Merged: Quinn falls to the Dolphins at #9? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Quinn falls to the Dolphins at #9?

ADDiKT

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
::Taken from Mel Kiper's page on ESPN Insider 02/06/07::

"In my latest first-round projection, I have underclassmen making up half of the top 32 picks, including 12 of the first 20 spots on the board.

I still have LSU junior QB JaMarcus Russell going with the first overall pick to Oakland. However, the biggest buzz could center around Oklahoma junior RB Adrian Peterson (6-1½, 223 pounds). His workout numbers at the NFL combine should look something like this: 4.37 in the 40-yard dash; 38-inch vertical leap; and eight percent body fat. I have Peterson going to Cleveland, which will have either the third or fourth pick, depending on a coin flip tiebreaker with Tampa Bay; but there also could be several teams interested in trading up to get Peterson.

If Peterson does go to Cleveland, Notre Dame QB Brady Quinn could slide to the Dolphins with the ninth pick. The reason Quinn would fall to Miami? Teams picking after Cleveland (possibly Tampa Bay, Arizona, Washington, Minnesota and Houston) don't need a quarterback. You could make a case for the Texans or Vikings to draft Quinn, but I don't expect that to happen. "

I hope not because I personally think that Quinn is highly overrated and hasnt won a big game in his career. He struggled early and didnt get the hype untill Weiss came on and even then didnt impress me too much against high grade opponents

I hope not because I personally think that Quinn is highly overrated and hasnt won a big game in his career. He struggled early and didnt get the hype untill Weiss came on and even then didnt impress me too much against high grade opponents

He's better than what we have now.

Maybe so. But the same was said about Peyton Manning.

I really don't think the Fins would/should draft him but I think the we would get tons of interest to trade the pick. That being said, I still think he will be gone by number 9.

I think it's totally possible. I've been saying all along that it will happen, I'm just not sure if we'll pick him. We'll have to wait (seems like forever) and see.

It would be great to get a franchise QB, then let jim sit to learn at nlf speed for a 1/2 a year or 2. if we still struggle next year have another top ten pick we can get the franchise LT we need

How can you judge a college QB on his winning or not winning the big game in his career? That's sort of like saying that Marino isn't one of the best QBs ever because he didn't win the superbowl. Football remains a team game on every level, so it doesn't really matter whether or not "1" player happens to be on a team that wins something significant. What we should be judging Quinn on is his individual production which has been great. He has progressed nicely every year and threw for 37 TDs and only 7 INTs, with a 61.9 comp pct rate and a 146.65 QB rating his senior year.

Your argument that he didn't get hype until Weiss came around is lacking. The 2 years of his career before Weiss came are commonly referred to as "freshman" and "sophmore" year. To expect "greatness" in those first, learning years is ludicrous. What you want to see out of these years is progress; which is what Quinn has displayed. Let's also not forget that most college football players hardly ever see the field in their first 2 seasons; let alone at the QB position and a very high profile college. Weiss also runs a pro style offense, which should be an indicator the Quinn can handle a similar system in the NFL.

We would be extremely fortunate to land Quinn at #9. Look at the numbers, they speak for themselves. Don't judge the man's college career on the Sugar Bowl. Judge it as a collective whole.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=150329

He hasn't won a big game in his career, because his performances aren't the only thing that determine an outcome of a game. His teams were constantly overrated, and would therefore be outmatched in any big game. And quite often he helped keep it close. He almost helped lead ND to a win over USC two seasons ago, when they had no business being in that game considering the USC talent. It figured that the defense let them down at the end of the game, not unlike thier bowl game against OSU only a few weeks later.

He hasn't won a big game in his career, because his performances aren't the only thing that determine an outcome of a game. His teams were constantly overrated, and would therefore be outmatched in any big game. And quite often he helped keep it close. He almost helped lead ND to a win over USC two seasons ago, when they had no business being in that game considering the USC talent. It figured that the defense let them down at the end of the game, not unlike thier bowl game against OSU only a few weeks later.

You're talking about the game where Leinart threw a ballsy, deep pass on 4th down and then went for the sneak to win the game? The one ND should have won?

How many big games did Manning win at Tenn? How about Jay Cutler?
You say he didn't get the hype until after Weiss came on board. Well that would have been after his soph yr at ND. How many QB's around the country are getting hyped after their soph yrs? Not many
His stats were solid against high grade opponents. They are even more impressive when you consider how much weaker his teammates were when compared to their opponents.

Back
Top Bottom