MERGED: Its Over, Rams resign Atogwe | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Its Over, Rams resign Atogwe

you can add malcolm jenkins to that list...he's slow as heck and the saints have moved him to fs...i figured that would happen in not too long

i thought louis delmas played ss in detroit....huh

edit: i think malcolm was being moved to fs if sharper left in free agency so maybe they're waiting on the free safety move with jenkins now...

Malcolm Jenkins is actually above average in speed for a free safety. As I recall he ran something like a 4.50 and that's not "slow as heck". Jairus Byrd at 4.68 is "slow as heck".

Far as I know Delmas played FS for the Lions. And yeah Jenkins was moved to FS while they were still in limbo with Sharper.

My list was purely off last year's action and snap counts.

^^^ yeah but he didn't make many plays on the ball either...

Thats not really true. He had a couple breakups against one of the best tight ends of all time in the Atlanta Game. He was able to do the same against Antonio Gates and the Saints game as well. He is able to anticipate the ball location and where its being caught and effectively slap the ball out.

I didn't really know those were the 40 times of the safeties. Man, if Clemons can put it together mentally and vocally, he can be a special player. 205 pounds, 6 foot, loves to hit and is physical, and would be one of the fastest safeties in the game. Essentially top 2 fastest.

Hooshoops is referring to the fact that Tyrone Culver only had two potential interceptions in 2009. One went through his hands.

Malcolm Jenkins is actually above average in speed for a free safety. As I recall he ran something like a 4.50 and that's not "slow as heck". Jairus Byrd at 4.68 is "slow as heck".

Far as I know Delmas played FS for the Lions. And yeah Jenkins was moved to FS while they were still in limbo with Sharper.

My list was purely off last year's action and snap counts.

i meant slow as heck for a cb...and that 4.5 flat where did you get that??? i could have sworn he was almost if not a 4.6 guy at the combine last year...

Hooshoops is referring to the fact that Tyrone Culver only had two potential interceptions in 2009. One went through his hands.

what i'm really referring to is that for me if you play that many snaps on passing downs you should make some plays on the ball...a few ints...i don't think its too much to ask

but at the same time i didn't study culver to see if it was more a product of the role he was playing in that defense or if he just didn't make plays cause he didn't have the instincts etc to get there...or if the ball for that matter was thrown at him much...

let me go ahead and say something else...i don't think for one second that jairius byrd is gonna play up to the level int's wise he did last year...dudes uber slow and when i reviewed his tape at oregon i believe it was he was like watching a snail move coming out of his breaks back to the ball...

enjoy your great rookie year mr byrd...i don't think you've got a prayer of getting 7 ints i think it was you picked off last year again...

Malcolm Jenkins ran a 4.51/2.62/1.47 at the Combine according to NFL Draft Scout.

That's pretty much what I said. Culver only got his hands on the ball twice. I'm not counting plays where he tomahawked a ball down to prevent it being caught. He had two potential interceptions, he let one slip by him. And I agree, you play a certain number of snaps you should get your hands on the ball a few more times.

But, I will say this.

1. He only played 304 snaps. Darren Sharper, for example, played three times that many snaps. I don't know how many interceptions Darren let slip through his hands but he did have 9 total picks. Same with Nick Collins, I don't know how many slipped through his paws but he got 6 picks in three times as many snaps as Culver. Had Culver snagged that ball that went through his fingers I believe against Carolina...then you start wondering how much impact the snap count had on his potential for making plays on the ball.

2. On the other hand, one does also have to keep in mind that he had 252 plays in pass coverage on those 304 snaps, because his role was in the pass-heavy nickel. So, going back to previous example, Nick Collins had 609 plays in coverage (2.4x) and Darren Sharper had 665 (2.6x). So, IF Culver had snagged that second interception and you insisted on projecting his numbers outward (which is always a questionable activity) the real number of interceptions we're talking about is 5 interceptions, not 6 interceptions.

3. Even so, that suggests he does have SOME potential for making more plays on the ball if he just goes from being a 300 snap guy to being a 1000 snap guy. Stands to reason, no?

4. Since I did review literally every single play of his in order to make a video I can tell you that the answer to your latter question is a little bit of both. The position itself didn't really give him a ton of opportunities to make those plays, nor was he honestly challenged that much. But, at the same time, I saw plenty of opportunities where he could have been reading the quarterback or the play and he wasn't, so there is room for improvement.

let me go ahead and say something else...i don't think for one second that jairius byrd is gonna play up to the level int's wise he did last year...dudes uber slow and when i reviewed his tape at oregon i believe it was he was like watching a snail move coming out of his breaks back to the ball...

enjoy your great rookie year mr byrd...i don't think you've got a prayer of getting 7 ints i think it was you picked off last year again...

He actually had 9 interceptions. Incredible. I think at least 3 or 4 of them were tip-ups. But still. I generally agree he was a lot more liability than people think and there was a reason the Bills insisted on making him just a role player even after he was lighting it up with interceptions. I also agree he's a snail. I had pretty fierce arguments with his supporters about that heading into the draft. It was clear to me on the tape that his 4.68 was not a fluke. It wasn't a bad day. It was just him. There were a lot of people that wanted to make him a corner in Miami's system and I just insisted that would be absolutely tragic. He's a safety at best and probably a nickel safety which is how the Bills used him.

i'm gonna do some research on malcom jenkins...i could have sworn slimm and i were like ugh when we saw his combine #...maybe it was his pro day at ohio st or something but i could have sworn i saw a number that i was like that is a concern...

ck, how do you have these snap #s so handy??? it's impressive but how do you do it??? you must have some serious spreadsheets on dolphins players and the nfl in general...

He actually had 9 interceptions. Incredible. I think at least 3 or 4 of them were tip-ups. But still. I generally agree he was a lot more liability than people think and there was a reason the Bills insisted on making him just a role player even after he was lighting it up with interceptions. I also agree he's a snail. I had pretty fierce arguments with his supporters about that heading into the draft. It was clear to me on the tape that his 4.68 was not a fluke. It wasn't a bad day. It was just him. There were a lot of people that wanted to make him a corner in Miami's system and I just insisted that would be absolutely tragic. He's a safety at best and probably a nickel safety which is how the Bills used him.

honestly...i thought he'd never make it period...i didn't think there was a shot in haiti at cb and i didn't think he'd be a sure enough tackler etc to play safety and with that speed i thought he'd get exposed vs the pass if he did play safety...

i also saw the ball seem to find him an awful lot last year...tips, thrown almost right to him, etc...

Actually he had all 9 of his interceptions off of tip-ups or terrible overthrows/behind the wideout throws.

#1 (Preseason) - Brooks Bollinger off a terribly thrown ball behind his intended wideout on a slant. the wideout sank his hips and created separation on the goal-line , but Bollinger threw it behind him. Ball was tipped up right to Byrd waiting there.

#2 - Mark Sanchez off a deep bomb into double coverage that was hanging for 4-5 seconds and Byrd was just waiting there.

#3 - Vince Young off a MASSIVE overthrow. Young threw it 5 yards beyond his wideout who was running a seam. Byrd was just sitting there.

#4 - Matt Schaub threw it directly to Byrd who was 5-8 yards off the wideout. He literally threw it right to him.

$5 - Matt Cassel threw it into coverage on 4th down and it was tipped up and Byrd was sitting at the right place again.

#6 - Derek Anderson threw a fade to his wideout, but overthrew it by 4-6 yards and too far inside. Byrd was sitting right there.

#7 - Jake Delhomme overthrew the deep dagger by 5-6 yards and Byrd was sitting there again.

#8 - Mark Sanchez overthrew the bullet pass and Braylon Edwards tipped it right to Byrd.

#9 - Matt Schaub threw it way behind his wideout and the wideout tipped it in the air. Byrd was sitting there again.

#10 - Jake Delhomme overthrew the ball by 3-4 yards and it was tipped right to Byrd again.

Jairus Byrd had literally 0 interceptions where he made a break on the ball with a good read for the interception. ALL of his interceptions were tipped balls or terribly overthrown balls. Add to the fact he picked off the worst QBs in the NFL.

Byrd had an EXTREMELY lucky year.

Back
Top Bottom