MERGED: 1050 ESPN Radio this morning... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: 1050 ESPN Radio this morning...

I agree Mike

MikeO said:
To a point this is just stupid. The $8.8 mil, whatever that is a non-issue. But why ask for 2 first round picks??????

You mean if a team offered 1 first round pick you would't do it? WHY??? Now you are hurting yourslef and proving nothing!

True, I wouldn't give him away and I would want soemthing in return. And I wouldn't even be in a rush to trade him, BUT.........if a good deal comes along do it. Don't be so stuck in the mud on 2 first round picks that you end up hurting yourself in the end.

And I'm sure RS is, one, pissed and two angling to get the most value for virtually nothing. No way the raiders or anyone give up 2 1st for Ricky and I can't see RS balking at a 1st for a big lunatic ?

13isgr81 said:
Standing on Principle often hurts and causes inconvenience, thats why so few actually do it.
Punishing RW might make us feel good, but doesn't help the team. Get the most you can and move on!

There's an expression, 'Cutting off one's Helmet to spite the Team' or something like that...

If Rick came out and said "we'll take a first round pick for Ricky" how many teams would offer that? NONE I'm sure if a team ponied up a 1st rounder offer, the Dolphins would jump at it.

Dude said:
Punishing RW might make us feel good, but doesn't help the team. Get the most you can and move on!

There's an expression, 'Cutting off one's Helmet to spite the Team' or something like that...

While I agree it would help the Dolphins short term, I believe it would hurt the NFL as whole, including the Dolphins, in the long term. The problem is that this shows other selfish players that they can act like a$$holes and pay little or no consequence. Next thing you know every high profile athelete will start refusing to play or "retiring" until they can go where THEY want play. Again, look at the T.O. situation.

It's all moot right now anyway. He can't play under any circumstances until next year. By then all these hard feelings will fade and Rick will do what's best for the team. Right now he's pissed and I can't blame him. Especially after Ricky says his heart isn't in football anymore but then says he'd play for the Raiders. What a dip****!

13isgr81 said:
Standing on Principle often hurts and causes inconvenience, thats why so few actually do it.

Very True. However, the coin has another side.

Standing firm on Ricky indirectly stands in front of your team and says "the team is more important and we will fight for the team". I believe in this day and age, players DO respect a firm handed FO. IF THEY REMAIN CONSISTENT IN THEIR CONVICTIONS.

Ask Chris Chambers if he feels his FO is behind him. His loyalty was rewarded... SWIFTLY I might add. They didn't just give him a fat contract..... They actually went the extra mile to make sure he sees the REAL MONEY. Check out the numbers... it is FRONT loaded. Meaning... he WILL see his money. That's a firm handshake if I ever saw one.

Now, ask Ogun how he feels about the FO. Ask him if he had it to do over if he would NOT boycott the camps. I feel Ogun will start reconsidering his approach.

By taking the stand, I feel the FO (Rick especially) is telling the team "We're here to lead. And, we're here to do what's best for the team."

DBo take notice.... GET'ER DONE and you'll get what you deserve.

I've been screaming Rick's name for support all offseason. I still say, he's one of the NFL FO gems. And it looks like he's got the b@!!s to make the tough decisions when the chips are down.

RS for PRESIDENT!

:cooldude:

Not even Al Davis is crazy enough to give us two 1st rounders for Ricky. With or without RW, that Raiders team is still in crisis mode, and they cannot afford to sacrafice two top picks for one player with a dark cloud hanging over his head. If we are offered one, I say we take it. I wouldn't mind seeing us ask for Schweigert in addition as he does not carry a lot of value (went in the 4th round this year) but has a lot of talent and could provide solid depth at SS. He could even develop into Knight's replacement. Either way though, I think we should jump at any offer with a 1st round pick. Oakland will still be a work in progress and have to deal with the headaches RW brings to the table, and we will be sitting back and laughing come draft day when we have two picks in the 1st round . . . and a Super Bowl ring from the previous season! :cooldude:

And yes, I'm being a little bit optimistic there . . . but why the hell not?

Thats freakin awesome!! Ricky screwed us and payback is a *****(can i write this?).

BassFin said:
It's all moot right now anyway. He can't play under any circumstances until next year. By then all these hard feelings will fade and Rick will do what's best for the team. Right now he's pissed and I can't blame him. Especially after Ricky says his heart isn't in football anymore but then says he'd play for the Raiders. What a dip****!

I don't believe RW can come back next year even if he wants to. I read somewhere (don't remember where) since he retired while under a substance abuse program/testing that automatically counts as another positive test. With 3 positives already, a 4th would mean a year's suspension. As for the trade comments above, what team would give up any high picks for a player that has to sit out a year?

Dredd1050 said:
No. When and if this pot head wants back into the league, he'll still be under contract for 2 years with Miami. I actually think it's 3 years PLUS he'll have to serve a 4 game suspension, and maybe indefinite. Either way, he's not playing ANYWHERE Miami doesn't want him to. It's a pretty nice feeling for all of us sour fans! :)

Thanks for clarifying this. I hope we stay firm with this because Ricky is an a$$ wipe!

Steve

finatic1354 said:
Hello guys I have been a long time lurker but I decided to speak up since what I heard this morning can be discussed about. I live here in Central Jersey and I was driving to work. I usually listen to 1050 ESPN radio and they were talking to Chris Spielman about his new HC job and his former teammate Barry Sanders. He made mention that he spoke to his brother Rick Spielman and that he told him that the Dolphins will NOT let Ricky play UNLESS someone gives them 2 first round picks. I for one am glad to hear this. Let Ricky rot after he shafted us :fire: this season. Let me know what you think.

:nesucks:

AWESOME!!!!!!!! Rick is the man, and IMO, has done very little wrong as GM, even giving up an extra pick to get his man in the Draft, was not as bad as many made it out to be.

Eshlemon said:
I don't believe RW can come back next year even if he wants to. I read somewhere (don't remember where) since he retired while under a substance abuse program/testing that automatically counts as another positive test. With 3 positives already, a 4th would mean a year's suspension. As for the trade comments above, what team would give up any high picks for a player that has to sit out a year?

I may be wrong but if he came out of reitrement before this season starts he would sit out for the '04 season. The one year (indefinate) suspension would then overide the four game suspension he faced earlier which would allow him to start the '05 season from the begining.

And to the original thought of this thread, I can see 13's point of making a stand with RW on an issue like this. However I beleive the hard line stance will soften as time goes by and RW naturally serves time away from the game. If it's next year or '06 when a team aquires about RW's rights I'm sure the demands from the FO will be less than if someone (Raiders) aquired now.

Back
Top Bottom