merged: SD Not Tagging Brees./Brees Coming to Miami? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

merged: SD Not Tagging Brees./Brees Coming to Miami?

Alex22 said:
Like the guy in your avatar...hopefully Huff drops to 16, not impossible

helll yea!

best part would be playing madden with huff on teh team! rush attack baby! hahaa

on to Brees. I've never really been that impressed with him. I'm not sure if Dolphins fans are just looking at his stats or just want to avenge taking Jamar Fletcher over him. I agree that arm strength is an overated quality in a QB but would still like someone with a stronger arm then Brees. I've seen Brees in 2 or 3 big games for the Chargers, all losses. It's said that when backs and TE's are your leading WR's it's a sure sign that your QB can't get the ball to the WR's. If we wanted a dinker and dunker, we'd have kept Huard. Brees completed 4 passes for 40 yards or more in 2005 while Gus completed 8 and Sage completed an additional 3, I just think the deep ball is a big part of our offense and Brees may fall short in that area. I don't know, maybe I don't like Brees because the majority of the time that I watch him is against the Dolphins, who he has NEVER had a good game against.

Alex22 said:
Its a double edged sword

If they give Brees what he want Phillip Rivers will be pissed

If they dont then Brees walks
The key to me being....Rivers hasn't proven jack in the NFL and Brees has, If San Diego lets him walk and they turn in a 5-11 record next year with Rivers at the helm they would be the laughing stock of the league. Maybe just maybe they know something we don't about his shoulder holding up? I don't know, but to me you always go with the proven commodity over the POTENTIAL!

Not that high but I would move us into the top 5 for likelyhood of making it to the big show.

Hence my use of the word "contenders".

Anyhow, if Brees or Culpepper become our next QB then I don't see us drafting a QB of the future this year. Both those guys have plenty of football left in them. Brees, IMO, would definately be the better of the 2. He'll want - and get - a huge contract though. Unfortunately Arizona needs a QB, and they have a ton of cap space. If they snag him, then there's a good chance Vince Young could fall to us. I'm not convinced VY is gonna be a great NFL QB, but no way I pass on a guy with that much upside at pick #16.

All these qbs these may be available: brees, culepepper, mcnair, etcetera . . . are all coming off a seaon w/major injuries! I don't think we should trade a high pick or give a ton of money to any of them!

We can live w/Gus, sign a healthy FA qb to compete w/Gus, draft a qb to succeed whoever wins the starting qb position, pickup and draft players for other needs (ex. love Hudson Houck, but imagine if we give him decent players to work with on the OL!).

We have too many other needs . . . besides upgrading the OL, we could upgrade the DBs, add youth to the other defensive positions, and find another playmaker a WR!

Mortgating our future or giving up cap space for any of the premium damaged qbs is insane!

Brees had a major injury this season? That's the first I've heard of that. So I take it you'd rather have Frerotte that Brees? I want some of whatever you're smoking.

808dolfan said:
All these qbs these may be available: brees, culepepper, mcnair, etcetera . . . are all coming off a seaon w/major injuries! I don't think we should trade a high pick or give a ton of money to any of them!
quote]

yes and no. i agree that it wouldnt be wise to bet the farm on them recovering, but these are proven guys who are hard to pass up. if nothing else, they will fill a need at QB for someone else leaving us to draft a QB with the 16th pick.

Mr. Reality said:
on to Brees. I've never really been that impressed with him. I'm not sure if Dolphins fans are just looking at his stats or just want to avenge taking Jamar Fletcher over him. I agree that arm strength is an overated quality in a QB but would still like someone with a stronger arm then Brees. I've seen Brees in 2 or 3 big games for the Chargers, all losses. It's said that when backs and TE's are your leading WR's it's a sure sign that your QB can't get the ball to the WR's. If we wanted a dinker and dunker, we'd have kept Huard. Brees completed 4 passes for 40 yards or more in 2005 while Gus completed 8 and Sage completed an additional 3, I just think the deep ball is a big part of our offense and Brees may fall short in that area. I don't know, maybe I don't like Brees because the majority of the time that I watch him is against the Dolphins, who he has NEVER had a good game against.

I think Brees is not quite as good as he was in 2004, but still top ten or twelve in the NFL.

Rivers excites me a little more, I think he could be top 5. But Brees is more proven.

As to his arm strength... I wouldn't worry about that too much. Yes, he only had 4 over 40, but he had 46 over 20, which, to me, is more important. And he had 9 and 40 in 2004.

Mr. Reality said:

No, that usually means your TE and back are better than your WR's. In the Chargers case, that's true.

808dolfan said:

We can live w/Gus, sign a healthy FA qb to compete w/Gus, draft a qb to succeed whoever wins the starting qb position, pickup and draft players for other needs (ex. love Hudson Houck, but imagine if we give him decent players to work with on the OL!).

We have too many other needs . . . besides upgrading the OL, we could upgrade the DBs, add youth to the other defensive positions, and find another playmaker a WR!

Mortgating our future or giving up cap space for any of the premium damaged qbs is insane!

Couldn't have said it any better myself. Though I will make one small comment -- I do think Brees is a much safer choice than Culpepper or McNair. He's not only younger but those other 2 are way more injury prone - McNair b/c of his age and health history and Daunte b/c of his reckless style of play on top of the fact that he completely shredded his knee up.

hmmmm . . . if you're responding to me, then i guess you didn't read my post carefully.

i never did say that i'd rather have or thought that gus was a better qb than brees.

i just think that i'd rather have gus and his contract (or another guy's reasonable contract) ahead of brees and what type of money he will command!

let's get real . . . the phins aren't gonna win the superbowl next year and probably not even the year after that with or without brees. the win streak at the end of the year is inflated w/bad teams or w/teams with nothing to play for by the time we beat them. so why pay him (or mcnair or culepepper) that kind of money when the money or the draft pick compensation(s) could be used to help rebuild other parts of the team?

this way, we will have a mix of veterans a young players who are all "saban guys." and i do trust saban's judgement with both coaching and building our team. so if he does end up picking up one of the aforementioned qb's, then i'll trust him even if i don't agree with him. afterall, that's what the guy does for a living . . . and until proven otherwise, is great at it!

but personally, i think that gus or another veteran FA qb can tend the team while we groom a young qb who can hopefully lead us to a championship in a few years.

What have Drew Brees led teams accomplished that leads everyone on this board to go ga ga over Drew, 9-7 with all that talent on offense. Who's to say the Chargers couldn't have pulled off a 9-7 record with Frerrotte and Rosenfels as their QB's??? Why is it that I can think of so many Chargers games where San Diego had a shot to win it at the end but came up short?? You can't deny that 80% of this board is more interested in replacing Frerrotte than getting a truely talented not injured long term solution at QB??

Back
Top Bottom