MERGED: Official World Cup thread: Talk about the tournament here | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Official World Cup thread: Talk about the tournament here

Count me among the ones that doesn't care about the World Cup. I've just never seen the appeal of soccer.

I like it since it never stops. The clock just keeps going- no timeouts, no commercials. However, I don't follow the MLS or anything, just the big tournaments: world cup, womens world cup, olympics. I think that's it. Once in a while I'll watch a random match.

I will root for the U.S. and My fave team Germany, but with a coach like bob bradley we'll be lucky to even make it past the preliminary rounds

Big blow for Germany....Ballack is done!

Not as big as you would think. The Germans have 2 of the top young talented midfielders making their debut in Ozil and Kroos, and they still have Klose and Podelski up front and both of those guys show up in the big tournaments. A USA-Germany match in the round of 16 is possible if the US finishes 2nd and Germany finishes first. The U.S. couldn't ask for a better World Cup with a match against England, a 2nd round match against a team like Germany. Should do wonders for this sport in the US.

well tonight the US has a friendly against the Czechs. We all know Jozy is one of our strikers, but the rest is wide open. People want to say Brian Ching is a lock, but I don't see it yet. He's fallen out of favor during qualifying and is not suited for the international game. Edson Buddle will probably make the team because of how he's been scoring. Eddie Johnson and Hercules Gomez are supposedly fighting for the speedster role. If it was up to me, our forwards would be Jozy, Buddle, Gomez, and Robbie Findley.

In fact, this would be my final roster
Gk: Howard, Hahnemann, Guzan

Def: Spector,Bocanegra, Onyewu,Cherundulo,Marshall,Bornstein, Pearce

Mid: Donovan, Beasley, Bedoya, Holden, Feilhaber, Torres, Clark, Edu,Dempsey

For: Altidore, Gomez, Findley, Buddle

Not having Charlie Davies hurts, and we need our backline to get healthy (Gooch hasn't played since October, Boca just had sports hernia surgery, Marshall has an eye injury, and DeMerrit has an ab injury). But we have a lot of depth in the midfield, especially with Edu healthy. Bedoya has also been impressive.

We just need to find scoring. Donovan and Demspey will get their stuff. Jozy still is better with people feeding him, but has gotten better creating while at Hull. I think this US team could make a nice run if the D is healthy, but we need to find more scoring

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to be so negative, but even if the U.S. wins a World Cup, soccer will not be a very popular sport in this country. It is simply a cultural thing. It is refreshing though, that albeit a minority, the US soccer team does have the support of very committed fans. I would love for my Argentina to win another cup, but would be thrilled if the U.S. takes it to the next level. Vamos Argentina!...Go go USA!!!.

im starting to catch the soccer bug. i cant wait for this game and cup my buddy and i are going to do some grilling and pound some beers getting ready for the game saturday. i think im drawn to the fact that we are genuine underdogs in this sport.

Americans complain that an action packed non stop sport like soccer is boring, yet they watch or play golf which is the sports equivalent to watching paint dry, or baseball which is so slow paced that you can go to the bathroom and a go for a drink and you probably still missed nothing. I don't get it!..oh well

Picked up my U.S.A. shirt the other day. Wearing it to the office tomorrow and again on Saturday. Down with England! Ha, we are predicted to make it out of our group. Much further, not sure. A lot of people are picking Spain to take it all now. Tomorrow it starts.

Well since the Yanks take on the Redcoats on Saturday, thought I'd post my starting lineup for team USA. Actually, it's who I think should start, and who I think Bradley will start.

Goalie
This one is obvious. Timmy Howard is arguably the best keeper in the world. He reads the game great, and has the ability to make any save. Hopefully he doesn't get hurt cause Brad Guzan is not ready for the big time, and Marcus Hannahan doesn't have much international experience either despite a great season in the EPL
Who I want: Tim Howard
Who I think Tim Howard

Defense
If Oguchi Onyewu was healthy, he'd give England's front line fits. Sadly, Gooch is not really all that ready, but will have to start because Goodson and DeMerrit are both gamblers in contrast to Gooch. Carlos Bocanegra is our captain, and looks to be in good form coming off sports hernia surgery. With Boca and Gooch both set in stone, how bout the other 2 spots? Jay DeMerrit and Jonathan Spector had a great Confederation Cup last year, but due to injury (DeMerrit) and poor form (Spector) both have seen them fighting for their jobs. Stevie Cherundolo has looked good in his past few games, but DeMerrit and Goodson are tough. I'd probably rather see Goodson because of the ability to add to the offense.
Who I want Carlos Bocanegra, Oguchi Onyewu, Clarence Goodson, Stevie Cherundolo
Who I think Carlos Bocanegra, Oguchi Onyewu, Jay DeMerrit, Stevie Cherundolo

Midfield
In My opinion, three spots are locked up. Landon Dovovan, Clint Dempsey, and Michael Bradley are all locks to start. Bradley gets a little too much flack IMO because his dad is the coach, but Baby Bradley has shown he can produce, he just needs to control his temper. Stuart Holden has the talent to start, but Bradley prefers using him outside, so he'll more than likely be a late sub, or start if Dempsey is moved up top. Benny Felheber is another candidate as he adds another playmaker to the midfield. However, the big problem with Benny is he doesn't get back on defense. Ricardo Clark has been the starter, and is another player that gets a lot of flack; a lot of which is undeserved. While he isn't playing at his Confederation Cup level, he's a decent defender that adds a strong shot. IMO however, that skill is best served off the bench. Jose Torres has won a lot of supporters, and his runs off the ball do open up passing lanes. My problem against England however is that he is too small for the physical team. I'd love to see Maurice Edu start since IMO he is our best defensive mid, and does have offensive potential, but I think Rico gets the nod.
Who I want Landon Donovan, Michael Bradley, Maurice Edu, Clint Dempsey
Who I think Landon Donovan, Michael Bradley, Ricardo Clark, Clint Dempsey

Forwards
If Jozy is ready, he'll for sure be one striker. While Jozy didn't score at Hull City, he did become a better holder, and playmaker from his time there. Jozy has also been a top notch player while playing for the Yanks. The other spot is a battle between Hercules Gomez, Robbie Findley, and Edson Buddle. I'd rule Gomez out personally. He rejuvenated his career with Puebla as a super sub. In his 2 matches for the US, he scored coming off the bench. I don't think his skill set translates well to being a starter. At the same time, Edson Buddle doesn't translate well to being a bench player which is why I'd start him. Plus, he's got a hot foot. I do think you can make a case for Robbie Findley though. While he couldn't buy a basket against the Soccoroos, his speed and hustle sucked in defenders leading to scoring chances, and his pressure led to Buddle's first goal.
Who I want Jozy Altidore, Edson Buddle
Who I think Jozy Altidore, Robbie Findley

If Jozy can't go, it will be Buddle and Findley.

Also, from what I hear, Baby Bradley has a lot of bigger European Clubs monitoring him during the World Cup. So he may or may not be returning to the Bundesliga after the Cup.

so if drogba plays, im taking ivory coast as my dark horse.

well to be fair, even without Drogba Ivory Coast has a very good roster with the Touré brothers, Dindane, Kalou, Keïta among some others. Portugal gets a lot of love because of Cristiano Ronaldo, but Ronaldo hasn't played well since becoming team captain, and nobody else has been playing that great. if Drogba plays IMO they win the group, yes even ahead of Brazil (Drogba is just on fire right now)

Back
Top Bottom