Merged: Ask Boomer (No B.S. Wanted) | Page 38 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Ask Boomer (No B.S. Wanted)

What about marcus vick would u be willing to take a chance on him? The kid obviously has skills, and if hes gonna drop low y not take a chance on him

Can Eric Winston play left tackle at the next level, or do you think the Phins would take him at right tackle and then have a competition between Carey and Alabi? Or will the Phins take Winston Justice? And if so right or left tackle? I really like Alabi (fellow Nigerian!) and I hope he makes it. CK, what's your assessment of Alabi? Thanks.

Dolphins_SR66 said:
CK, WR Chad Jackson just clocked two unofficial 40' times of 4.37 and 4.29 (edit: official 4.32)....you sure we dont target him at #16?
You didn't ask me, but I'm throwing this out for other people's thoughts.

I think if we land Culpepper, Jackson has to be on our radar for the sole purpose that we could get him and allow him to do his "rookie WR learning year" that so many WRs need when making the transition to the NFL while Culpepper is healing from his injury. That way when Culpepper is back, we have someone who's really ready to stretch the field in the manner Culpepper is accustomed to and take advantage of his arm.

Chambers can do that too, but right now Chambers is being used as the possession receiver in this offense. Booker is actually the deep threat. I'd think if we landed Culpepper we'd want a more bona fide deep threat than Booker without having to move Chambers from the position in which he made the Pro Bowl for the first time.

It'd be interesting to see a list of the top WRs who will be free agents after the 2006 season (there's nobody there this year), because that would probably factor into this too. If we think we can land one of those guys then we may not want to use a first-day pick on a WR this year.

finsfan_84 said:
What about marcus vick would u be willing to take a chance on him? The kid obviously has skills, and if hes gonna drop low y not take a chance on him

I'd take him with a 7th...probably our last 7th round pick. Basically he's worth nothing to me more than just an investment. If you get him into camp, signed and under contract, and you keep his nose clean for 2 years, you have a decent shot at trading him to someone for a 4th or 5th two years later saying he's "reformed his ways" or whatever. Never, and I mean ever, do I want to see him actually taking snaps as our first string QB...from a character standpoint OR a talent standpoint. He's a better passer than his brother but I still am not convinced he's good enough to be an NFL starter. He becomes a sissy when hit a lot, too.

tmny99 said:
Can Eric Winston play left tackle at the next level, or do you think the Phins would take him at right tackle and then have a competition between Carey and Alabi? Or will the Phins take Winston Justice? And if so right or left tackle? I really like Alabi (fellow Nigerian!) and I hope he makes it. CK, what's your assessment of Alabi? Thanks.

What scares me about Winston is his short reach...about 32 inches...and his small hands, about 9.25 inches. Those are EXTREMELY short for a tackle prospect. He's pretty athletic, and he showed it in the Combine with his 40. He's also got great attitude, but you know what he has been dominated by speed rushers and he'll continue to be dominated because he just doesn't have the tools to do the job. He would be a serviceable tackle, but IMO he's a left guard.

Alabi was a Houck pick...spent 3 days with the man talking about football and life and whatever else. He's got a great tackle's body, he's very athletic (great broad jump and whatnot, not so much in the 40)...he was strong for college but needed to get stronger for the NFL. He looked like a backup OT in preseason when I watched him. He didn't look like a poor rookie that gets victimized over and over, but he didn't look like a starter either. That is to be expected, as he's got some work to do with his body and his technique to get to where he needs to be. We've heard that they really think he could be the LT of the future...maybe the RT...so we'll just have to say. Again, this is a HOUCK guy...if you trust Houck then trust Alabi.

Sup, Boom and CK I dont know if this was anwsered a while back but thats alot of posts to look at. I was wondering what are your guys thoughts on Matt Roth. How do you guys see him fitting into our system? Could he lose wieght and play a Linebacker. Gain wieght and play a 3-4 DE? Will he just play on passing downs to rush the passer sorta like David Bowens last year?

PhinsRDbest said:
Sup, Boom and CK I dont know if this was anwsered a while back but thats alot of posts to look at. I was wondering what are your guys thoughts on Matt Roth. How do you guys see him fitting into our system? Could he lose wieght and play a Linebacker. Gain wieght and play a 3-4 DE? Will he just play on passing downs to rush the passer sorta like David Bowens last year?

I don't mean to be rude, I know the thread is long and a bit cumbersome, but I believe we have addressed Roth and instead of typing something out again on him I think maybe if you just set your thread settings such that it displays all of a thread's posts on one page, then hit CTRL-F and type in "matt roth" you'll probably find our answers.

Dolphins_SR66 said:
Draft Guru's:

Not trying to go to far off topic regarding someone not in the upcoming draft, but wondering if Brady Quinn would have declared where would you have slotted him this year?

Top 5 pick. I think he'll be the number one overall pick in 2007.

Hey guys, this year ive followed USF pretty closley. Im a big Andre Hall fan and was wodering were you guys saw him going?

Can he slip into the 2nd round? I know hes undersized but he runs like hes 250. I heard he ran a very impressive 40 as well.

Dolphins_SR66 said:
CK, -

Watching NFL Network, Corey Chavous and Mike Mayock have ranked there Top 10 Prospects in the draft. The video is on NFL.com.

Any way, did you see Chavous surprised everyone with his views that QB Reggie McNeal is his #1 prospect and athlete in the entire draft. He picked him ahead of R. Bush, V. Davis, M. Williams, V. Young. He said he may not be selected in 1st or 2nd round but he is the best one in the draft.

If we grab a FA QB prior to as you suspect, could you see Miami taking him in the 3rd if he was still there?

Or is Chavous just so far out there you dismiss it entirely? BPA, Best Athlete Available logic could make him hard to pass up or would it be a wasted pick?

McNeil just reeled off a 4.37 so that whole 'move to WR' may well happen. But first teams MUST disprove that he's not an NFL QB. After that happens, then lets see if he can play WR. He certainly has the size and speed to play there.

To give Chavous credit, he's stuck with McNeil since the end of the last draft.

As for Miami taking him, I think unlikely. There has been talk of Houston liking him as high as the 33rd pick. I think he'll probably go as QB in the 2nd round.

Becks7 said:
Boomer and Parrothead,

I love your guys passion and knowledge but I live in St. Louis and there is NO WAY Vince Young will end up here. This team has such an insane lack of talent on the defensive side of the ball that there will be a revolt in this town if they take a qb.
It's just not going to happen guys.

I think it all comes down to how much Linehan feels that he can move forwards and for how long, with Marc Bulger. At the Combine interviews, as CK said, Scott came away with some amazing quotes. I take the point that they have struggled on defense, especially with early draft picks - Archeluta, Polley, Kennedy, the Ohio State kid Pickett, the UM kid at DT, etc. But if Greenway, Hawk, Williams, Ngata, Huff, etc are gone, then I don't see them taking Jimmy Williams or Tamba Hali. Antonio Cromartie maybe, but if Young is there, then the only person I see them skipping Young for would be Vernon Davis. That's of course if Oakland haven't snapped him up at 7. (Davis not Young).

tylerdolphin said:
All this Mike Williams talk made me think of another Mike Williams. I remeber being real high on him before the draft last year. I thought he would be the best WR. I wouldnt have minded if the Dolphins had traded down and picked him.
This year though he had just 29 receptions. Reading an article on CNNSI a few months ago Peter King said he was far too slow and that the Lions should trade him now if they could get a 3rd for him. Whats your opinion on him? Is he really too slow to ever make it? Why didnt teams see that in the combine?

Shall I tell you the Mike Williams issue? Lack of commitment to the cause brought on by playing alongside Charles Rodgers and Roy Williams who have been dogging it in terms of working out, practices, etc. Rod Marinelli won't stand for any of that nonsense. None whatsoever. I think you'll see a very different triumverate of receivers this year.

They didn't help Harrington, yet Joey got a lot of the blame. Williams' speed was always a question mark, but the same thing was said about two very fine WR's a Mr J. Rice and a Mr A. Boldin.

I think as much as I like Peter King, lets wait 3 more years before we right him off.

Don Banks, who I have huge respect for at CNNSI confirms that Vince Young scored a 6.

Dolphin$ said:
Boomer I was just wondering what you thought of Brandon Johnson from louisville. This kid is big (6'5") with a around a 6.5 to a 6.55 40 time i heard. I think that he migh tfit pretty good if we use a 3-4 defense because he could play many different positions. I have heard some but not a whole lot on this kid so i was wondering what you thought. do you think we could get him in the third or fourth round and do ou think he would be worth it there.

Unlikely as he's so small size wise. He played his senior year at 218lbs, which is safety size. In fact he'll be worked out at safety on Monday and Tuesday.

Back
Top Bottom