Merged: Ask Boomer (No B.S. Wanted) | Page 36 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Ask Boomer (No B.S. Wanted)

Becks7 said:
Boomer and Parrothead,

I love your guys passion and knowledge but I live in St. Louis and there is NO WAY Vince Young will end up here. This team has such an insane lack of talent on the defensive side of the ball that there will be a revolt in this town if they take a qb.
It's just not going to happen guys.

I think they'll go offense, but not Young. My guess is TE.

Alex22 said:
Boomer or CK

Well with reports that Vince Young scored a 6 on his Wonderlic test im wondering how much stock do you put into it?

I find the test very stupid as it doesnt measure what you do or how much football knowledge you have on the field, but Id like to know how much you guys put into it?

In lamest terms do you think the test is stupid

No, I don't think it's stupid at all. It is a measure of functional intelligence, and scoring a 6 is terrible. It means you probably shouldn't have graduated high school, let alone been able to get far in college.

I've taken the wonderlic before, for work....same conditions as these guys take it, 50 questions in 12 minutes. We're talking about stuff as simple as adding some fractions...basic verbal skills, etc.

If you don't think it's important you really ought to take a look at an NFL playbook some time. I've seen Saban's from LSU in 2001 and let me tell you it can make MY head spin and I'm a freaking equity analyst.

I think you have to pay attention to the wonderlic with quarterbacks.. With other positions, it's more of a "red flag vs. blue ribbon" thing where you don't care about the score so long as it's not super low (and a 6 certainly qualifies as that, trust me) or if it's super high you might want to really take note.

BTW if this wonderlic score is confirmed, I may start thinking that Vince is going to end up being a WR. It is THAT huge. He's not a first round QB in my mind, IF this report is true that he scored a 6. That's how big this is.

ckparrothead said:
BTW if this wonderlic score is confirmed, I may start thinking that Vince is going to end up being a WR. It is THAT huge. He's not a first round QB in my mind, IF this report is true that he scored a 6. That's how big this is.

LOL, was just gonna ask you this very question....maybe he retakes it during his pro workout...:sidelol: :sidelol:
:read: :rtfm: :dunce:

To me it doesn't matter. He's too dumb (and so is his agent) to even get hold of old tests and start practicing the tests to prevent a disaster like this.

ckparrothead said:
To me it doesn't matter. He's too dumb (and so is his agent) to even get hold of old tests and start practicing the tests to prevent a disaster like this.
You have to remember though that this is being reported PFT whos "source" admits he has never even actually seen the test scores.

dolphan117 said:
You have to remember though that this is being reported PFT whos "source" admits he has never even actually seen the test scores.

You're right. We'll find out soon enough I suppose. I hate to really start hating on Young until we've got confirmation, but honestly it isn't that much of a surprise. KB21 has always been down on the guy but give credit where credit is due he said that in interviews it sounds like the guy has trouble stringing sentences together and he wonders if he can even score in the teens on the wonderlic...

ckparrothead said:

How could you say someone that was projected high first round should now change his position because of a test... I think the test should have some significance but i wouldnt put too much into it. I agree that it is hard reading a playbook, but it is something that young has been doing since he was a freshmen in highschool, so what the guy isnt good at adding fractions but the man can play football, this goes alot with my belive that young will be a great qb, however it will take him longer to develope than most other qb's.

So, the wonderlic test doesn't consist of questions specific to football? (I'm asking cuz I don't know)

Lazy1 said:
How could you say someone that was projected high first round should now change his position because of a test... I think the test should have some significance but i wouldnt put too much into it. I agree that it is hard reading a playbook, but it is something that young has been doing since he was a freshmen in highschool, so what the guy isnt good at adding fractions but the man can play football, this goes alot with my belive that young will be a great qb, however it will take him longer to develope than most other qb's.

i think it has a bearing with the position of qb.

ckparrothead said:

what was carey's test results from his (i forget)

ckparrothead said:
You're right. We'll find out soon enough I suppose. I hate to really start hating on Young until we've got confirmation, but honestly it isn't that much of a surprise. KB21 has always been down on the guy but give credit where credit is due he said that in interviews it sounds like the guy has trouble stringing sentences together and he wonders if he can even score in the teens on the wonderlic...

Thats not true at all he just talks kinda fast and weird

But Ive heard him break down USC's defense before the game and in tons of interviews and ive always understood every word he said and it seems as though he has plenty of football knowledge

Anyway I dont agree with your take on the test but I respect your opinion on it, as you know more than most the other people attacking it

Lazy1 said:

The issue is the test results give a bad CONTEXT to things that scouts already knew. What they already KNEW is that Mack Brown modified the offense for Vince Young instead of trying to mold him into a pocket passer. NOW, we know why. Mack simplified the offense...a lot. Now, we know WHY he did that...because to be quite honest, Vince is dumb as rocks. I'm not holding back on this one. I've been there. I've taken this 50 question test in the 12 minutes alotted and I've scored in the 40's on it. If you score a 6 on it, you CANNOT operate a complex NFL offense. Simple as that.

Comparing the playbooks that Vince has operated in high school and in college with whatever playbook he gets in the NFL is utmost folly. The NFL playbooks and offenses are far more complicated. FAR more.

You know why he was a sure fire first rounder before now? Because people assumed he wasn't dumb as a coke can. People naturally just assume this out of QBs. They knew Mack Brown dumbed down the offense but nobody attributed it to a mental problem...they attributed it to Vince wanting to use his legs and Mack not having the willpower to force Young to operate the offense as is until he gets use to it. But, now we know the full story. The offense got dumbed down because Vince simply couldn't compute it. It's like tryin to shove a watermelon through a keyhole.

You can say what you want about how one test shouldn't affect a guy that much, but it does. It most certainly does. He can be a pretty good WR. I'd draft him in the 3rd as a WR...if he runs really fast at his pro day maybe the 2nd...

Back
Top Bottom