Merged: Senior Bowl Players' Analysis | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Senior Bowl Players' Analysis

fishypete said:
Perhaps that the way you look at it....but Rivers didn't rise until he played the game....while the scouts and GM's are mostly gone before the game...they indeed get the game film...if they game didn't matter....why would they want it?
Practice is practice...but it's the games where players either rise or fall...the NFL doesn't sell T.V. rights to practices...but to games. What if a player practices great...but when the heat is on...can't play against players that are as good as he is? It all matters....and it's that clear and simple.

Playing well in college is far different than playing well in the Pros.

Maybe you choose to ignore what every scout and personnel man in the league says regarding the importance of the Senior Bowl practices versus the game, but I don't.

Rivers caught Shottenheimers in practice that week, remember, Shottenheimer coached Rivers side in that Senior Bowl.

Every player coming out of college has a big learning curve to go thru when entering the pros, perhaps even more so for a QB. As I said, they are primarily looking at talent and the overall package which includes the players ability to learn when scouting them at the Senior Bowl, they are far less concerned about how well they do in a game with one week to learn a system with brand new coaches and teammates.

Now certainly a player can add an explanation point to his Senior Bowl week in the game, and maybe even catch someones eye, as they have in the past, but the point is, Jay Cutler's stock did not drop because of this game.

That would be similar to saying John Elways stock dropped after his subpar rookie year.

What the NFL saw was, the arm, the release and the intelligence and intangibles that show he can be molded into a successful NFL qb.

BlueFin said:
Playing well in college is far different than playing well in the Pros.

Maybe you choose to ignore what every scout and personnel man in the league says regarding the importance of the Senior Bowl practices versus the game, but I don't.

Rivers caught Shottenheimers in practice that week, remember, Shottenheimer coached Rivers side in that Senior Bowl.

Every player coming out of college has a big learning curve to go thru when entering the pros, perhaps even more so for a QB. As I said, they are primarily looking at talent and the overall package which includes the players ability to learn when scouting them at the Senior Bowl, they are far less concerned about how well they do in a game with one week to learn a system with brand new coaches and teammates.

Now certainly a player can add an explanation point to his Senior Bowl week in the game, and maybe even catch someones eye, as they have in the past, but the point is, Jay Cutler's stock did not drop because of this game.

That would be similar to saying John Elways stock dropped after his subpar rookie year.

What the NFL saw was, the arm, the release and the intelligence and intangibles that show he can be molded into a successful NFL qb.

I'm not ignoring anything Blue...the practices have their place and so does the game...if the game didn't have any importance...why would every scout and GM receive a copy.

Rivers rose because of the game...Blue..Now if Rivers played like Cutler did...perhaps Marty would have been the only coach that would have use a high pick on him.

You say Cutlers stock hasn't drop because of the lousy game he had...first how do you know that? It's way too early to say what the scouts and GM's now think Cutler's worth as a QB. No one has said that he doesn't have a strong arm...quick release...but it's obvious he doesn't have the mental part down...bad decisions....and his footwork is lousy. Try to compare Cutler to Elway isn't going to work Blue....He's not even in the same ball park. Young and Elway are closer.

What the NFL and we saw Blue...was Cutler was 6 for 19 at a 32% comp rating...that Croyle...a kid who everyone states is not as good...played better. What I and others at least found out was Cutler has small hands...again not too good...especially if you play in cold wet weather.

i know kiper and some scouts have said his stock is the same. kiper didn't change his tune at all after the game about cutler at all, saying detroit will draft him. i hope wherever he goes, he doesn't have to start right away. it won't be pretty.

fishypete said:
I'm not ignoring anything Blue...the practices have their place and so does the game...if the game didn't have any importance...why would every scout and GM receive a copy.

Rivers rose because of the game...Blue..Now if Rivers played like Cutler did...perhaps Marty would have been the only coach that would have use a high pick on him.

You say Cutlers stock hasn't drop because of the lousy game he had...first how do you know that? It's way too early to say what the scouts and GM's now think Cutler's worth as a QB. No one has said that he doesn't have a strong arm...quick release...but it's obvious he doesn't have the mental part down...bad decisions....and his footwork is lousy. Try to compare Cutler to Elway isn't going to work Blue....He's not even in the same ball park. Young and Elway are closer.

What the NFL and we saw Blue...was Cutler was 6 for 19 at a 32% comp rating...that Croyle...a kid who everyone states is not as good...played better. What I and others at least found out was Cutler has small hands...again not too good...especially if you play in cold wet weather.

To quote Ronald Reagan..."There you go again Pete"..........

You totally ignore reality too see it the way you choose, if I chose to be a shortsighted person like yourself Pete, I would condemn Croyle for his interception and near interceptions, but I and most others that understand the process know that a game with one week to prepare, with entirely new teamamates, entirely new coaches, and entirely new playbook means very little in the grand scheme, I and the guys that get paid to scout players, are much more concerned with the physical abilities, intelligence ands intangibles that the kid displays during practice, and also the interview process.

And yes, I am comparing the kid to John Elway in this aspect, they are/we're both high first round prospects, I also compared the horrible rookie year Elway had to the poor Senior Bowl performance Cutler had, only shortsighted people like yourself Pete, would use those things to condemn a prospect.

But what more should I expect from you, you are the one that wants to label Rodgers a bust when he hasn't even had a chance to play yet behind Favre, if thats not a narrowminded person I don't know what one is?

BlueFin said:
To quote Ronald Reagan..."There you go again Pete"..........

You totally ignore reality too see it the way you choose, if I chose to be a shortsighted person like yourself Pete, I would condemn Croyle for his interception and near interceptions, but I and most others that understand the process know that a game with one week to prepare, with entirely new teamamates, entirely new coaches, and entirely new playbook means very little in the grand scheme, I and the guys that get paid to scout players, are much more concerned with the physical abilities, intelligence ands intangibles that the kid displays during practice, and also the interview process.

And yes, I am comparing the kid to John Elway in this aspect, they are/we're both high first round prospects, I also compared the horrible rookie year Elway had to the poor Senior Bowl performance Cutler had, only shortsighted people like yourself Pete, would use those things to condemn a prospect.

But what more should I expect from you, you are the one that wants to label Rodgers a bust when he hasn't even had a chance to play yet behind Favre, if thats not a narrowminded person I don't know what one is?

Blue...Who's the hyped player Cutler or Croyle? You would expect Croyle to make mistakes...I expect a 2nd or 3rd rounder to make mistakes...do you...but do you expect a top ten player to do so? Come on Blue...6 out of 19...isn't respectable for a 2nd round pick...never mind a top ten player.
Rodgers isn't a bust because he hasn't had a chance to play yet Blue...he was a hyped up player just like Cutler who dropped like a rock when reality hit. Talk about narrowminded...seems you can't get off that bandwagon of hyped players. Yes I would take Croyle over Cutler...Croyle in the 2nd round is where he belongs...his value isn't inflated by hype and fans who jump on those wagons way too early...before the draft. You see Blue...what I think or you think doesn't mean anything...the only people that matter work for the Dolphins...and on draft day...they'll let us know their decisions. Have fun...thats all this is...and I try to have fun, every day.

By the way...Reagan also said....trust but verify.

fishypete said:
Blue...Who's the hyped player Cutler or Croyle? You would expect Croyle to make mistakes...I expect a 2nd or 3rd rounder to make mistakes...do you...but do you expect a top ten player to do so? Come on Blue...6 out of 19...isn't respectable for a 2nd round pick...never mind a top ten player.
Rodgers isn't a bust because he hasn't had a chance to play yet Blue...he was a hyped up player just like Cutler who dropped like a rock when reality hit. Talk about narrowminded...seems you can't get off that bandwagon of hyped players. Yes I would take Croyle over Cutler...Croyle in the 2nd round is where he belongs...his value isn't inflated by hype and fans who jump on those wagons way too early...before the draft. You see Blue...what I think or you think doesn't mean anything...the only people that matter work for the Dolphins...and on draft day...they'll let us know their decisions. Have fun...thats all this is...and I try to have fun, every day.

By the way...Reagan also said....trust but verify.

Pete......this is Houston, We seem to have lost you........nuff said.

BlueFin said:
Pete......this is Houston, We seem to have lost you........nuff said.

Thats alright...I have good company here...your here...nuff said too.:sidelol:

fishypete said:
Thats alright...I have good company here...your here...nuff said too.:sidelol:

Major Tom and the occasional Asteroid that flys by? Yes, your in good company....goodnight now Pete.

Back
Top Bottom