Merged: Texans sign MARIO WILLIAMS | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Texans sign MARIO WILLIAMS

Houston should've traded out of the pick for whatever they could get, the idiots. I hope the Jets mortgage the farm for Bush. That would be hilarious.

dorsaroll156 said:
are you joking me:eek: great now we will have to deal with bush for a good ten years because you know the jets are going to jump all over this

It's not that big of a deal. I called awhile ago, as did a few others here, that they won't take Bush (check the thread UF KAT started, I think it was called "will the texans draft bush?"). I will admit though that I didn't think they would stay in the #1 spot and draft Williams, I thought they'd trade down to grab him.

Anyway, back to my point, if the jets take Reggie it's not THAT big of a deal.

One, he isn't going to be an everydown back, he touched the ball like 20 times a game at USC, passes included, so how is he going to switch to an every-down all-purpose back and be super effective? I don't see him smashing through NFL defensive lines anytime soon (he didn't even smash through lines in college). He can't handle an NFL workload, he isn't big enough.

Two, he ISN'T unstoppable, just watch the Rose Bowl again if you don't believe me. My Longhorns rendered him inneffective. If that defense can shut him down than NFL defenses can. LenDale White was the one the Longhorns' defense struggled with, Reggie was pretty much useless in that game.

That being said, we may have something to worry about on returns. He was more dangerous on punt returns than kick returns so we just have to make sure that our offense limits the punts in our two games against the Jets (or whomever should take Reggie) :lol:.

Don't worry guys, we'll be fine. Plus, this just made tomorrow THAT much more interesting.

FansinceJan'72 said:
Houston should've traded out of the pick for whatever they could get, the idiots. I hope the Jets mortgage the farm for Bush. That would be hilarious.

It will be funny seeing Bush trying to run behind the Jet's O-line if they do take him...no Kevin Mawae. :D

Mr.Majestik said:
Where does this hyperbole about Reggie Bush being a "once in a decade", or worse still "once in a lifetime" player, come from? The guy carried the ball more than twenty times only twice in his career at USC. If he is a once in a decade type of player, what was Willis McGahee before he injured his knee in the Fiesta Bowl? Once in a century? The ugly truth is that as a prospect, Bush isn't appreciably better then at least a half dozen guys in the last five-years. He certainly isn't a Tomlinson-type. Tomlinson is thick, with a low center of gravity, with that Barry Sanders-style of pinball running, bouncing off of defenders. Reggie Bush is a long-strider. He's lanky, with no body mass to speak of. He's like Robert Smith coming out of Ohio State, without Robert Smith's bona fides as a between-the-tackles runner. Mario Williams on the other hand is a freakish specimen at the most difficult position to fill (there are more franchise quarterbacks in the NFL then franchise DEs.) He's big, at a position where the outstanding rush ends are typically smaller. Few people remember that in so many of Reggie Bush's big games, his performance was one, or two long runs, often punctuated by a heavy dose of LenDale White up the middle. When Reggie Bush had 10-ypc in the defense deficient Pac-10, White would often have 7.5 ypc, and the touchdowns. I wouldn't be surprised if a guy like LenDale White ends up with the Steelers and he has a much better career then Bush.

Franchise defensive ends don't make that big of a difference. Jason Taylor is a franchise defensive end and two years ago it didn't matter how good he was. Mario Williams took off alot of plays at N.C. State and with two other defensive linemen from that team being first day picks whose to say he didn't benefit from having good talent around him? I see no reason for the Texans to take Williams, Feguson, Leinart, Young, Bush, are all better picks and would fill a more glaring need. Charlie Casserly maybe a "lame duck" GM and he's gonna leave a lasting impact on that franchise because Williams is not the right guy to pick.

Mr.Majestik said:
And if Mario Williams is the next Bruce Smith, and Bush the next Eric Metcalf, or if he's very fortunate, the next Joe Washington? I'll ask this question again. What makes Reggie Bush worthy of the superlatives he's been lavished with? He was almost like a change-of-pace guy at USC. LenDale White did the heavy lifting, Bush got flaired off to the side and used his superior speed to beat defenders to the edge, something he will not be able to make a living at in the NFL. Reggie Bush was never, ever asked to be "the man" at USC, Pete Carroll never said you're getting the ball 25-times because this team needs you to carry them on your back. Can he run between the tackles? Can he carry the ball 20-25 times a game? Can he block? Can he be productive on a team without a superior supporting cast? There is no answer to any one of these questions because he's never been tested. How in the world can anyone say this guy is a sure-fire superstar when his game at the college level was essentially running to the edge on every play, or catching balls out of the slot?

That's if he turns into the next Bruce Smith or Reggie White. How often is a DE taken #1 overall and does well? Courtney Brown anyone? Mario Williams didn't play the type of competition that Bush played against. You could definately make a case that Reggie Bush brought that team back in so many games. The Fresno State game comes to mind when he owned that defense all day long. I'm not saying that Mario Williams is going to stink but at the same time Reggie Bush is going to cause problems for any defense. He's going to open up plays for the other receivers to run wide open. He's got the speed to break into the secondary at any given time.

Been saying that they wouldn't take Bush 1st for months. Although I guess my bold prediction was only half right since I thought they'd take Brick. :)

Motion said:
Been saying that they wouldn't take Bush 1st for months. Although I guess my bold prediction was only half right since I thought they'd take Brick. :)

I thought they'd trade DOWN for Brick for the longest time, then with all the talk about their interest in Williams lately I thought they'd trade down and take Williams, so do I get like a 66%, since I got 2/3rds of my prediction right? :D

Dumbest move ive ever seen. See: Michael Irvins interview, lol.

I bet david carr is sitting in his bathtub with a toaster raised up in one hand.

Bad move for the Texans. If they didn't want Bush, they should have traded down for WHATEVER.

Texans added Moulds and Putzier already and could have added Bush to what could have been one of THE most exciting offenses in the NFL with Kubiak running the show.

Even if Mario is pretty good, this is still a wasted pick at #1 overall.

What could have been:

Carr, D.Davis, Bush, Moulds, A.Johnson, Putzier, Bruenner = PRETTY GOOD!

were screwed w/ now jets being able to get reggie bush maybe. but what a surprise would be if saints took bush. double threat w/ mccalister and bush? scary.

Roman529 said:
It will be funny seeing Bush trying to run behind the Jet's O-line if they do take him...no Kevin Mawae. :D
He will be running behind the online....just in the wrong direction. Imagine the look on his face when the ball is snapped and JT, Zach and the rest of Miami's defense gets to him before the ball does :lol: . Of course Chad Pennington might fumble beforehand so all he has to do is worry about jumping on the loose ball.

RothaMonster said:
were screwed w/ now jets being able to get reggie bush maybe. but what a surprise would be if saints took bush. double threat w/ mccalister and bush? scary.
No way the Saints take Bush IMHO. They already have Duece and he isn't going anywhere. I also don't think Bush will fall to the JETS. He has too much value to just let him fall. The Saints screwed up and picked the wrong QB and could screw this up too, but I just can't see them letting Bush slip by without getting some other team (NYJ, SF, Raiders) to panic and give up multiple picks.

maddendude said:
Dumbest move ive ever seen. See: Michael Irvins interview, lol.

I bet david carr is sitting in his bathtub with a toaster raised up in one hand.

Yea, Irvin was PISSED, :lol:

RothaMonster said:

Again, we are not "screwed" if the Jets take him, he isn't superhuman like people make him out to be, he CAN be stopped (see; ROSE BOWL). It is a much faster game in the NFL, and the players are much bigger, and they are ALL pro defenses, not just SOME pro-caliber players like he faces in college. Plus, he won't be pounding up the middle on third downs and short yardage situations, so what's everyone so afraid of? Punt returns? Hell, just make sure Daunte and the boys don't egt too many 4th downs when we play the Jets and we're golden. I think Reggie will be good in the NFL, but not so good we have to automaticall assume that's two losses for us if he goes to the Jets. I actually WANT him to go to the Jets, I'd love for my Dolphins to shut him down two times a year like my Longhorns did in the Rose Bowl. I have ALWAYS said LenDale White was the better PURE RUNNER of the two, while Reggie is the better all-around guy, and that was shown in the Rose Bowl when Texas completely took Bush out of the game yet LenDale was still giving them some trouble.

PLEASE NYJ, take Reggie.

Back
Top Bottom