MERGED: Its Over, Rams resign Atogwe | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Its Over, Rams resign Atogwe

The reason I believe a lot of teams did not show interest. Like I told you guys in the past OJ had major health concerns. Besides an apparent shoulder and hernia injury, it sounds like he was seriously banged up.

You were downplaying every injury he had and was possibly his biggest advocate for signing him here.

You were downplaying every injury he had and was possibly his biggest advocate for signing him here.

I was not downplaying his injuries, yes I wanted him to sign, but I always said he had a shoulder injury and an apparent sports hernia. With that be said, I also said that as bad as I wanted Atogwe, I would also love to see our guys step up.

I'm trying to keep my mouth shut but what's wrong with just taking the hit for backing the wrong horse? Everyone's allowed to be wrong.

I'm trying to keep my mouth shut but what's wrong with just taking the hit for backing the wrong horse? Everyone's allowed to be wrong.

CK I admit I was wrong that Atogwe was coming to Miami, and me being a fan of his play probably had to do with some of my many post. But I was told by various sources that Miami was indeed interested and that it came down to how much they were willing to spend for him.

CK I admit I was wrong that Atogwe was coming to Miami, and me being a fan of his play probably had to do with some of my many post. But I was told by various sources that Miami was indeed interested and that it came down to how much they were willing to spend for him.

Could well have been accurate... but if he was angling for a 5-year contract elsewhere, the FO drew a definite line in the sand to the extent they'd commit to someone turning 29, not 25 or 26 coming off a season-ending injury. For all we know the boys upstairs might well have offered him a competitive 1-2 year contract that got rejected.

As most of us has been saying all along, it was a long shot of him signing here from the start. You guys gotta stop overhyping guys when they become available. Its crazy. It should say something that no team was really interested in him while he was on the market for 2 weeks.

I'll speak for the rest of the board on this one. I agree with you that when a guy is available you always see a post wanting to get him. I understand that part.

But Atogwe was mentioned as a potential fit for the Phins by all sorts of other media outlets. It was different with this guy.

We already spent big bread for Marshall and Dansby . . . we weren't gonna drop the bread for this guy. Were we interested . . . YES, but not at the price that St. Louis gave him. We need one of the youngsters to step up at FS or we are gonna bring a vet in before camp to add to the competition.

I am perfectly fine with that.

Well I'm glad that's over with.

I wanted him in Miami but in the end, due to injuries and price I'm sure the FO did the right thing when assessing the risks/rewards of signing him. I'm hopeful Clemmons and/or Culver are up to the task.

errrrrr. i'm glad the staff thinks that clemons or culver could be the answer at FS - but i'm not sure i agree. clemons showed glimpses last year - but he was still a ways off if you ask me. culver is okay - doesn't do anything great or terrible - solid depth IMO. now i get to worry OLB and FS on D next year. oh joy.

JasonLaCanfora
OJ Atogwe's deal with the Rams worth a max of $32M over 5 years. We will be chatting about it ahead on NFL Total Access.

Makes perfect sense now, no way I wanted us to spend that much. Especially after all the reviews that came out from CK & PFF. Everyone admits Atogwe is good, but not for that much. That type of money needs to be saved for some of our key guys like Henne, Bess & Carpenter.

Makes perfect sense now, no way I wanted us to spend that much. Especially after all the reviews that came out from CK & PFF. Everyone admits Atogwe is good, but not for that much. That type of money needs to be saved for some of our key guys like Henne, Bess & Carpenter.

ha ha...stick to the breaking news bro...if we paid kicker dan carpenter $32 mil over 5 years or any kicker for that matter anything in that stratosphere i would straight revolt...

for real...

Dolphins pass on Atogwe, Clemons needs to step up

A few weeks ago Free Safety OJ Atogwe became an unrestricted free agent, and Miami were supposedly serious players to land his services. Clearly the asking price was too high, and Atogwe ended up resigning with the Rams. That was Miami's last opportunity to acquire a proven starter at the FS position. Clearly Miami is high on Clemons and he needs to prove them right by having a big coming out party in just his second season in the NFL.

Earlier in the Off Season, Miami tried, and failed, to acquire two big time players in Ryan Clark and Antrel Rolle. While they never made a very big push for Rolle, they did make a strong push for Clark. Ultimately Rolle went to NY and Clark resigned with Pittsburgh, (a sucker punch right to the gonads for Jeff Ireland and the rest of the front office). Then Miami had some organized team activities; practices in after which everyone raved about Chris Clemons. The Dolphins then did draft a safety in April, but it was just a 5th round pick in Reshad Jones who, while I like a lot and I think has a bright future in the NFL, is better suited for Strong Safety. Miami passed on several very good prospects in rounds 2 and 3 leaving everybody scratching their heads.

Passing on Atogwe was the icing on the cake for me. Clearly the Dolphins think Clemons is ready to step up to the plate, and I'm excited about having his speed, range, ball skills and no-regard-for-human-life type attitude out in center field.

http://www.phinfever.com/newsite/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=478

Back
Top Bottom