Merged: Ask Boomer (No B.S. Wanted) | Page 37 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Ask Boomer (No B.S. Wanted)

This doesn't really affect the fins much because I don't think we will take a RB on the first day but if CK or Boomer could give their opinion, it'd be appreciated.

The 4 top rated RB's in the draft aren't going to run at the combine. I didn't really think that Reggie would run and maybe not LenDale either because their pro days are on April and that gives them another month to workout and get ready but I am extremely surprised and astounded that Maroney and Williams aren't running.

I think Maroney came down with a hamstring injury(?) but I was just thinking that if they all declined to run don't you think it would open the door for White, Maroney or Williams to move up a few spots. I'm just really surprised that none of them after hearing the others weren't running, stepped up like Cutler and recognised a golden opportunity when they saw it.

I would have also thought that they would have learnt from Caddy and Ronnie from doing the combine and how much they improved their stock.

Supposedly Maroney's hammy is genuinely injured...but you're right in that another guy used this opportunity to make his mark and will now be a first rounder, maybe above Maroney.

That guy is Joseph Addai...out of LSU. He's a powerful back with good all-around skills a la Ronnie Brown (blocking, catching, etc). Well he just went out there and ran two straight 4.37's in the 40 at 5'11" and 214 pounds. That's SMOKING, let me tell you. These are ELECTRONIC times...and remember that electronically Ronnie and Caddy timed out at like 4.46 last year. Brian Calhoun got 4.63 and 4.60, as an example. Maurice Drew was 4.47 and 4.43. That should give you good perspective on Addai.

I think Joseph Addai has firmly moved himself into round 1 of this draft and quite possibly above Maroney...so if Maroney actually could have run, he did do himself a disservice by not going out there and giving it a go.

I watched the RB's 40 yrd on NFL network. Before shelving a guy due to a slow time. I gotta point out the best times came from guys who knew how to "explode" out of the hole. I'm talkin about guys who double duty as sprinters for their colleges track teams.

I'd really pay attention to the "splits" particularly at the 10yrd and 20 yrd markers.

PHINANALYST said:
Unlikely that VY would drop to out of the 1st round ...

Someone will take a chance on him ....

Don't be so sure. BEFORE this test result came out, more scouts than not were expressing clear discomfort with Vince Young in the first round, and he had dropped from a top 5 pick to a mid-first pick...I had him going to the Rams at #11.

Now, I don't see how Scott Linehan is going to convince the Rams power structure to take a chance on a "book dumb" quarterback when they've already got Marc Bulger. That is to say, unless Scott has the juice up in St. Louis...and I'm not sure if he does or not.

From there...I don't know that I see any team taking him as a QB in the first.

ckparrothead said:
Don't be so sure. BEFORE this test result came out, more scouts than not were expressing clear discomfort with Vince Young in the first round, and he had dropped from a top 5 pick to a mid-first pick...I had him going to the Rams at #11.

Now, I don't see how Scott Linehan is going to convince the Rams power structure to take a chance on a "book dumb" quarterback when they've already got Marc Bulger. That is to say, unless Scott has the juice up in St. Louis...and I'm not sure if he does or not.

"From there...I don't know that I see any team taking him as a QB in the "first.

so u think he could be converted into say a WR? imo that isnt very smart, he has great passing ability from wut ive seen, good accuracy and strenght, wasting somone with as much QB talent as he has would be stupid, even with a bad FB IQ, or w.e that test is for, it didnt effect him in college, although it is college and not the nfl, but still, Vince Young at WR?? and im assuming that duz u said

"i dont know taht i see any team taking him as a QB in the first"

CK, WR Chad Jackson just clocked two unofficial 40' times of 4.37 and 4.29 (edit: official 4.32)....you sure we dont target him at #16?

wut do we need a WR for? We got 2 Good Wr and we can pick up a decent one in FA, WR doesnt address our current needs and doesnt fill any holes

our holes are at

O-Line-----D-secondary----Qb ----LB No specific order, but rightnow WR is not our main concern, and who cares how fast a guy can run, he needs to be able to play the game of football, not just run fast.

I've been saying for months in several different threads that Vince Young is the second coming of Akili Smith. Whomever selects him as a QB will be getting the Booby Prize of the 2006 Draft.

Didn't the other hype machine, Daunte Culpepper, also score quite low on the Wonderlic? In fact, there were serious questions from Peter King and others that his scores were on the level and may have been even lower than what was recorded.

One story:
http://community.livejournal.com/nflfans/589032.html

Ok let's get something straight here Daunte Culpepper scored like a 15 or 16 on the Wonderlic...which is the same score as Dan Marino and is viewed as a low score for a QB but not a score that is TOO low. Second Daunte Culpepper had his career year during 2004 when Randy Moss was injured and ineffective for MUCH of the year. He had a QB rating of 98.3 in the 5 games in which Moss didn't play.

Scoring a 6 is viewed as a low score for ANY position, and many scouts just plain will toss out players that score that low at ANY position.

Daunte Culpepper is NOT to be compared with Vince Young in any way, shape or form.

Vince Young's college passing ability simply will NOT translate into the pros if he's not capable of comprehending a complex NFL offense. It is that simple. What we knew is that Mack Brown simplified his own offense for Vince Young, but we didn't know why. Now we know why. Vince Young will never be a successful pro QB. I am 100% confident in saying that, declaring it from the mountain tops, etc. That score is HUGE.

finsfan_84 said:
wut do we need a WR for? We got 2 Good Wr and we can pick up a decent one in FA, WR doesnt address our current needs and doesnt fill any holes

our holes are at

O-Line-----D-secondary----Qb ----LB No specific order, but rightnow WR is not our main concern, and who cares how fast a guy can run, he needs to be able to play the game of football, not just run fast.

While I appreciate your viewpoint, I wouldnt classify Miami's WR group as set and secure.

Yes we do have other needs, but 1st round BPA, BAA who will definately start and play right away could justify a WR.

Thats all, thats my viewpoint. I woudnt classify the football style that a WR like Chad Jackson displays to be a wasted pick if selected at #16.

For the draft guru's out there.....where exactly do you see Omar Jacobs going? Do you think he will be there when we are up with our 4th round pick?

Ace88 said:
For the draft guru's out there.....we exactly do you see Omar Jacobs going? Do you think he will be there when we are up with our 4th round pick?

He could be available in the 4th but I'm debating whether or not I would take him there.

Back
Top Bottom