Merged: Texans sign MARIO WILLIAMS | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Texans sign MARIO WILLIAMS

Mr.Majestik said:
And if Mario Williams is the next Bruce Smith, and Bush the next Eric Metcalf, or if he's very fortunate, the next Joe Washington? I'll ask this question again. What makes Reggie Bush worthy of the superlatives he's been lavished with? He was almost like a change-of-pace guy at USC. LenDale White did the heavy lifting, Bush got flaired off to the side and used his superior speed to beat defenders to the edge, something he will not be able to make a living at in the NFL. Reggie Bush was never, ever asked to be "the man" at USC, Pete Carroll never said you're getting the ball 25-times because this team needs you to carry them on your back. Can he run between the tackles? Can he carry the ball 20-25 times a game? Can he block? Can he be productive on a team without a superior supporting cast? There is no answer to any one of these questions because he's never been tested. How in the world can anyone say this guy is a sure-fire superstar when his game at the college level was essentially running to the edge on every play, or catching balls out of the slot?

Stop making sense...:lol:

Good post!

kpcane said:
It wasn't a terrible move by the Texans. They already have a running back, wide receivers, and a punt returner. Williams or Ferguson made more sense...I just thought they'd trade the pick, and then draft one of those guys.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME !!!!!!!!!!

I GOT GAME said:
THIS PICK IS HORRIBLE

No its not. Chill with the caps. This pick isn't as bad as all the talking heads on ESPN make it sound.

Re:

PhinFan0202 said:
That's if he turns into the next Bruce Smith or Reggie White. How often is a DE taken #1 overall and does well? Courtney Brown anyone? Mario Williams didn't play the type of competition that Bush played against. You could definately make a case that Reggie Bush brought that team back in so many games. The Fresno State game comes to mind when he owned that defense all day long. I'm not saying that Mario Williams is going to stink but at the same time Reggie Bush is going to cause problems for any defense. He's going to open up plays for the other receivers to run wide open. He's got the speed to break into the secondary at any given time.
And how much better is Reggie Bush likely to be then your average Pro Bowl running back? Franchise running backs are a dime a dozen in the NFL. Guys with the potential to be Bruce Smith, or Reggie White are the Hope Diamonds of the league. That competition stuff isn't going to fly either. Julius Peppers came out of the ACC. Shawn Merriman came out of the ACC. Bush didn't play an upper echelon defense in his entire career in the Pac-10, I looked at USC's schedule the last three years, and the ranked teams he did play against were teams like Cal and Washington State and ASU, and he often struggled against them. He lit up Oklahoma in the Orange, and was ordinary against Texas.

Bush might have the speed, but he doesn't have the size, or the experience running betweens the tackles. He doesn't have a low center of gravity or a thick body like LaDainian Tomlinson, so those comparisons are void. How can you possibly justify the first pick in the draft on a guy you're going to lineup in the slot and occasionally hand the ball off to? The Texans already have a Pro Bowl-caliber back that caught more balls then any other RB in the NFL last year. They've got a new coach with a great offensive pedigree who believes he can take what they already have on offense and make them very good. The defense on the other hand doesn't have a single player, not one that could be described as even decent. You need playmakers on both sides of the ball to win in this league.

I just don't understand the Reggie Bush hype, he has a bunch of highlight reel plays, and almost no record of consistent achievement in those areas where a running back should. He didn't run between the tackles at USC. He wasn't an every down back. He's fast, but Ronnie Brown is fast and big. Willis McGahee is fast and big. Jamal Lewis was fast and big, Fred Taylor was fast and big (and still always hurt). Tomlinson was fast and low to the ground. These guys have a pedigree of success in the NFL that can't be argued about. Bush is a complete crap shot. He reminds me of Michael Vick in the number of people calling him a "once in a generation" player, and we know how that turned out. There were people on various online forums actually denouncing the Chargers for passing on Vick to take Tomlinson and Brees, and we know who had the last laugh there. Remember when Edgerrin James was picked over Ricky Williams? The talking heads said the Colts would be sorry. Ricky is out of the league, and James is on pace for a Hall of Fame career. The Texans made the smart move, and it was Kubiak, not lame duck Casserly that made this pick.

Back
Top Bottom