is one of the most methodical and organized coaches in the NFL and he still struggles with the concept of clock management.
Other than clock management, McDaniel probably needs to be more selective when going for it on 4th down and probably needs to run more on third and short.
He also needs someone else to help him with challenges than whoever it is right now.

McDaniel’s clock management issues as well as other things that shot us in the foot consistently definitely haunted us all season.

Do you think a big reason for these issues in McDaniel’s first year was because he was more focused on looking at the play sheet and calling plays?

I’m not making that an excuse for the consistent issues by any means and we need to fix it this offseason. Just curious on what y’all think

First, I'm going to come across as bashing Mcd, but be patient.
His partial list of flaws in '22 . . .
slow getting plays in, clock management, no rubs, no quick slants, no seam routes, no/little use of flats or 0<>5 yds beyond LOS, no targeting personnel weaknesses, I'll stop here.
The good news is all those are in-game decisions and all are correctable. The bad news is, after 18 games almost none WERE corrected. It's almost like the game was much faster for him than it was for the QBs. There's no way more verbiage in a play call takes an extra 10 seconds. It's Mcd arguing with himself.
I'm a fan of Mcd as HC. He's made the O what every fan has wanted since #13. Good gameplans. Good play design. All that pre-game stuff is good. I'm in the camp he needs a real OC. I'll also argue he needs a new spotter in the booth for challenges. I'd feel much better if I had seem improvements i in-game decisions.

We all agree he should have run. We are just wondering what stopped him 🐻

Not just Sky. TT also had a number of plays with a 100 yds of green grass, but threw to a receiver. I'm inclined they were told to limit runs. Tangentially, that would explain no read options or designed runs.

Back
Top Bottom