MERGED: 1050 ESPN Radio this morning... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: 1050 ESPN Radio this morning...

NathanHunt said:
Very True. However, the coin has another side.
:cooldude:

We are making the same argument. I am saying that the Dolphins should stand on Principle and NOT let Ricky off the hook. I don't really care how many #1s we get (well, at least one), but I would not let him go without full payment of the 8.8mil.

Eshlemon said:
I don't believe RW can come back next year even if he wants to. I read somewhere (don't remember where) since he retired while under a substance abuse program/testing that automatically counts as another positive test. With 3 positives already, a 4th would mean a year's suspension. As for the trade comments above, what team would give up any high picks for a player that has to sit out a year?
From what I understand, since Ricky retired while in the substance abuse program, only if he tries to unretire in the same year, does it count as a 4th positive. So in effect it keeps him from playing this year as penalty for trying to circumvent the rules of the substance abuse program by retiring.

If he were to come back NEXT year. He would no longer be subject to this penalty. But he would still be subject to the 4 game suspension for his third positive. He would miss a year and 4 games at minimum.

I haven't been able to confirm or deny this but, I think there may be a loophole that can get him out of the 4 game suspension.

If we were to trade him to the Raiders now, he could unretire and take the year suspension. Since there is no way he is going to play this year anyway, that doesn't hurt anyone. Now, I'm not sure about this part but I think that the year suspension may take precedent over the 4 game suspension or they may even run concurrent.

Like I said, I don't know this for sure but, it may be why the Raiders have reportedly offered a first, seemingly out of the blue.

What Rick is saying, is that he knows what the Raiders are trying to do and their gonna have to sweeten the offer.

The only way I can think of that this wouldn't work is that technically it's not a years' suspension, it is an indefinate suspension, and the NFL could say, that the indefinate suspension is = a year and 4 games.

13isgr81 said:
Standing on Principle often hurts and causes inconvenience, thats why so few actually do it.

Damn man, thats is a great quote. I applaud u on that one :yell:

I trade him now for two firsts and let him unretire and look towards rebuilding parts of the team that need attention.
Forget Ricky the team is what matters.
Bledsoe was a guy that carried the pats for years new coach he was traded its simple, even if he didn't want to go he was gone, its business.

Rick just established a base from which to negotiate from.Now Ricky and other teams know what the Fins want.They have at least one year to stew on it.By then maybe Ricky cleans his act up show a convenient contrition and sell the same bill of goods to another team just as he sold us.(You know.I just need a change of atmosphere.I am a born again christian.whatever )

The important factor is to get something for him so lets hope that happens.We dont want a Barry Sanders repeat where the Lions got "nada"because he stayed retired.

PHINS54 said:
I Think Rick S. Is Starting To Make A Name For Himself.. He Signed Cc And It Looks Like He Had A Solid Draft... Way To Go Rick...
I wouldnt go as far as that:shakeno: .I will not be convinced until I see a regular pattern here.Lets see how the pìcks and AJ work out before we sing praises:yes: .Rick was outwitted in the draft:hump: ,was partly responsible for the Fletcher pick :chair: and many of Dave draft busts :smackhead .(Remember Rick was chief scout for Dave )The fact he wanted Boldin over Moore was a no brainer:idea: .Everyone had Boldin at the top of the list at that point including people on this board.:dolphin:

However he deserves a chance (A one year chance).I agree he is a better negotiator than Dave who would have already traded him for a 7th round pick in 2006:dunce: (Which is equal to an 8 th round pick in next days draft according to his math ):crazy:

inFINSible said:
From what I understand, since Ricky retired while in the substance abuse program, only if he tries to unretire in the same year, does it count as a 4th positive. So in effect it keeps him from playing this year as penalty for trying to circumvent the rules of the substance abuse program by retiring.

If he were to come back NEXT year. He would no longer be subject to this penalty. But he would still be subject to the 4 game suspension for his third positive. He would miss a year and 4 games at minimum.

I haven't been able to confirm or deny this but, I think there may be a loophole that can get him out of the 4 game suspension.

If we were to trade him to the Raiders now, he could unretire and take the year suspension. Since there is no way he is going to play this year anyway, that doesn't hurt anyone. Now, I'm not sure about this part but I think that the year suspension may take precedent over the 4 game suspension or they may even run concurrent.

Like I said, I don't know this for sure but, it may be why the Raiders have reportedly offered a first, seemingly out of the blue.

What Rick is saying, is that he knows what the Raiders are trying to do and their gonna have to sweeten the offer.

The only way I can think of that this wouldn't work is that technically it's not a years' suspension, it is an indefinate suspension, and the NFL could say, that the indefinate suspension is = a year and 4 games.

Herald

Had to check and make sure and it appears you got everything right including the fact if he returns within the year he's subject to an indefinate suspension.

:allhail:

Eshlemon said:
Herald

Had to check and make sure and it appears you got everything right including the fact if he returns within the year he's subject to an indefinate suspension.

But what that doesn't say is whether the indefinate suspension cancels out the 4 game suspension....that's what I want to know.

Eshlemon said:
Herald

In reading that article on the Herald... how sticky is the NFL on that one year period? If they are to the day then that means Ricky wouldn't be able to attend any of the Raiders minicamps or offseason workout programs and would have to wait to unretire until roughly one week before training camp beings for the '05 season. Hope he isn't too rusty by then... LOL

Screw you Ricky! :evil:

I'd say that was a big risk from any Fo's viewpoint...

inFINSible said:
But what that doesn't say is whether the indefinate suspension cancels out the 4 game suspension....that's what I want to know.

I got the impression that the minimum he's at right now is a year off and a 4 game suspension when he unretires, along with the outstanding fines. If that's not the case then the NFL's substance abuse policy looks pretty weak really. It also seemed like he was going for the lesser of the evils - year off and 4 games versus indefinite suspension.

I'm not one to twist the knife, the Ricky things over for me, but on top of that we need to recover at least some of the value we traded for the weed monster. If that turns out to be just one first rounder vs nothing for a player that cost a lot but will never don the aqua and coral again, so be it.

MikeO said:
To a point this is just stupid. The $8.8 mil, whatever that is a non-issue. But why ask for 2 first round picks??????

You mean if a team offered 1 first round pick you would't do it? WHY??? Now you are hurting yourslef and proving nothing!

True, I wouldn't give him away and I would want soemthing in return. And I wouldn't even be in a rush to trade him, BUT.........if a good deal comes along do it. Don't be so stuck in the mud on 2 first round picks that you end up hurting yourself in the end.

If the Raiders' pick next year is #2 like it was this year, I'd settle for one first-rounder. But the Dolphins have to make a stand here. They cannot let a star player walk out on his contract and his team a week before training camp, only to be allowed to return to the league a year later with the team of his choice.

With the immaturity, irresponsibility, conflicting statements, and now dubious motives Ricky has displayed over the last two weeks, the Dolphins are justified in wanting to blackball him from the league.

Regarding the one year/four games deal...

Since Ricky dropped out of the treatment program when he "retired", if he were to unretire at any point this season, it would be counted as a fourth positive test, which comes with a one-year suspension. However, if he unretires after the 2004 season, he is back to having only three positives, in which case he would serve only a four-game suspension.

If he unretires now, he gets the one-year suspension, meaning that he could return for the 2005 training camp.

If he unretires during the regular season, he gets the one-year suspension starting at that point. So for example, if he unretires in week 7 this year, he can't return until week 7 in 2005.

If he unretires next spring, he can participate in training camp but will have to sit out the first four games of the 2005 regular season.

Who in their right mind would ever think that any other NFL team would ever want to even consider taking any chance on Ricky Williams playing Football for them. Let alone 1 first round pick, but 2? That would be worse then the Herschel Walker trade the Vikes made. This guy can flake out at any minute. No GM in this league worth a pound of salt would ever take that chance.

Back
Top Bottom