Merged: Jay Cutler II | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Jay Cutler II

SpeedRush99 said:
Pinacle? :lol: So you think Young will be successful in the NFL?

No, he'll be a bum of QB that, although being one of the best college players in years, will be a total flop in the NFL and will be thoroughly surpassed by Jay Cutler on the next level.

daniel3 said:
No, he'll be a bum of QB that, although being one of the best college players in years, will be a total flop in the NFL and will be thoroughly surpassed by Jay Cutler on the next level.

Dripping with sarcasm I see. Although I completely agree with that statment. ;)

SabanEra84 said:
i know i may get bashed for this because everyone knows about saban's philosophy about draft picks. but if he is set on snagging cutler in the first round, why doesnt he do what the bills did a few years ago. swap first round picks and offer next years first to get cutler. THATS ONLLY IF HE BELIEVES CUTLER IS THE ONLY CHOICE.

thoughts on that, i thought it was an idea so RW stays on the roster and theirs good incentive to trade picks.

also i was impressed witih DJ Shockley and am wondering if Saban is considering Shockley with either the 2nd rd pick or a 3rd.

i do not think croyle will be a good fit in the offense, plus of his injury woes. where shockley was starter for just a season and is fresh....aka ronnie brown.

Shockley will never start in the NFL.

I may be wrong, but I don't think you'll see Saban trade away 2 first rounders for one player the Dumbstedt/Spielman did, I could see throwing Ricky or a later pick in to move up for Cutler though.

I would do that if Cutler is deemed worthy by Saban and Mueller. Think about it, this draft is very good, next year's may not be even close. If we improve like most people feel we will we won't have a very high pick next year anyways. So essentially our second this year could be more valuable, or at least as valuable as a 1st next year. I personally think Cutler is well worth it and this team needs a franchise QB more than anything, so why not sacrifice a bit to bring in a player that is going to turn our offense into a dominant one for a long time with the talent around him. If Saban is really high on Croyle and thinks he will be there at our pick in round 2 then I would be content with that, but we need to do everything in our power to get a franchise QB.

sports24/7 said:
I would do that if Cutler is deemed worthy by Saban and Mueller. Think about it, this draft is very good, next year's may not be even close. If we improve like most people feel we will we won't have a very high pick next year anyways. So essentially our second this year could be more valuable, or at least as valuable as a 1st next year. I personally think Cutler is well worth it and this team needs a franchise QB more than anything, so why not sacrifice a bit to bring in a player that is going to turn our offense into a dominant one for a long time with the talent around him. If Saban is really high on Croyle and thinks he will be there at our pick in round 2 then I would be content with that, but we need to do everything in our power to get a franchise QB.

Extremely good points. Face it we're looking at pick in the 20s next year most likely, hopefully late 20s. Next years QB class isn't nearly as deep. We're long overdue for our franchise QB.

Beware: Senior Bowl Coverage Biased

Mike Mayock has some significant bias in regards to Jay Cutler. He is commenting on Cutler with his heart, not his head. Lets all be aware of that.

Mayock constantly touts Cutler's arm strength and repeatedly downplays the importance of his sporatic footwork, mechanics and accuracy. My guess it that the scouts will not be so forgiving.

Don't get me wrong, Cutler has some serious physical skills. No doubt about it. But, physical skills don't win games. Accuracy, poise, leadership and decision making do.

Can Cutler theoretically go top ten? Yeah, if he proves he is a leader who is coachable and willing to improve. However, given his on field demeanor and obvious unwillingness to improve his footwork as a senior, that might not be as likely as Mike Mayock and NFL network want us to believe.

We have a long ways to go, but, it is not entirely out of the question that Cutler slips to Miami and possibly beyond on draft day.

Here's what Pat Kirwan has to say about Cutler from observing him at the Senior Bowl-

"Quarterback Jay Cutler (Vanderbilt) has some very good skills and the potential to be a first-round pick for some teams, while one GM told me he has a second-round grade on his board. I tend to think that after watching the ball come out of his hand with very good velocity and accuracy that he will be a first-round selection. One QB coach said his feet and drops lack consistency and could damage his draft value. From what I witnessed while he was being coached by Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow, Jay has a chance to be a very good pro and might pass Vince Young on some draft boards."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9188685

Sofa_King_Drunk said:
Here's what Pat Kirwan has to say about Cutler from observing him at the Senior Bowl-

"Quarterback Jay Cutler (Vanderbilt) has some very good skills and the potential to be a first-round pick for some teams, while one GM told me he has a second-round grade on his board. I tend to think that after watching the ball come out of his hand with very good velocity and accuracy that he will be a first-round selection. One QB coach said his feet and drops lack consistency and could damage his draft value. From what I witnessed while he was being coached by Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow, Jay has a chance to be a very good pro and might pass Vince Young on some draft boards."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9188685

I know there has been a recent surge of interest in Cutler and Tennessee has been named many times as being a potential suitor.... but seeing some of the "supporting evidence"... could it be that Tennessee's hat is being thrown in the circle simply for this reason.

I know some Senior Bowl coaches have an inside insight on players and sometimes become enamored with a player because of it. But until the draft is closer, I'll be more apt to second guess any rumors about "this team interested in this this kid". Reporters have to spark contraversy just to generate readers....

Some kids rise and fall on draft boards leading up to the draft.... I'd say we are looking into the Omar Jacobs', DJ Shockley's and Jay Cutler's of the world to find who we are going to draft.

NathanHunt said:
I know there has been a recent surge of interest in Cutler and Tennessee has been named many times as being a potential suitor.... but seeing some of the "supporting evidence"... could it be that Tennessee's hat is being thrown in the circle simply for this reason.

I know some Senior Bowl coaches have an inside insight on players and sometimes become enamored with a player because of it. But until the draft is closer, I'll be more apt to second guess any rumors about "this team interested in this this kid". Reporters have to spark contraversy just to generate readers....

Some kids rise and fall on draft boards leading up to the draft.... I'd say we are looking into the Omar Jacobs', DJ Shockley's and Jay Cutler's of the world to find who we are going to draft.

i could see cutler going top ten and vince young suddenly doing a free fall. If Vince Young is available @ 16 do we do it? He won't start the first year and can we fix his mechanics?

HelloMotto said:
i could see cutler going top ten and vince young suddenly doing a free fall. If Vince Young is available @ 16 do we do it? He won't start the first year and can we fix his mechanics?

No way in hell Young falls to 16..and yeh..if he did....you draft him based on potential alone. He wont fall out of the top 4 or 5.

SpeedRush99 said:
If anyone falls it will be Leinart.

No I believe it'll be Young if there are questions about his release and mechanics. If McNair leaves Tenn. and comes here then that's a perfect situation.

did you watch the national title game? no way Vince falls before Lienart

First of all, if he is biased he logically has something to gain from it. Is this guy Jay Cutlers mom? Is he making money off of him being drafted? Who cares if a single analyst has an opinion that is different from yours? That's going to have it, and this is going to be a long offseason if we're going to fill the General forum with contrary opinions to every draft picks evaluation.

Second of all, you're breaking two unwritten rules... Dont make misleading titles, and post threads in the appropriate forums.

Ghetti13 said:
Mike Mayock has some significant bias in regards to Jay Cutler. He is commenting on Cutler with his heart, not his head. Lets all be aware of that.

Mayock constantly touts Cutler's arm strength and repeatedly downplays the importance of his sporatic footwork, mechanics and accuracy. My guess it that the scouts will not be so forgiving.

Don't get me wrong, Cutler has some serious physical skills. No doubt about it. But, physical skills don't win games. Accuracy, poise, leadership and decision making do.

Can Cutler theoretically go top ten? Yeah, if he proves he is a leader who is coachable and willing to improve. However, given his on field demeanor and obvious unwillingness to improve his footwork as a senior, that might not be as likely as Mike Mayock and NFL network want us to believe.

We have a long ways to go, but, it is not entirely out of the question that Cutler slips to Miami and possibly beyond on draft day.

Yeah, it does sound like he's getting a kick back from Cutlers agent, but its not all unwarranted. The guy is showing much better than most expected him to show. Cutler will go in the top ten unless he falls flat on his face on Sunday and in his other workouts. QB is the premier position in the NFL... Leadership can't be measured by us the fans or media, only by his teammates and coaches. While that's an intangible that can't really be measured, it's also not what scouts are really looking the hardest at right now. That aspect of the guys game has been shown over the course of his career. As it happens, Cutler was head and shoulders the best player on his team and took them on his shoulders most games. But what the scouts will get from this game/practices is "Is his arm strong enough ?? Can he make the out throws ?? How accurate is he ?? At any rate, you could be right about him slipping, but not likely....afterall some guy in 1983 dropped much further than anyone expected...

Back
Top Bottom