MERGED: Its Over, Rams resign Atogwe | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Its Over, Rams resign Atogwe

Oh well. Everything happens for a reason: That's my belief.

i'm gonna bookmark that site...cool

Worth bookmarking, definitely. Worth spending hours on, even.

But DO NOT trust the ratings. Stats, ok but not always reliable. Participation, gold. Ratings, crap. Maybe as the most trivial of supporting points in an argument but the South Florida media has started to use their ratings definitively saying something like "So and so was the #13 rated safety in the NFL." and that is just wrong.

Their ratings overly simplistic mathematical treatments of subjective evaluations. They watch a play and give a guy a plus or a minus on the play, and then just slap it all together into a rating and it's all just really wreckless. Evaluating is an art, not a science. They have no appreciation for that and so that's how you get things like Takeo Spikes being a much more highly rated ILB in 2008 than his teammate Patrick Willis, who was only just a little bit better than Channing Crowder.

i'm gonna do some research on malcom jenkins...i could have sworn slimm and i were like ugh when we saw his combine #...maybe it was his pro day at ohio st or something but i could have sworn i saw a number that i was like that is a concern...

ck, how do you have these snap #s so handy??? it's impressive but how do you do it??? you must have some serious spreadsheets on dolphins players and the nfl in general...

It wasn't the combine numbers that I was concerned with... it was watching him get burned over the top in man coverage.... especially against LSU in a game that I studied the film on. And he wasn't getting burned by speedsters either....Early Doucet was one of them.

The concern with Jenkins was with how stiffed hipped he was.... and you and I discussed at length that we just didn't think he could survive at corner in the NFL.... only to hear as the draft neared, that in fact some teams were flat out telling Jenkins that he was a safety on their board.

Personally, I think Jenkins best chance at corner in the NFL would've been in a Cover-2 defense...

yeah slimm but wasn't he slow??? wasn't there a number that you and i didn't like...

i agree at cb cover 2 made the most sense but i keep thinking we didn't like his speed either...

Worth bookmarking, definitely. Worth spending hours on, even.

But DO NOT trust the ratings. Stats, ok but not always reliable. Participation, gold. Ratings, crap. Maybe as the most trivial of supporting points in an argument but the South Florida media has started to use their ratings definitively saying something like "So and so was the #13 rated safety in the NFL." and that is just wrong.

Their ratings overly simplistic mathematical treatments of subjective evaluations. They watch a play and give a guy a plus or a minus on the play, and then just slap it all together into a rating and it's all just really wreckless. Evaluating is an art, not a science. They have no appreciation for that and so that's how you get things like Takeo Spikes being a much more highly rated ILB in 2008 than his teammate Patrick Willis, who was only just a little bit better than Channing Crowder.

great...so now i have to pick thru the info

lol...don't worry if patrick willis is listed anywhere on the same page as channing crowder i'll KNOW to disregard the ratings...ha ha

Personally I was a big Malcolm Jenkins fan at CB. He's not slow. He's big, he has adequate speed, and great agility. Can really stick his nose in there. I think he'll be OK in time. Whether it be CB in a Cover 2 or CB in something else, or moving over to safety. His versatility is a source of value, to me.

yeah slimm but wasn't he slow??? wasn't there a number that you and i didn't like...

i agree at cb cover 2 made the most sense but i keep thinking we didn't like his speed either...

Yeah I think it was his first run... some scouts had him timed as high as 4.59ish or something..... got it down into the low 4.5's on his second attempt...

But like I said, it was his transition out of his backpedal that's what was getting him into trouble..

yeah but versatility can also get you in trouble...see jason allen

i have a tough time getting excited about guys that i perceive as tweeners...not a cb not a safety...in between

i don't have high praise for guys that i rate that way...

i kind of had that rating on sean smith last year...

Good!!!! Why overspend when we have a future star in Clemons. Gotta give it time.

Yeah I think it was his first run... some scouts had him timed as high as 4.59ish or something..... got it down into the low 4.5's on his second attempt...

But like I said, it was his transition out of his backpedal that's what was getting him into trouble..

Same problem with Reshad Jones. His transition time blows.

reshad jones at free safety is not good...not from what i've seen...i think he'll make a good ss...provided he stops going for the kill shot every time and learns to not go head hunting...seems like he's gonna get a lot of 15 yard personal foul penalties otherwise

Byrd had an EXTREMELY lucky year.

I mean, I'm not saying that he's one of the best safeties out there, but you're being silly if you think he got NINE interceptions in eleven starts, fourteen games via luck.

#2 - Incorrect, Byrd got to the ball and reached out to snatch it away from Braylon JUST before it reached his hands.

#3 - Looks more like a 2-3 yard overthrow that his receiver was in stride with. Byrd expanded his zone to get it once he made his read.

#5 - It's a good grab. That ball was spinning like crazy, and once again he RAN to the right place.

#6 - Byrd runs and makes a DIVING CATCH. You think it was right to him?

#8 - Deflected bullet passes aren't very easy to catch within two yards. Good eyes on the ball to secure it.

#9 - He catches it far and wide on the left side of his body after it's tipped. Good eyes.

There are actually six interceptions that are primarily from great ball hawking.

He was known as a ball hawk coming out of school. It's not like it should be hard to believe that the starting FS in one of the best secondaries in football is good.

I mean, I'm not saying that he's one of the best safeties out there, but you're being silly if you think he got NINE interceptions in eleven starts, fourteen games via luck.

#2 - Incorrect, Byrd got to the ball and reached out to snatch it away from Braylon JUST before it reached his hands.

#3 - Looks more like a 2-3 yard overthrow that his receiver was in stride with. Byrd expanded his zone to get it once he made his read.

#5 - It's a good grab. That ball was spinning like crazy, and once again he RAN to the right place.

#6 - Byrd runs and makes a DIVING CATCH. You think it was right to him?

#8 - Deflected bullet passes aren't very easy to catch within two yards. Good eyes on the ball to secure it.

#9 - He catches it far and wide on the left side of his body after it's tipped. Good eyes.

There are actually six interceptions that are primarily from great ball hawking.

He was known as a ball hawk coming out of school. It's not like it should be hard to believe that the starting FS in one of the best secondaries in football is good.

Expanding his zone? Ball spinning like crazy? Good Eyes? Diving Catch? You know this is the NFL we are talking about. A Diving catch is not hard at all, even on the college level. It sounds like your are making excuses for his ridiculous lucky interceptions. He made ZERO breaks on any of his interceptions.

yeah but versatility can also get you in trouble...see jason allen

i have a tough time getting excited about guys that i perceive as tweeners...not a cb not a safety...in between

i don't have high praise for guys that i rate that way...

i kind of had that rating on sean smith last year...

Versatility is the reason Jason Allen is still in this league. He's dumb as a lamp post and he tends to fall apart under pressure.

Back
Top Bottom