Merged: Texans sign MARIO WILLIAMS | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Texans sign MARIO WILLIAMS

I think it was the right pick..although i'm saying that as a Dolphins fan..as a Texans fan, i'd be confused.

Amars said:
just on nfl network right now.

26 mil guaranteed

I think it's a good move. Everyone keeps calling Bush a once in a decade player. I would argue that a D-lineman with Mario Williams' ability is also.
You build playoff teams through defense. The Texans have some good young skill position players and while Bush may have made them better he wouldn't be as much a difference maker as a dominant D-end who can disrupt an opponent's offense.
In addition, I'm glad the Texans didn't allow themselves to be held hostage by Bush's agent.

wonder if Bush will fall to the three or four spot or if somebody will trade up..should be an interesting draft tomorrow

unifiedtheory said:
I said it another thread and I'll say it until I'm blue in the face...

I take a franchise defensive lineman over ANY position accept quarterback or left tackle.

Williams could turn into Reggie White and Bush could turn into Eric Metcalf....

If I was a Texans fan I'd be pretty happy today. They probably got Williams for less money and they could end up with the better player who could dominate for the next 10+ years.

Finally, a knowlegeable football fan.
Even if Bush is as great as everyone says he is, he isn't physically dominant enough (like Jim Brown) to carry an offense. Gale Sayers, OJ Simpson and Barry Sanders couldn't do it. They just filled seats.
The Steelers won a SB with an aging back and a decent back.
You build your team with defense, starting with the D-line.

Finfan8 said:
playing him every year will be bad

I'm not worried. A good defense will gameplan to take him out of the game. Heck, Michael Huff did a pretty good job on him in coverage.

I can't believe they signed this guy instead of bush. They'll regret this move for a long long time. Wow, I'm just amazed at this. Anybody agree with Houston on this move? I know I sure as hell don't. Idiotic.

NickJr. said:
I'm really not too surprised, but I alays thought Bush was overrated. He's a nice player but you have to look at what Houston has. The don't have much, but Bush wasn't the right fit.
1. Reggie can run, but only 10-15 carries per game b/c he's too light. Not to mention they have a nice young back in Davis (A Saban guy)
2. Reggie can catch but they have Johnson and Moulds and D. Davis had the 2nd most rec. of any RB last year.
3. Reggie is a great return man, but last year they drafted Mathis and he's a rookie pro-bowler!

So, when you look at it, drafting Bush would only improve areas that they are solid(which isn't too many). Super Mario can change the entire look of a defense. They had to take need as part of the consideration.

Great insight and logic. I don't understand how teams can rank him so high being that as of right now, can't carry the ball more than 15 times a game.

Dolfan73 said:
I can't believe they signed this guy instead of bush. They'll regret this move for a long long time. Wow, I'm just amazed at this. Anybody agree with Houston on this move? I know I sure as hell don't. Idiotic.

Wait and see. Bush would have been the "sexy pick", but not the fundamentally sound one.
I don't know why you are amazed, a dominant D-end can really disrupt an offense. Remember Bruce Smith and Reggie White?

Houston Selects De Williams

The Houston Texans will select DE Mario Williams on April 29th during the NFL Draft. The Texans have the first pick and they will pick Williams. This will make NFL fans shocked that the Texans did not select RB Reggie Bush. Bush might posssibly go to New Orleans, Tennessee, or the New York Football Jets... little joke (New York football Giants) http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/HOU/9404220

Gardenhead said:
Screw the jets. They could get Jesus on their team and they'd still suck.

This is the most eloquent post I have ever seen in all of Finheaven. So utterly true!

the saints would be crazy not to take bush. deuce is coming off a bad injury and N.O. really dont have any young playmakers on offense. plus, bush can save the franchise from moving to wherever they want to move.

good choice by the Texans, they automatically impove their D. Williams is going to be the best DE in the NFL. they didn't really need a RB so I think it's a good move by them. now I see the Jets trading up to #2 and drafting Bush. than Leinart going to the Titans and Ferguson going to NO at #4

Back
Top Bottom