Meet our potential 1st round pick.... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Meet our potential 1st round pick....

If everything works out, and we sign WR D. Boston, we'll most certainly look OL with the #20 pick IMO....

If OG V. Carey is there, it should be a no-brainer. He'd be a perfect RG, and that's exactly what we're lacking right now....

With WR D. Boston, there's really no need to draft a WR at #20. Unless Rick feels like there's a WR out there that's too good to pass on, I'd put my money on the OL....

PHINZ RULE!!!

:pirate:

Guys.

Carey was much better at tackle for Miami than he was as a guard. He should be rated as a tackle, not a guard. He really struggled when he had to pull and make movement blocks as a guard. He's a right tackle that has a lazy streak to him.

Where can I find the information that says Carey isn't a #20 talent? I have seen mock drafts that have him going that high. I believe one of them is on nfl.com. I have also seen mock drafts that show that he has moved up from the bottom of the first round. I don't remember seeing any mock drafts that show him lower than a 1st round pick.

Lets assume we are getting Boston,then the biggest need for us are G, DT, and LB. IMO the biggest of these needs is G, I think Carey will be a great guard in the NFL. He has already trimmed down from his 363 college weight to 350. He is a dominating run blocker who allowed only three sacks all year at UM. That being said if one of the top 2 DT slip here I would be happy with either. But neither Wilfork or Harris barring some miracle will be there. Now if they go LB DJ Williams is the only LB they could possibly be looking at here. Of the three needs IMO G is the most in need of help which means either you reach and take Carey, or try to move down four or five picks and take him there. Unless of course Rivers is there then the front office should be fired if they pass on him. I just dont think Feely is the answer. Since Dans retirement we have raided other teams backup QB's its time to pony up the dough.:jetssuck:

If you go guard, Justin Smiley and Chris Snee are both better guards than Carey.

Again. CAREY IS A TACKLE!!

This info is from Sportingnews via foxsports.

14 Bears Shawn Andrews OT Arkansas 15th (+1) 7/15
With the addition of free-agent RB Thomas Jones, the team can address its hobbled and disjointed offensive line. OT Marc Colombo is recovering from a knee injury, and the coaches would prefer to move LT Mike Gandy back to his natural OG position. Andrews is more dominant than Gallery, but character, weight and durability issues will cause him to drop.

20 Dolphins Vernon Carey G Miami, Fla. 26th (+6) 20/32
With QB A.J. Feeley in the fold, the Dolphins now can address glaring needs at WR and OL. Carey has great experience, size, strength and versatility. While scouts say he can move to OT, he fits best at guard and could start there as a rookie.

It's entirely wrong. Carey struggled as a guard. He is a tackle who can play guard, but not that well.

I'd rather get someone in the 3rd like Snee or Smiley, and have them compete with a great run blocker in St. Clair, and Whitley.

Vernon Carey
Guard
Miami FL
6'5" - 360 lbs
5.3 Estimated 40
OTC Mock Draft Status: giants, #35 Overall Pick

Vernon Carey is huge. He's a powerful, commanding blocker who excels in run blocking. He's no scrub in pass blocking, either. He's got pretty good feet, though he will have tough time with quick, smaller DTs like LaRoi Glover or Brian Young. He's got to make sure to keep his weight in check, however. If he gets much bigger than he is now, he'll really struggle to stop speed rushing tackles. He is very talented, and has good size, but teams question whether he'll be able to keep himself in shape. Should be a solid 2nd round selection.

The bottom line is a RIGHT GUARD in the NFL is not worth the #20 pick in the draft unless you firmly believe he will be the next LARRY ALLEN. Because otherwise guards, right guards especially, are MADE in the NFL not bought using high amounts of your resources. Using the #20 pick in the draft on a position is almost like paying him an $8 million dollar signing bonus in free agency.

Why do you think the Patriots never even attempted to bring Damian Woody back? They don't want him at Center because he can't shotgun the ball, which is probably important in that offense, and they weren't about to pay that much money for a guard.

We can find a RG by other CHEAPER means, might already have him on the roster (Yates or probably Whitley). Whitley wouldn't be the first offensive lineman that appeared lost his rookie year then then made a big jump in his 2nd or 3rd year.

Having Boston means that we can select the best available talent, not draft a RIGHT GUARD way higher than most people had him on their boards. The bottom line is I have seen a lot of mock drafts, and I do mean a lot, as well as just plain draft research sites, and not one of them has given me the impression that Carey is worth the #20 pick in the draft. Any time I've seen him picked that high, or close to #20, it was TO the Miami Dolphins and these mock draft sites (if you know them as well as I do), tend to just assume that when a University of Miami player is on the board at Miami's pick they'll grab him...they also do it somewhat with UF and FSU players.

We have a lot of options at this pick and there's a lot of positions we could use a potential star at way more than we could at RG.

BTW if we get Steussie, which Big O called a 50/50 shot and all the papers are reporting that we're talking to him after we lost out on Folau, then why get Carey? We've already got our 2004 RG. His name is Billy St. Whitley. St. Claire would most likely win the start at RG with Steussie playing RT, and our line would be much the better for it.

I just finished reading an article on Carey that says he has his weight down to 331.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/7118328

Offensive lineman Vernon Carey has spent the past four years as a key contributor to the Miami Hurricanes football team. The 6-foot-4, 330-pounder has won numerous team awards and has also received national recognition while helping the Canes advance to the Rose Bowl, Fiesta Bowl and Orange Bowl over the past three years. With the NFL his next step, Carey will spend some time each week sharing what's on his mind with NFL.com between now and the 2004 NFL Draft.)

NFL Network

NFL Network

Analysis, opinions, features and more!
MIAMI (Feb. 25, 2004) -- My trip to Indianapolis was a successful one as I did my drills and performed well at the combine. The NFL folks expected me to come in at 6-foot-2 and 350 pounds, but I actually came in a 6-foot-4 and 335 pounds. The 23 teams I met with were impressed.

Now I have to turn around and get ready for my Pro Day on Feb. 28 -- nearly a week after the combine. Truthfully, I'm just trying to keep my weight down. By the time NFL scouts come to Miami I want to be at 330. Right now, I'm at 331, so I'm doing well.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
The bottom line is a RIGHT GUARD in the NFL is not worth the #20 pick in the draft unless you firmly believe he will be the next LARRY ALLEN. Because otherwise guards, right guards especially, are MADE in the NFL not bought using high amounts of your resources. Using the #20 pick in the draft on a position is almost like paying him an $8 million dollar signing bonus in free agency.

Absolutely right. You can get a good guard cheaper. I like what the Saints have done with their interior line. Lecharles Bentley was the #1 center in the 2002 NFL draft. We got him in the 2nd round....He's now a Pro Bowl Guard. In 2003 I had Montrae Holland as the 2nd guard available in the draft. He fell all the way down to the 4th round....And played extremely well when he filled in for injuries as a rookie. I think we will have one of the better young guard combos in the league now. I think you guys are doing things a little backwards if you take a guard in the first. You take a guard in the 3rd.....tackle in the first....not the other way around.

Back
Top Bottom