Merged: The official world cup thread | Page 70 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: The official world cup thread

phunwin said:
That would be ironic...if it were true. The deceased's name was actually Andres Escobar.

Edit: Actually, come to think of it, it would be a coincidence, not irony. Irony is the opposite of what you expect. The original Pablo Escobar getting killed was hardly ironic. Another guy named Pablo Escobar getting killed wouldn't necessarily be either expected or unexpected, particularly in a place like Colombia, which is about as violent as the average Quentin Tarantino movie.

Wow, I'm a nerd.

:sidelol:

Kdawg954 said:
Wow I woulda been real pisst watching that and being a Columbian fan . . suprised they didn't do him like the guy who scored the own goal against the U.S. in 94.

It could be because Colombia wasn't favorite in the italy90WC, Colombia qualifying to second round was a surprise.

But in USA 94, Colombia was favorite, we had awesome qualifiers, and the 5-0 versus argentina... even Pele said that Colombia was going to be the champion that year. So there were a lot of gamblers betting a LOT of money for Colombia. But...you already know what happen.

It also could be because most of the gambling and drug traffic occured in Medellin, home of the Atletico Nacional. Both, Andres Escobar and Rene Higuita, were Nacional players, but Higuita gave Nacional the "Copa Libertadores" in the '89 stopping THREE penalty kicks, so he was an idol especially in Medellin, where Andres Escobar was murdered.

phunwin said:
That would be ironic...if it were true. The deceased's name was actually Andres Escobar.

Edit: Actually, come to think of it, it would be a coincidence, not irony. Irony is the opposite of what you expect. The original Pablo Escobar getting killed was hardly ironic. Another guy named Pablo Escobar getting killed wouldn't necessarily be either expected or unexpected, particularly in a place like Colombia, which is about as violent as the average Quentin Tarantino movie.

Wow, I'm a nerd.

Ha, good you corrected me. I had been under the impression his first name was Pablo for ages.

However, your edit is another story. The guy (even if he only shared the name Escobar, but especially IF his name was Pablo Escobar) was killed in Medellin, the city which Pablo Escobar terrorized and controlled.

So, there are at least two ironies: 1) A guy who killed others at will (Pablo Escobar) having a namesake getting killed himself, and 2) the city in which Escobar killed so many being the place where his namesake got killed.

Before I do some analysis, keep in mind I never stated the original Pablo Escobar getting killed was ironic.

OK, you say another Pablo Escobar getting killed would not be expected or unexpected. That is a weird statement to make, since there IS an expectation for another Pablo Escobar getting killed in Medellin over a period of time t: one can calculate that probability by looking at the number of Pablo Escobars in Medellin times the percentage of the population of Medellin killed over time t.

The percentage of the population of Medellin in 1993, when Pablo Escobar was killed, was ~1.6 million:
http://www.2747.com/2747/world/city/medellin.htm

In 1991, the number of homicides was about 4000:
http://wikitravel.org/en/Medellín

So, the percentage of the population of Medellin killed (homicides) in say a year in the early 1990's is 0.25 percent.

Thus, the question is how many Pablo Escobars were there in Medellin at that time? Let's first look at how many Escobars there are in the US among just heavily hispanic surnames (94.2 percent Hispanic). Look at appendix A containing just the 639 most frequently occurring such surnames from 115,526 observations.

http://www.census.gov/population/documentation/twpno13.pdf

There were 139 Escobars, so 139/115,526 ~= 0.001 = 0.1% of all surnames can be expected to be Escobar.

OK, thus: (0.0025 x 1.6 million) x 0.001 = 4!!!
So, we can expect 4 people with the surname Escobar to be killed in Medellin in the early 1990's. But, how about people with the name Pablo Escobar??

Since the 16th century, less than 1% of Spanish names include Pablo:
http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/spanish/male-given-freq.html

So, 4 x 0.01 = 0.04 people with the name of Pablo Escobar should be expected to be killed in one year in the heydey of Pablo Escobar. Or, we can expect one such Pablo Escobar to be killed every 25 years given the worst murder rate (back then) in the world.

Thus, IF his name really was Pablo Escobar, it would have been an irony. Since only his surname is Escobar, the irony is a bit less, but is still there given how unlikely it is (4 out of 1.6 million).

ckb2001 said:
Ha, good you corrected me. I had been under the impression his first name was Pablo for ages.

However, your edit is another story. The guy (even if he only shared the name Escobar, but especially IF his name was Pablo Escobar) was killed in Medellin, the city which Pablo Escobar terrorized and controlled.

So, there are at least two ironies: 1) A guy who killed others at will (Pablo Escobar) having a namesake getting killed himself, and 2) the city in which Escobar killed so many being the place where his namesake got killed.

Before I do some analysis, keep in mind I never stated the original Pablo Escobar getting killed was ironic.

OK, you say another Pablo Escobar getting killed would not be expected or unexpected. That is a weird statement to make, since there IS an expectation for another Pablo Escobar getting killed in Medellin over a period of time t: one can calculate that probability by looking at the number of Pablo Escobars in Medellin times the percentage of the population of Medellin killed over time t.

The percentage of the population of Medellin in 1993, when Pablo Escobar was killed, was ~1.6 million:
http://www.2747.com/2747/world/city/medellin.htm

In 1991, the number of homicides was about 4000:
http://wikitravel.org/en/Medellín

So, the percentage of the population of Medellin killed (homicides) in say a year in the early 1990's is 0.25 percent.

Thus, the question is how many Pablo Escobars were there in Medellin at that time? Let's first look at how many Escobars there are in the US among just heavily hispanic surnames (94.2 percent Hispanic). Look at appendix A containing just the 639 most frequently occurring such surnames from 115,526 observations.

http://www.census.gov/population/documentation/twpno13.pdf

There were 139 Escobars, so 139/115,526 ~= 0.001 = 0.1% of all surnames can be expected to be Escobar.

OK, thus: (0.0025 x 1.6 million) x 0.001 = 4!!!
So, we can expect 4 people with the surname Escobar to be killed in Medellin in the early 1990's. But, how about people with the name Pablo Escobar??

Since the 16th century, less than 1% of Spanish names include Pablo:
http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/spanish/male-given-freq.html

So, 4 x 0.01 = 0.04 people with the name of Pablo Escobar should be expected to be killed in one year in the heydey of Pablo Escobar. Or, we can expect one such Pablo Escobar to be killed every 25 years given the worst murder rate (back then) in the world.

Thus, IF his name really was Pablo Escobar, it would have been an irony. Since only his surname is Escobar, the irony is a bit less, but is still there given how unlikely it is (4 out of 1.6 million).

Are you serious? I can't believe this post was made...:lol:

Prime Time said:
Are you serious? I can't believe this post was made...:lol:

Dude, it's a fun way to kill time. :D Be back later after I use my time more wisely for awhile..

HysterikiLL said:
He touched you, didn't he, Q? :chuckle:
:eek: No, but close... He raped a team that was... bad. but just got worse.... argh it hurts just to remember that.

LMAO @ the analysis of Escobar

My good friend from Ecuador told me he has a brother who always stayed close to the area of Columbia where Escobar was killed and he pretty much told me that him getting killed had nothing to do with the World cup match, but he was looking at the girl of one of the most infamous drug dealers/gangstas in Columbia, and I have been told how Columbian dudes are about they women, jealous rages real quick, and that was the end for Escobar. Iono, dude just had no luck lol.

Loved seeing Italy win the world cup. How fitting that after 4 straight world cups of heartbreaking losses

Lost in 90' to Argentina in penalty kicks

Lost to Brazil in 94' in penalty kicks

Lost to France in 98' in penalty kicks

List to Korea in 02' in overtime

To watch Italy finally win one was amazing. I live in New Jersey, and with so many Italian Americans here (including myself) we were all going nuts when they won. In Newark, they blocked off 3 streets on Bloomfield ave, the Italian restaurants were supplying food and drinks to the whole area. Had big screen T.V's set up outside on vans, trucks, and anything else they could find. When they one the whole place went nuts. It was nice to see so many people happy and celebrating.

My opinion on the game was,

I thought Italy was the better team. Through out the whole tournamant, they were strong. They have the best defense in the world, the best goal keeper in the world. Buffon only allowed 2 goals, and neither of them were in regular play. One was an own goal, and one was by way of penalty kick.

France's goal was not earned, and it was a cheap and wrong call by the referee. There was no foul in the box on that play. I was so mad when the ref called that penalty in the box in the 7th minute. It was clearly NO foul and they showed it from about 6 different angles, he took a dive and got away with it. They handed France that goal, and it was complete BS. Italy's goal on the other hand was earned, on a great corner kick from Pierlo and a great header from Matarazze.

With the whole Zidane thing, no matter what somebody says to you during the course of the game, its nothing but trash talk, and an attempt to fluster a player. What Zidane did was uncalled for, and stupid in my opinion.

As far as Zidane goes, he's nothing but a little punk in my opinion. He is dirty, and always has been. He got thrown out during a 98 world cup match for kicking a guy in the groin while he was down, and there have been a few other times he has gotten thrown out for cheap shots when he played for Juventus.

He has always been a sore loser and a crybaby, and people make him out to be this all great player. He isn't as good as the press thinks he is. And for him to head but Matarazze like that, was 100 percent uncalled for. So they might of been bickering back and forth, but I could tell Zidane was getting angry, because when he hit that header, and Buffon made that amazing save, that got him all pissed off. You could see him yelling at somebody and talking to himself. I think that's what started his whole problem and frustration during that game,and it continued to get worse from there. Then he had to go and cheap shot him with that vicious head but.

At first I didn't think they were going to throw him out, because that ref is a complete idiot. He was shaky with his calls through out the whole tournament. And for FIFA to even appoint him the ref for the final, I thought was very odd in the first place. Then at least he had the common sense to go and ask the sideline ref if he saw it, that's when they threw him out. I am glad that his last moments of his career, he went down in flames to Italy. He deserved to lose. When it went into penalty kicks, I was so nervous, being their history in penalty kick situations..I am glad that they finally pulled one out though. Italy rules the world of soccer!!!!

FORZA ITALIA!!

Italy was gassed throughout the end of the game. Zidane is one of the best players to ever play Soccer, so your hatred for him is a little uncalled for. But props to Italy.

Its not that I hate him, I just think he is one of the dirtiest players that I have ever seen. And some of his actions over the course of the past 8 years or so, have been pretty bad. And for him to do that in the biggest event in the world, during the final game, was pretty stupid and uncalled for in my opinion. That showed no class or sportsmanship what he did.

Miami1 said:
Its not that I hate him, I just think he is one of the dirtiest players that I have ever seen. And some of his actions over the course of the past 8 years or so, have been pretty bad. And for him to do that in the biggest event in the world, during the final game, was pretty stupid and uncalled for in my opinion. That showed no class or sportsmanship what he did.

True, but what Materazzi said showed no class or sportsmanship either. Why not just stay quiet? You should be happy though..because of Zidane's mistake Italy took it to PKs and won. Who knows what could've happened had Zizou stayed in,

The thing is, who knows what was really said. They were both talking to each other, so who knows who said what. Talking trash is apart of all sports.

Zidane is known for doing vicious thing like that. And even if he stayed in the game, France's goal keeper was not that good. Bufon was by far the superior goal keeper, the best in the world. So I think that Italy would of won regardless if he got thrown out or not.

Miami1 said:
The thing is, who knows what was really said. They were both talking to each other, so who knows who said what. Talking trash is apart of all sports.

Not disagreeing with you BUT it isn't sportsmanship or classy either which is what you said Zidane wasn't.

Zidane is known for doing vicious thing like that. And even if he stayed in the game, France's goal keeper was not that good. Bufon was by far the superior goal keeper, the best in the world. So I think that Italy would of won regardless if he got thrown out or not.

How many PKs did Buffon save? None. France missed one that is why they lost. Italy was gassed and France was looking for the TKO...they almost got it with the header Zidane made where Buffon made a brilliant save. I think France would've sealed the deal, but Italy won, so more power to them.

Back
Top Bottom