Merged: Eagles send DT Walker to Bills in deal for LB Spikes | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Eagles send DT Walker to Bills in deal for LB Spikes

Sure the Bills are headed in a different direction. They are in turmoil on defense. The Fins are in turmoil on offense. The Bills struggled on defense last season and so far have gotten worse this offseason. The Fins struggled on offense last season and so far have gotten worse this offseason.

The Bills added two FA OL last off season. One of them got demoted all the way to water boy. This season they added two more. I'm not nearly as high on Langston Walker as Bill's fans seem to be. The Bills have been attempting to fix the OL via FA for years. It hasn't worked so far. I'm hoping the Fins address their OL in the draft. I'd love them to take Levi Brown and Ryan Kalil with their first two picks.

IMO, the Bills have created more holes than they can fill in one draft. LB, CB, DL, RB, WR, TE, are all still areas of need. Like it or not, a team that finished 7-9 lost several starters.

The fans of every team hope their offseason moves all work out. We know from experience that they often don't.
Well I agree some of the players we lost will be missed, but lets examine this a bit further.

Spikes: Spikes was on his way to greatness after 2004, but after the initial achilles injury he has been plagued by other injuries since. We've been compensating for a lack of Spikes even when he was a bill so this won't be much of a change. He's getting older and comanding too much money for the level of production.

Fletcher: Although I loved Fletcher as a bill because of his tenacity and character, he was afterall undersized and an upgrade in height would help us over the middle in the cover two. Also, look how no name rookies came out and were able to shine at linebacker ala Demeco Ryans. Sure Fletcher made a lot of tackles, but not many were for loss or no gain. I think a rookie could do fairly well replacing Fletcher.

Clements: Clements obviously was our biggest hit. He was a great cover corner and a sure tackler when he wanted to be. I'd like to see the bills pick up a cb in the third round. And if you remember last years draft the bills got one of the top cornerback prospects in Ashton Youboty. After a year of grooming I'd like to see him compete and hopefully win the starting job this year.

McGahee: All I can say about McGahee is I won't miss him in the slightest. Lurning curve for running backs in this league is a lot smaller than that of any other position. I'm praying that somehow Peterson falls to us, but if not I'll be satisfied with a rb in the 2, 3, or even fourth round. Rookie running backs can easily dominate ala Maroney, Addai, Jones-Drew.

Yes the bills are losing their former identity, but is that really so bad? Sure, uncertainty is there, but we didn't win with those big name players, so why continue to pay grossly for their services as they age and diminish? Look at a team like N.O. Rookies and no name players turned that team from the cellar to elite status in just one year.

I support Marv and I support the youth movement. Marv and Jauron are smart guys and I feel a lot more confident with them at the helm than I ever did with Donahoe and Mularkey. Just my take.

Well I agree some of the players we lost will be missed, but lets examine this a bit further.

Spikes: Spikes was on his way to greatness after 2004, but after the initial achilles injury he has been plagued by other injuries since. We've been compensating for a lack of Spikes even when he was a bill so this won't be much of a change. He's getting older and comanding too much money for the level of production.

Agreed, but last year was his first year back from the achilles injury. He should be closer to his level of play of 2004. The Bill's defense dropped off after 2004. They haven't replaced his production from 2004 yet. He may not be worth the money but he is probably better than any LB left on the roster.

Fletcher: Although I loved Fletcher as a bill because of his tenacity and character, he was afterall undersized and an upgrade in height would help us over the middle in the cover two. Also, look how no name rookies came out and were able to shine at linebacker ala Demeco Ryans. Sure Fletcher made a lot of tackles, but not many were for loss or no gain. I think a rookie could do fairly well replacing Fletcher.

He may be replaceable but as of now, there is a hole. In addition, it remains to be seen how the veteran leadership of Spikes and Fletcher will be replaced. That will not come from a rookie. Also, Darwin Walker is a duplicate of Tripplett and is really only a depth player.

Clements: Clements obviously was our biggest hit. He was a great cover corner and a sure tackler when he wanted to be. I'd like to see the bills pick up a cb in the third round. And if you remember last years draft the bills got one of the top cornerback prospects in Ashton Youboty. After a year of grooming I'd like to see him compete and hopefully win the starting job this year.

This is a big question mark. He didn't get much playing time last season. It would be a shock if he is as good as Clements, so this is a downgrade. I understand not playing the stupid money that Clements got but the CB position is still a concern.

McGahee: All I can say about McGahee is I won't miss him in the slightest. Lurning curve for running backs in this league is a lot smaller than that of any other position. I'm praying that somehow Peterson falls to us, but if not I'll be satisfied with a rb in the 2, 3, or even fourth round. Rookie running backs can easily dominate ala Maroney, Addai, Jones-Drew.

Yes the bills are losing their former identity, but is that really so bad? Sure, uncertainty is there, but we didn't win with those big name players, so why continue to pay grossly for their services as they age and diminish? Look at a team like N.O. Rookies and no name players turned that team from the cellar to elite status in just one year.

I support Marv and I support the youth movement. Marv and Jauron are smart guys and I feel a lot more confident with them at the helm than I ever did with Donahoe and Mularkey. Just my take.

While I agree that most of the moves had to be made, they still leave many holes. They need contributions this year from rookies at several positions.

Wagon Circler said:
No doubt about it. We definately need the rookies to step up and play major roles. I'm a bit more comfortable with that notion after what we went through last year.

I think the holes that rookies will be asked to fill this season are easier to fill than the ones last year's crop had to fill. Lots of rookie RBs contribute as first year players, and some become starters by the second half of the season. LB is an easier position for a rookie to play than DT, FS, or SS! Even CB in the cover-2 is easier than safety.

No doubt about it. We definately need the rookies to step up and play major roles. I'm a bit more comfortable with that notion after what we went through last year.

This also seems like a pretty deep draft. Buffalo will have some interesting decisions to make with their first pick. If Okoye, Willis, Lynch, and their top CB are available at 12, who do they pick?

This also seems like a pretty deep draft. Buffalo will have some interesting decisions to make with their first pick. If Okoye, Willis, Lynch, and their top CB are available at 12, who do they pick?
I'd take Willis. Although, Okoye is very intriguing I'm not a fan of using two first round picks on DT's in back to back years. Besides, we just signed Walker to most likely rotate with tripplett, so I'll take my chances with them and McCargo/K.Williams.

Fills glaring hole, clear cut best prospect at his position....give me Willis.

But the ultimate dream scenario would of course be Adrian Peterson. Which could happen!

Back
Top Bottom