MERGED: Official World Cup thread: Talk about the tournament here | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Official World Cup thread: Talk about the tournament here

Wow, that Algeria vs. USA game had me on the edge of my seat practically the whole game. It was a great game. Landon Donovan pulled it off for the USA in a last minute goal of added time, otherwise USA would have been eliminated.

Nice Job USA, way too pull it off.

VAMOS MEXICO!!!!!

great game I was out for wings with my friends and I jumped so I in the air when LD scored. And to think, we had SO MANY chances all game could've easily been 4-0 instead of one.

If we play our game like we did most of today, we can play with almost anybody. Prolly not Brazil, Argentina, or Spain (which will be more counter attacked based if we played them), but most other teams.

Great job USA!!!....pulled it off at the end, and they might just avoid playing Germany in the next round. Argentina gets Mexico again in the round of 16....let's see if we can send them packing again as we did back in 06.....Vamos Argentina Carajo!

They USA vs Algeria game had me on the edge of my seat the entire game. Great game and I'm glad they pulled it out at the end so they are in the knockout stages.

Just now got home, and I'm pretty ****ed up. So...WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy ****!

Oh...Suck it officials, you douchey mc****heads.

"I thought this was America! Huh?! Isn't this America?"

clear.gif

Just like that Italy is eliminated....there will be a new Champ this World Cup!. Wow!

Yea, I'm SHOCKED by the Italy result. Yea they are washed up, they aren't the 2006 team, their keeper has been bruised up . . . but these guys are supposed to advance in a group with just Paraguay, New Zealand and Slovakia. This IMO is much more dissappointing than France not making it (I didn't have them advancing either). . . I mean, they had a pretty tough group with Mexico, Uruaguay and the home team, who showed they could play last summer.

As for the U.S. . . what can you say, typical to say the least. The refs tried to screw us twice, and we still overcame the BS to WIN the group. The U.S. can't be on that give up a goal early against Ghana tip . . . Ghana is going to pressure early, and we need to be up to the task. They are vulnerable to the fast breaks, so I'm thinking Findley will be back and his speed wil be vital. I wonder if we go back to Gooch this game?

The U.S. has a decent draw for advancing. If they beat Ghana, they get the Uraguay/S. Korea winner (no offense to either team, but England has Germany, followed by potentially Argentina, and then maybe Spain . . . murderer's row) before facing the Dutch/Brazil potential match in the semifinal round.

All of this is just means nothing, as Ghana has plenty of ability to eliminate us on Saturday. But on paper, that Group win looks like a great thing as far as picking your route to advance.

what does Fabio Cannavaro of Italy and Tim Tebow of the Gaytors have in common? They both cry like little girls after losing a man's game.

Shocked by Italy's loss. I know Lippi faced a lot of questions because he took A LOT of guys who were old, battling injuries, coming off a poor year for the Club (most of the Juventus guys), or a combination of the 3. He went back to the reliables, but they were just too old. Hell the Italian league is getting so good now because of the internationals they bring in (just like the EPL).

With Italy and Serbia eliminated, must be interesting for Guissippi Rossi and Nevon Subotic (both of whom were eligible to play for the US, and both are guys we could use). I have no ill will towards Subotic, who was born in Bosnia and lived in Germany more than the US. Yes our youth system trained him, but Serbia invited him before either the US or Germany did (he was fairly small, but has grown into his body now). But with Gooch's health, it would've been nice to have him. Rossi... well, born in raised in America with an Italian dad or who wants you to play for Italy can be hard, but comments like "Off the field I'm American, but on it I'm an Italian" will rub people the wrong way. Didn't make the team, probably should've though, but it's harder to like him than it is Subotic.

As for the USA vs Ghana. This is not the same US team that lost to Ghana. Yes, Gooch got a bad foul called on him that led to a PK, but from what I remember, the US didn't deserve to win that game, or at all that WC. Arena really did what Lippi did this year; went with a lot of older players that shouldn't have been on the team. That being said, Ghana's style of play could give our defense troubles. One thing in our favor is their only goals so far have come off pks.

As for the U.S. . . what can you say, typical to say the least. The refs tried to screw us twice, and we still overcame the BS to WIN the group. The U.S. can't be on that give up a goal early against Ghana tip . . . Ghana is going to pressure early, and we need to be up to the task. They are vulnerable to the fast breaks, so I'm thinking Findley will be back and his speed wil be vital. I wonder if we go back to Gooch this game?

The U.S. has a decent draw for advancing. If they beat Ghana, they get the Uraguay/S. Korea winner (no offense to either team, but England has Germany, followed by potentially Argentina, and then maybe Spain . . . murderer's row) before facing the Dutch/Brazil potential match in the semifinal round.

All of this is just means nothing, as Ghana has plenty of ability to eliminate us on Saturday. But on paper, that Group win looks like a great thing as far as picking your route to advance.

Agree on the draw we got. Definitely it's the technically "easier" part of the draw up to semis.
Despite being in the easier draw... anyone can still loose or win against anyone..

Also agree on Italy being more of a shocker than France, because France has had their ups and downs before, so it wasn't such a surprise... IMO the lack of young talented Italian players was really important... added to not having Totti or Del Piero on the squad...
Remember that even though Inter won the Scudetto + Copa Italia + Champions League... there was not a single Italian player on starting the team...

Back
Top Bottom