Votes: 35 54.7%

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Joneal7 said:
have him compete with Mcnair for the starting job

i dont understand why anyone would want mcnair, if he stays healthy for all 16 games (which is about a 10% chance) he would still be bottom of the league. no better then lousy frerrote in my mind

When healthy, McNair is no question better than Gus. But like you said, there is like a 10% chance he plays 16 games

b_hjelmeland123 said:
Let him sit for a year.
this is off topic, but you change your mock draft more than anybody I know (and if we get Haggans he'll be a WR/KR)

anyways, it all depends. IF Cutler clearly outperforms Gus/Sage/Cleo/whoever the hell he is competeing with you let him play, but you have to be willing yo accept that the record would take a hit.

In a way, it would be comparable to the Bills situation with Lsman, but it would probably turn out better because Saban>Mularcky, Saban/Mueller>Donahoe/Mularcky in the war room, and are team's overall passion to win>than that of the Bills

Phinja said:
Alot of posters on this site have their heart set on Cutler. Now, IF it does happen, how do you handle his first year?

:sleep: Do you sit him the year, and if so who does he sit behind?

:eek: Do you start him right away, sighting game experiance as the best teacher of football's harsh lessons?

:ko: Do you make him compete in camp for the job against a veteran?

My question is: how would YOU handle Miami's hope for the future?

... :helmet:
.. :helmet:
. :helmet: :dolphins:....... :goof:
.. :helmet:
... :helmet:

Don't draft a QB in day one and go for the skill positions that would help us immediately and wait till 07 to draft your franchise guy.

vt_dolfan said:
Hmmm.....

I would sign the best available FA QB to push Gus Frerotte for the starting job next year. The loser sits and Cutler is our 3rd string QB...I would give him plenty of game time in the pre season though.

Some potential FA Qb's...

Kerry Collins
Jon Kitna
Josh Mcnown...(would liked to see him here)

Wouldnt mind seeing Josh Mcnown...see what he has...at worst Gus starts..at best Josh lights it up and we then have the same problem that the Bolts have this year.....

I'd much prefer to have someone like Volek or Garrard here if we were to go that route. I'd rather have some other franchise eat the learning curve and have a young QB that is ready for game action and just needs to learn the system.

You sit him for maybe for 10-11 games then give him a few starts (depending on the postseason picture) to break him in and smoothen the start to the following season

Aqua4Ever04 said:
I think itd be a good idea to bring in a QB who isnt yet proven but has experiance along with Cutler. A guy like Rivers would be perfect. That way if he fails, we plug in Cutler. If Rivers pans out, you have 2 good QBs which is VERY important in todays NFL...(see Jacksonville Jaguars)

Wow! Your not asking for much. Do you realize what we'd have to give up for Rivers? Our 1st this year on Cutler and at the very least next year's 1st and probably a late round pick this year for Rivers?

djfresh47 said:
I think that Ramsey and Harrington were placed in bad situations, and had to go through a coaching change which definately hurt them. Harrington has had time and has all the talent in the world, like Carr, but don't seem to have the intangible "it," which has made them likely to be better suited as backups. I think Saban has job security so possibly taking a step back next season in starting a rookie in order to go two steps forward the following year would be a better option. Alex Smith is being written off by alot of people on this site as being a "bust," after his rookie year, but young Qb's are gonna make mistakes, and the teams that let them work through them like the Giants and the Bengals did with Palmer/Manning, are atleast contenders this year. I am very familiar with the Bills, and often bring them up, and see what they did with Losman and it's an absolute joke, which is what I don't wanna see happen with the Phins and a young Qb.

Well, there you go.

you can't throw a blanket statement over all rookie QBs in "sit em" or "throw him to the wolves." there are plenty of examples of both kinds turning out to be great, and others turning out bad. carson palmer didn't take a snap his entire rookie season, he's looking allright. tom brady never saw the ball his rookie season either (for different reasons obviously, but it's still the same). peyton manning has started every single game in his career, and he's doing okay. same with elway. but, ryan leaf started from day 1 and ended up not so good. losman isn't looking good after a year of sitting

you have to look at the team and the situation. miami is poised to make a run at the division next year, and right now things are going well with frerotte. throw in the fact that cutler is still pretty raw as a pro-style passer, and you almost HAVE to sit him. i acn envision it perfectly. a video of the dolphins' training camp gets out where saban is yelling at cutler and calling him names. the was his mechanics are and inconsistencies with throwing the ball, i see saban getting frustrated with him pretty early. he'll be the third string QB to start the season, and the INSTANT frerotte throws a pick, finheaven will be cluttered with "put in cutler!" threads. can't wait

Caps said:
Brady Quinn will be the 1st QB taken in 07, if he doesn't declare this year. So unless we totally suck it up next year, which doesn't look likely at the moment, we won't even be close to having a shot at him.

From "earned" draft slot, we all hope not.

However, keep in mind the possibility of trading up to get him, if we dont have the QB on the roster we want that is.

Jay Cutler Question

Sorry for ANOTHER Cutler/QB thread, but I have a question I haven't seen asked:

Are we even INTERESTED in him?

I remember there were articles before about how we like Quinn, or about how we saw something in Printers etc etc etc, but I haven't seen anything on us scouting/being interested in Cutler. You'd think there would be SOMETHING if we were since Quinn got a writeup and he's not even coming out.

i really don't know but that is a good question i think we won't draft a qb in the first round though because our new GM has a track history of drafting good qbs in the later rounds, if we don't do that look for a trade or Free Agent signing. on draftin in the later rounds i think we would be interseted in Hagans of UV, Smith of Missouri, and Shockley of georgia

I think his name was in that article. Plus Saban has the inside track on him from being in the SEC, so he may not want others to know of the team's interest. But I think I remember seeing in that article.

we'll probably never know if they're interested in him unless they draft him. there will be smokescreens and reports if things come draft time, like every year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom