MERGED 7X:Ireland live press conference/Ireland Tips Hand? | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED 7X:Ireland live press conference/Ireland Tips Hand?

Ireland is cool as a cucumber, did anybody notice he had some dip in his mouth during the press conference, that guy is all BUSINESS! we are lucky to have him, he will be the next great GM in this league no doubt about it.

Sorry, but after watching video of Jeff Ireland's Press Conference, I honestly cannot buy that he was setting up a 'smokescreen.' He really and truly did 'tip the hand' of the dolphins draft. Did you see his face? He didn't even realize what he said. And how in the WORLD would such a smokescreen work, anyhow? If in fact Jake Long is the target, and this whole comment was 'planned,' what must Long be thinking right now? I just don't buy the whole 'deception' thing. I am convinced, after watching this, that we are going defense with this first pick. The Dolphins know who they want, that much is crystal clear, and my 'hunch' is that Gholston will be the choice, despite the fact that Chris Long has been my pick all along. I think passing up on Chris is a BIG mistake. This kid is incredible in all facets of the game, and I do believe that he is a franchise type of player that is a better DE prospect than Williams was two years ago. Anyhow, I think that Jeff Ireland just tipped the rest of the league off, (pretty stupid mistake), but let's be honest: If we ARE going defense, that still means that there are 3 players who could be the choice, and it still shrouds the pick in mystery; albeit that the fog is a bit thinner right now...Thoughts...??

Although I thought the "slip-up" was intentional (he paused slightly before saying "defense" and then played stupid with "huh, what did i say?" at this point I really don't know what to think...another poster said that Chris Long was on NFL Live and said there has been NO contact between him & the Dolphins. This doesn't bode well for anyone hoping we go with Chris Long as you would think at this stage some minimal contact or "feelers" would have gone on between them. (Or you can play the semantics game and say that "well, maybe they didn't talk to Chris directly just his agent" but I don't think in that case C. Long would say there has been no contact).

Ireland is cool as a cucumber, did anybody notice he had some dip in his mouth during the press conference, that guy is all BUSINESS! we are lucky to have him, he will be the next great GM in this league no doubt about it.

That's a nasty habit. Oh well, as long as he knows what he's doing when it comes to drafting good football players. That habit is going to comeback and haunt him!

One thing that kind of struck me as strange...the information regarding the "slip up" is no where to be found on the transcript from the press conference...Also, Andy Kent wrote about the press conference and didnt mention it at all.

:foundout:

Not saying I believe this, Im just saying...

Do you guys really believe that Bill will take Chris Long without having a contract in place? I say no way...we haven't even talked to him yet...you guys are making way too much of this....I believe that the FO wants Jake....if he doesn't take the contract then we'll go defence but it might be Gholston....I'd not cry if we take Chris but I don't see Tuna doing it unless he agrees to a contract first.

Ozzy rules!!

So let me get this straight. We make it known we would like to have Jake Long. We enter contract negotiations with him. It's no secret everyone knows it.

So why would we then hold a press conference and refuse to talk about him? Mighty interesting. Everyone knows u r talking to him, so why not talk about him?

It's also intersting how this conference is announced the day after we offer long a Contract and reportedly it's not good enough.

People will have many different opinions obviously. I see it this way.

The Phins would love to have Jake Long #1 overall.
The Phins would love to trade down more however

So, Jake Long negotiations start and even though we would like to have him, no trade offers are coming in for the #1.

I see this whole script concocted for 2 reasons.

1) to get Jake Long to accept the contract in fear we might draft somewhere else
2) To make St Louis or Atlanta trade up out of fear we might take their guy. If for some reason they believe St Louis really wants Chris Long. It's a smart play. Even if they trade up and Take Jake Long, they still have Chris and Vernon rated almost as close so they still get "their guy"

I do believe it was an inetntional mess up. It's a great PSYCH game. It really is. Too many factors went into this being a "Reall" mess up on ireland's part. To many variables point to it being "fixed" for me personally

people may be saying that chris long has not been contacted by the dolphins but I dont believe that they arent strongly considering him.....

keep in mind, parcells and chris long's coach at uva, al groh, have been good friends for many years and have even coached together. I find it hard to believe that al groh hasnt got parcells sold on chris long even enough to speak with him.... definitly something going on there I think

Miami it trying to get the Rams to swap doing everything they can with Jake long and you know C Long is the man because nothing is said anymore about him and thats the parcells way.

Miami it trying to get the Rams to swap doing everything they can with Jake long and you know C Long is the man because nothing is said anymore about him and thats the parcells way.

Nothing is also being said about Glenn Dorsey and Matt Ryan either. Chris Long will not be the pick IMO. If it's defense it will be Dorsey or Gholston.

I am beginning to think if it's really not Jake Long that Matt Ryan may indeed be the pick. I hope that isn't the case

Ireland didnt slip for the first time yest...or was it a slip up?

for those of you that were SHOCKED yesturday regarding IRELAND has his "slip up" I have been saying this for the past few weeks b/c some ppl didnt notice it or forgot but during the SENIOR BOWL practices in one of his interviews he said you are looking for a guy that can get to the QB for the next 10 years at least 10 times when you pick this high.

That was the 1st time n this is the 2nd time yesturday.

I think it was most definiately a slip. You could read that all over his face after he said it. He knew he messed up and tried to cover himself. You are right about what is most likely thinking though. I wasn't shocked he is thinking defense just shocked he used the words he did. He was trying to play poker and let his hand slip out.

Back
Top Bottom