Merged 5x: Pats had Extra 52 Seconds to win game against Steelers | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged 5x: Pats had Extra 52 Seconds to win game against Steelers

Did the refs add the time? Or was it the guy who runs the clock? It was in Pittsburgh, so they can't really blame anyone else.

The Steelers didn't lose b/c of that, the extra secs were tacked on in the early 4th so we don't know how they wouldhave played the final minutes had they had less time. The score was tied anyway and the way Brady executes the chances are he still would have gotten NE in FG range unfortunately.

yeah kinda crazy, but its not like they added it at the end of the game... it was like the beginning of the 4th, it could have benefited either team really... in the end it helped the pats, i guess thats the way the ball bounces for them lately though huh?

dolphan98 said:
Did the refs add the time? Or was it the guy who runs the clock? It was in Pittsburgh, so they can't really blame anyone else.

It was the guy in the booth, but the officials missed it. One of the officials on the field is suppose to keep track of that stuff at all times.

arsenal said:
yeah kinda crazy, but its not like they added it at the end of the game... it was like the beginning of the 4th, it could have benefited either team really... in the end it helped the pats, i guess thats the way the ball bounces for them lately though huh?

yeah, that's kinda my point. They win so many close games it's insane. Watching though something beyond anyones control seems to happen once or twice a season that gives them 1 or 2 close games. You take those close games away and give them to their apponants they have 1 or 2 more losses per season and that is the difference in making or missing the playoffs, homefield advantage, a first round bye or whatever.

Not trying to make more out of this than their is, but I would just love to see that team get ripped off once in a while. Sick of it all going their way(not that they aren't a good team or didn't deserve that win), Im just saying it seems to happen to and benefit them more than any other team.

ajajaj said:
Did anyone else hear about the time situation in Pittsburgh?

they added 52 seconds to the clock and nobody noticed.

how would you feel if the fins were the steelers and lost a game due to this?

Officiating has hit all-time lows IMO.

These guys need to be held accountable by the league for any bad calls they make because clearly taking pride in what they do just isn't enough motivation for them to do a good job. Worse and worse calls are happening all over the league. I find myself getting sickened by it every time I watch a game.

Refs should have performance clauses in their pay and the league should have a commitee in place to review every refs calls. Everyone else in the world gets performance reviews on their job and I don't see any reason these guys shouldn't.

nyjunc said:
The Steelers didn't lose b/c of that, the extra secs were tacked on in the early 4th so we don't know how they wouldhave played the final minutes had they had less time. The score was tied anyway and the way Brady executes the chances are he still would have gotten NE in FG range unfortunately.

not that it matters, but the score wasn't tied, it was pats 10 steelers 13

Trekbiz said:
Officiating has hit all-time lows IMO.

These guys need to be held accountable by the league for any bad calls they make because clearly taking pride in what they do just isn't enough motivation for them to do a good job. Worse and worse calls are happening all over the league. I find myself getting sickened by it every time I watch a game.

Refs should have performance clauses in their pay and the league should have a commitee in place to review every refs calls. Everyone else in the world gets performance reviews on their job and I don't see any reason these guys shouldn't.

You are very correct in that. I have seen late penalties, (I'm not much of a gambler, like vegas big money type of gambler that is) that have changed games, and not always cost a team the game, but have helped the underdong or the team that is suppose to lose by a certain amount according to vegas score and the winning team not cover the spread.

Also, the timing of penalties is insane. Seems almost like to keep games dramatic officials are instructed to keep the game close by using penalties.

This is not exactly the twist I wanted this post to take, but since it was brought up it is getting pretty bad.

just for an example this past week in the Dolphins game 4th quarter we are up 3rd down, we stop them, and the call a defensive holding call on I beleive it was madison. They showed the play again, he barely even touched him it was within 5 yards so it was legal, not only that he didn't use his hands in the bump, he hit him with his pads. The panthers went on to score a TD on that drive. Making the game close and causing more excitement.

nyjunc said:
I meant tied when NE kicked the GW FG.

yes it was tied when they kicked the FG, but they only had 1 sec on the clock at the end of the kick. they had 1:21 on the clock when they got the ball on like the 30yrd line and had 70 yards to go at least 40 to get into the place they got to to make the feild goal.

they were in the hurry up and used all their time outs. they used 1:20 sec. to get that field goal without the error they would have had only :33 seconds. They wouldn't have had time to kick the field goal meaning o/t and who knows what could have happened then.

ajajaj said:
You are very correct in that. I have seen late penalties, (I'm not much of a gambler, like vegas big money type of gambler that is) that have changed games, and not always cost a team the game, but have helped the underdong or the team that is suppose to lose by a certain amount according to vegas score and the winning team not cover the spread.

Also, the timing of penalties is insane. Seems almost like to keep games dramatic officials are instructed to keep the game close by using penalties.

This is not exactly the twist I wanted this post to take, but since it was brought up it is getting pretty bad.

just for an example this past week in the Dolphins game 4th quarter we are up 3rd down, we stop them, and the call a defensive holding call on I beleive it was madison. They showed the play again, he barely even touched him it was within 5 yards so it was legal, not only that he didn't use his hands in the bump, he hit him with his pads. The panthers went on to score a TD on that drive. Making the game close and causing more excitement.

Do I see hints of a points shaving accusation by ref's here?
That's taking it even further but hey, anything is possible.

I'm not willing to go that far to explain the worsening ref. situation. I think more than likely the NFL isn't training these guys well enough and your talking more about ineptness as a reason rather than conspiracy theories.
On the other hand, like I said before, you never know!

In addition, I see you mentioned timing of some calls.
I see that as well. It's just a little fishy that so many calls that should be immediate by a ref arent. You have announcers bringing up how late an official threw a flag more and more these days. If they saw the infraction during the play, why did it take them until after the play is finished to pull their hankie out of their pocket???
It's very fishy IMO.

ajajaj said:
Did anyone else hear about the time situation in Pittsburgh?

they added 52 seconds to the clock and nobody noticed.

how would you feel if the fins were the steelers and lost a game due to this?

I'm telling you, the patriots are lucky

they were in the hurry up and used all their time outs. they used 1:20 sec. to get that field goal without the error they would have had only :33 seconds. They wouldn't have had time to kick the field goal meaning o/t and who knows what could have happened then.

I read that they took only 34 seconds to get down the field and into position, and then let ~45 seconds run off the clock before taking the kick. In that case I'm guessing they could have sped it up by 2 seconds. But even if they had needed every second of the extra time I don't think it detracts from their win. The screw-up was by a guy the Steelers organization hired. The Steelers can see the clock as well as anyone, and they didn't notice. And for nearly one full quarter all decisions were based on the incorrect time. There is absolutely no basis for suggesting that NE benefitted from the extra time any more than the Steelers did, certainly not simply because they had the ball last. Besides, if they hadn't had time to win it they still would have tied. So it's not like you can even say "they should have lost". And who do you think would have won in overtime? Really.

I'm prepared for rebuttal from some but...If plays can be reviewed from the sidelines and in the 2 minute zone, then why can't "questionable", game changing, calls be reviewed such as pass interference. With the ticky tack rule change regarding pass interference now, you can run a go route and draw the penalty almost automatically! It has changed many an outcome of a close game. The games should NOT be in the refs hands to determine. Phantom calls just piss me off no matter who they're against. The league must do something!

Al13 said:
yeah good coaching aside, but you can say what you want, the pats have a little angel on their shoulders, that started to work for them at home against the raiders when the tuck rule was invented new....

it's all luck, but it's running out very quickly

Back
Top Bottom