Merge"wad ball" a subtle diss at "wanny ball?"/Saban: We don't want to play"wad ball" | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merge"wad ball" a subtle diss at "wanny ball?"/Saban: We don't want to play"wad ball"

"wad ball" a subtle diss at "wanny ball?"

I couldn't help laughing at saban's characterization of wanny's offensive philosophy:

"Saban joked that Williams could still be effective without playing "wad ball," which he described as "everybody gets wadded up in a pile in the middle of the field and you plunge it into the middle of it and let him run over everybody…

"you don't really have the old-fashioned theory that we have to have this great running back because we're going to give him the ball 40 times a game."

Whether he meant it or not, a shot at wanny's regressive thinking on the O side of the ball, is exactly what this was. Man, the more I think about it, the more I realize that letting wanny coach a professional NFL team in 2004 is like trying to win a F1 race with a horse and carriage

I know, I loved that line when I read it.

It's exciting to know that we have a coach that wants to win, not just hang on and squeek by when the clock reads 0:00. Thank you, God.

No doubt that was a punch at Wanny. Even the most inept fan noticed how our gameplan was "run ricky up the middle, no matter how many people they put there" every year. It was stupid, uncreative and i'm glad he's gone.

I don't think it was a personal slap at Wanny. But, I suspect it was the message sent to Ricky that, if he didn't want to be pounded into the line 40 X a game, he wasn't going to see that with Saban. And, I think it was certainly a slap at the "3 yards and a cloud of dust" philosophy that Wannstedt had lived by.

I like Saban more every time the guy speaks up.

Seriously can you see the meeting room? Wanny and all the coaches. One guy goes: "so Dave, what are we going to do next week against the pats?" Wanny replies: " Good question. I've been doing a lot of thinking. How about this: We have been running Ricky up the middle for a few seasons now, and if we do it again, it WILL BE A TOTAL SUPRISE. They won't see it comming, I promise guys, this week it will work. I gotta leave early today though, I need to put some money on the Yanks, the Sox have never won anything anyway".

Da 'Fins said:
I don't think it was a personal slap at Wanny. But, I suspect it was the message sent to Ricky that, if he didn't want to be pounded into the line 40 X a game, he wasn't going to see that with Saban. And, I think it was certainly a slap at the "3 yards and a cloud of dust" philosophy that Wannstedt had lived by.

I like Saban more every time the guy speaks up.

yes, it's debatable if St. Nick directed the comment at wanny's offensively-crippled philosophy. But I think it was. Surely there are more diplomatic ways to say such a thing if all he wanted was to send a message to ricky. He was ridiculing the "concept" of running ricky so many times up the middle. such an idea -- for lack of a better word to describe something wanny's produced -- comes from the former coach

If you guys want a laugh, go check out the Pitt Panthers website and local newspapers and read the recent interviews of our former rocket scientist coach where he talks about his 'philosophy', and 'what he believes in', etc. It continues to amaze me that the guy keeps getting people offering him head coaching jobs...

EightyTwenty said:
If you guys want a laugh, go check out the Pitt Panthers website and local newspapers and read the recent interviews of our former rocket scientist coach where he talks about his 'philosophy', and 'what he believes in', etc. It continues to amaze me that the guy keeps getting people offering him head coaching jobs...

Oh Jeez, I live in Pittsburgh and have to listen to him drone on and on. On the local espn radio here he was comparing some of the Pitt players to Dolphin players. It's almost like i finally got rid of him and he pops back up. (like that game where you whack the gophers):lol:

FinsDontGiveIn said:
Oh Jeez, I live in Pittsburgh and have to listen to him drone on and on. On the local espn radio here he was comparing some of the Pitt players to Dolphin players. It's almost like i finally got rid of him and he pops back up. (like that game where you whack the gophers):lol:

And you know what? In about 4-5 years, after he slowly grinds that program down into the sewer, just like he did in Chicago and Miami, yet another NFL owner or college Athletic director will offer him yet another head coaching job, and the cycle will start all over again. And he'll still have the mustache, and he'll still be making the exact same mistakes.

In any event- I feel sorry for you and your Pittsburgh neighbors - my deepest condolences. :lol:

I'm just happy that he looks at the tape of those "wad-ball" games and says the exact thing we were all thinking...which is..: "NOO! WHAT THE H3LL ARE THEY DOING THAT FOR?? WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS GUY??!" Anyone with a little bit of football knowlege would have wanted to throw up watching Wanny take a pretty good team and make them horrible by forcing a weak run up the middle into a wall of defenders over and over, and punt the ball. Wanny was just plain dumb I think.

EightyTwenty said:
And you know what? In about 4-5 years, after he slowly grinds that program down into the sewer, just like he did in Chicago and Miami, yet another NFL owner or college Athletic director will offer him yet another head coaching job, and the cycle will start all over again. And he'll still have the mustache, and he'll still be making the exact same mistakes.

In any event- I feel sorry for you and your Pittsburgh neighbors - my deepest condolences. :lol:

His ride off the 92's cowboy's coat-tail should have ended long ago

TorontoFin said:
His ride off the 92's cowboy's coat-tail should have ended long ago

Exactly- he's stuck in a time warp and still thinks he has Haley/Tolbert/Maryland/Lett on the D-line. Since he doesn't have an inventive mind, he can't escape the cruel nightmare he lives in. :lol:

He's gone. Why do we still have to rip him? We all know the kind of coach he was, he was VERY unpopular and we rode him out of town on a rail. Nuff said.

This is true of wannabe and jimmah too. They were both "dumb-down" offensive coaches who had this ludicrous theory that players today are not intelligent enough to handle a complicated read-oriented offense. You might ask a certain Daniel Constantine Marino about that fact.

We actually have a coach now who has a brain, for the first time since Shula retired. Wow!

TorontoFin said:
I couldn't help laughing at saban's characterization of wanny's offensive philosophy:

"Saban joked that Williams could still be effective without playing "wad ball," which he described as "everybody gets wadded up in a pile in the middle of the field and you plunge it into the middle of it and let him run over everybody…

"you don't really have the old-fashioned theory that we have to have this great running back because we're going to give him the ball 40 times a game."

Whether he meant it or not, a shot at wanny's regressive thinking on the O side of the ball, is exactly what this was. Man, the more I think about it, the more I realize that letting wanny coach a professional NFL team in 2004 is like trying to win a F1 race with a horse and carriage

My friend, we all knew, and yah he took a shot at Dave and that´s OK, I loved it

Back
Top Bottom