Merged: Omar Jacobs | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Omar Jacobs

SpeedRush99 said:
And there opinion is?

Well the NFL right now says he is a 4th round pick grade pre workouts, which obviously means the powers of the leauge believe that he is a player worth being drafted fairly high. Somehow there are people that believe he is the next timmy chang, and dosn't deserve to be drafted or discussed.

saves said:
Well the NFL right now says he is a 4th round pick grade pre workouts, which obviously means the powers of the leauge believe that he is a player worth being drafted fairly high. Somehow there are people that believe he is the next timmy chang, and dosn't deserve to be drafted or discussed.

I'd say thats a fair grade as of now. I definitely don't see the Chang comparisons. I'm sure he'll be drafted but he does need quite a bit of polishing.

I think Omar maybe should stayed in school. 4th round? Come on Omar! Go back to school and make a darkhorse Heisman push!!

Stacks said:
I think Omar maybe should stayed in school. 4th round? Come on Omar! Go back to school and make a darkhorse Heisman push!!

With whom? Seniors caught 20 of the school's 29 passing TDs and ran for 15 of the school's 19 rushing TDs (Jacobs also ran for one). These same players and 2004's outgoing seniors caught all 41 of his TD passes last year and ran for 17 of the school's 23 rushing TDs (Jacobs had 4, and I don't see the players responsible for the other two on this year's roster).

There's nothing left to which to go back.

Stacks said:

I can't totally disagree with you there. But he IS losing his two best recievers and two best RB's, and there is also a young, highly recruited QB nipping at his heels. I'm sure it was a had decision, but the guy has been a class at during his tenure and I'm sure it will turn out to be the right decision. Here is a transcript of his press conference is anyone cares to check it out. http://bgsufalcons.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010606aae.html

Jacobs-Pros and Cons

I have had the privilege of being able to see one of the most effective college passers in recent times first hand these past two years. No one has ever thrown as many TD’s as he did in the 2004 season while throwing that few INT’s. He has the size (6’4 225), a strong, accurate arm, and has shown the ability to get the ball to the open man while avoiding turn-overs (67TD’s-11INT’s). In addition to that he has decent speed and the athletic ability to avoid being hit, and has proven to be an effective runner when need be. Had he continued his sophomore success to his junior season, he would have been a first round lock, but a disappointing season that included injury to his non-throwing shoulder, a team breakdown on national television, and personal issues, have left many with an negative opinion of him that overshadows one of the greatest seasons ever by a quarterback in college. While his game is not without flaws, the strengths he has leads me to believe that he could be a definite bargain in the third round or later, and he could validly be a player to fit in this system.

Pros:
-He has the size to stand tall and a frame that could add a lot more weight in the future.

-He has an NFL caliber arm. Has exhibited the ability to make all types of throws. He throws intermediate routes with velocity and has improved his deep ball immensely. He also has a very quick release and can “thread the needleâ€Â.

-Has shown good pocket awareness. Can effectively scramble outside the pocket and buy himself time. When he is pressured he does not try to force a play, instead throwing the ball away. He takes pride in not committing turnovers. He exhibits a lot of composure in this aspect of play. I would consider this his greatest asset.

-Can carry the ball well. He has above average speed for a quarterback and can pick up tough yards by running. He has been able to effectively run the option.

-He goes through his progressions well. He looks from primary target to his secondary target and so on in an almost mechanical fashion.

-Puts the ball in a spot so his receiver can make plays. He trusts his receivers on the field and does not hesitate to let one of his guys go up and get it. I think this is a quality that could translate well into an offense similar to ours. He will not think twice about giving Chambers the chance to make that back of the endzone catch, and it has proven to be one of his biggest weapons.

Cons:
-Reluctant to run the ball. Many situations have happened where everyone was covered downfield and Omar rolls out and does not run for the 1st, preferring to wait for a receiver to get separation. In many occasions he has been able to find an open receiver, but there have been many where he has not and a punt ensued. He needs to learn to just tuck the ball and take the easy 1st down, as moving the chain doesn’t always have to be pretty.

-Leadership abilities are suspect. He has a quiet personality and it shows on the field. He is not a rah rah type of player, rather one that wants to go out and take care of business. I would like to see him be more assertive vocally, but in his defense his players have still rallied around him as their leader in college, so he must be doing something right.

-Of course, his mechanics and footwork are one of his biggest knocks. I’m not at all worried about his delivery; it is lighting fast, comes out high because of his height, and gets the ball where it needs to be. I can’t recall many of his passes being knocked down at the line. He does need to work on his footwork because he has a tendency to throw the ball unbalanced when under pressure.

- He plays in a QB friendly offense. He was able to line up in shotgun formation and the offensive coordinator would signal in the play from the sideline after the defense was set. He has played under center some, but the great majority of snaps came from shotgun. As for the coordinators signaling in the plays, I do not know if Omar could handle calling the plays on his own or not, but the offense has always been run this way under the current coaching staff (not the best mind you), and it is not fair to assume that he isn’t intelligent enough to handle audibles and such on his own. But If I’m a GM I take a good look at his ability to do this.

-Tends to throw crossing routes high. On deep ins and similar routes he has a tendency to make his receivers extend for the ball. Always cacheable passes, but it is something that I always notice. He also tends to throw the ball right into the receivers body rather than leading him, which sometimes is a good thing and sometimes it decreases the chances of a good run after the catch.

- Hes from Florida, but was a BILLS FAN growing up

I also don’t believe his TD numbers are as inflated as some may believe. They don’t throw the ball in the red zone as much as many believe, and actually have a pretty balanced spread offense. His best RB had over 1000 yards and 15 rushing TD’s in his record setting 2004 year, and he had split carries with a few others.

I don’t think at all that Jacobs is a lock for success in the NFL. I do believe he has all the physical talents that NFL scouts work for and that is the main thing that sets him apart from other high number spread offense QB’s that couldn’t succeed in the pro game. If our FO determines that he has the intelligence and instincts to work with and develop, he can be a star. He is a humble guy with a strong drive to be the best. How do I know this? I spent last year having him be a common sight directly across the hall, playing Madden with his friend.

If anyone who hasn’t seen him play much has any questions about things I’ve noticed feel free to ask. If there are negatives about his game you noticed bring those up too, I’m sure there’s some I missed. But for all the quick and unsupported replies, please save them for another thread. I spent some time here trying to be as un-biased as possible about the one prospect I know more about than anyone else in this draft. I know most of you are level headed, intelligent posters that enjoy some good football debate/talk, so I don't think I should have to worry much. Thanks.

Here is his radio press conference

www.bgrso.org

An older review from ESPN insider

I can't quite agree with it all, but its mostly positive.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/position?draftyear=2006&univLogin02=stateChanged

Omar Jacobs
QB | (6'3", 224) | BOWLING GREEN

Scouts Grade: 90

Strengths: Possesses ideal NFL measurables. He has great size. Is tall, well-built, long arms and big hands. He has good arm strength. He shows good touch and the ability to change velocities. He throws catchable passes underneath and has a feel for leading his receivers. Extremely accurate in short-to-intermediate range. Lacks vertical passing experience but has the arm to make all the NFL throws. Can drive the ball downfield. Shows good zip on the deep out route and gets adequate R.P.M.'s on his downfield throws. He's an excellent athlete. Has quick feet and can get set quickly. Shows a good pocket presence and buys a lot of second-chance opportunities with his athleticism. He is a threat to take off and run. Has above average speed and some elusiveness to make defenders miss in space. A confident player that will bounce back from mistakes.

Weaknesses: Displays mechanical issues. Is unpolished. Does not possess great experience throwing the deep ball and his timing must improve in that area. Lacks ideal patience in the pocket at times and will take off running too early. Plays in a simplified offense with a simplified passing scheme. Most of his throws are underneath. He will have a steeper learning curve in terms of making reads and seeing the entire field as an NFL quarterback.

Overall: Played sparingly as a backup to Josh Harris (Browns) in 2003. Took over as a fulltime starter as a sophomore in 2004, when he threw for 4,002 yards and rushed for 300 more. He completed 66.9-percent of his 462 passing attempts and threw 46 TD passes compared to just four INT's on the season. Jacobs is a junior in 2005 and has not indicated what his intentions are regarding his NFL future. Jacobs has all the physical tools to develop into a starting quarterback at the NFL level. He has great size, as well as good arm strength and mobility. He is an accurate short-to-intermediate passer and has developed into a solid decision-maker. Jacobs will, however, need a lot of work in order to polish his game for the next level. His release point is too low and his consistency as a deep-ball passer needs to improve. He also comes from a pass-friendly, shotgun-oriented offensive scheme, which means he could require more developmental time than other quarterback prospects with similar skill sets. As it stands right now, Jacobs is considered a potential first round prospect should he choose to enter the 2006 draft.

hey saves the thing i want to know is he was an early first round pick early on in the season can he creep back into the first in your opinion....because if we dont go cutler in the first i would definately want to take a look at this guy in a MIami Uni if he can be got in the 3rd round

I wouldnt mind taking this guy in the 3rd/4th rounds at all... I have always liked this kid, and while he does have some negatives (mainly mechanics)... he is still a talented player with great size, and worth taking a chance on around the 3rd/4th...

PhinSoldia said:
hey saves the thing i want to know is he was an early first round pick early on in the season can he creep back into the first in your opinion....because if we dont go cutler in the first i would definately want to take a look at this guy in a MIami Uni if he can be got in the 3rd round

na... he wont sneek into the 1st. He didnt have a great season, and was also injured. With an outstanding combine though, he might be able to sneek into the lower 2nd...

PhinSoldia said:

I don't think so. He won't get a chance to play at the Senior Bowl or in any other game situations, and is banking on his workouts to showcase his athletic ability. I personally think the 3rd round is where he will go unless something drastic happens, and he would be of good value there. It is ashame the team had the year it did, they were getting hype as BCS busters and Omar as a darkhorse Heisman canidate. The Boise State game was really the dagger in those aspects.
If Cutler really asserts himself as the real deal during the senior bowl and combine, and is there when we pick in round 1, I would be all about drafting him.

I know he was rated really high last year and a lot of people projected him to be in the first round this year but it seems hes fallen off a bit. I understand that but with that said do you see any team still taking him in the first round. I would want to take a third on him and use him as a 1 to 2 year project. My biggest question on him is the playcalling and the shotgun formation do you think it would take him long to adjust so he is familiar playing under centre and he can call his own plays?

wazzy said:
I know he was rated really high last year and a lot of people projected him to be in the first round this year but it seems hes fallen off a bit. I understand that but with that said do you see any team still taking him in the first round. I would want to take a third on him and use him as a 1 to 2 year project. My biggest question on him is the playcalling and the shotgun formation do you think it would take him long to adjust so he is familiar playing under centre and he can call his own plays?

Gus Calls his own Plays?

Back
Top Bottom