Merged: Troy Smith | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Troy Smith

Here it goes... oh the Bucks played terrible, they're the better team their o-line played bad and Troy Smith wasn't playing to his potential. Dude just give it up to the Gators, they are the #1 team in the nation. Their defense was absolutely AMAZING. Chris Leak shut up everybody that thought he was never any good and Percy Harvin also played really well and he is a freshman. This guy is gonna be good, I can't believe he played such a huge role in a national championship game as a freshman!

Hey Hey Trust me im glad Florida won !
I hate Ohio after that BS call against the Canes in 03!
But you ppl are forgeting that the guy is the heisman winner...
and as for Leak he played smart but it looked more like a Tebow show in my book!

There was one particular poster, im not naming him, in which i argued for several posts that Jamarcus Russell would be a top 15 pick and troy smith would not go in the 1st round...He believed Russell was all size and no talent, where as troy smith was all talent and heart......im sorry...i dont mean to brag but this one feels real good...

You MAY be referring to me, i dunno, but yeah Troy let me down big time. That said, anyone who thinks he falls to day 2 is going a bit to far. Quinns bowl game was just as bad yet people are pencilling him in for maybe a 2-3 pick drop, wheras with smith its like a 3-4 round drop. Right now im seeing the 2-3 round area for Smith. He can maybe eek back into the first with a good few senior games and combine, but top 15 is almost certainly beyond reach now. But lets be a little realistic, the guy tore up college for years, and now has one bad game. That doesnt suddenly make him a CFL player. Are we gonna say that everyone on that OSU defense is not NFL worthy? Maybe Quinn Pit**** should be a 7th rounder now? People have bad games, he jsut picked THE worst time to have his.

Ok lets get a few things straight here. I was a BIG smith guy until this game, he was just terrible. The scope of the victory was astounding to all but some Gator fans. That said
Smith will have to have a HUGE offseason/combine to get into the first, but to say he is gonna fall to the 4-5-6 rounds is silly. Hes still got loads of talent. he just got bushwhacked in this game. How many of you think Brady Quinn will be a 6th rounder? Not many of you right. He didnt do much more than Smith in his bowl game. Yes hes taller, but other than that most of the nods are going Smith. Right now hes looking at dropped to the 2-early 3 area. If Brohm/Russell/Quinn are gone in the first for us, and Smith is there on the board in the second this could be a great pickup.
However, I think unless he roars back with some monster improvements in the offseason his stock wont rise that much. But until this game the guy had been a monster every which way, in every game, and had always stepped up to the plate. This performance WILL severely hurt him to be sure, but its not gonna drop him into day 2.

i really doubt smith is going to go in the 2nd. more and likely its going to be mid to late 3rd or 4th round. when they start looking him over and measuring him its going to drop him even more. he is really going to have a good week at the senior bowl to elevate himself and a good combine as well.

Hey Hey Trust me im glad Florida won !
I hate Ohio after that BS call against the Canes in 03!
But you ppl are forgeting that the guy is the heisman winner...
and as for Leak he played smart but it looked more like a Tebow show in my book!

Yeah but you have to agree, I can see it now what the media will say, Ohio played terrible, O-line played terrible. It is the same exact team they have had all year minus Ginn Jr. and not even he would have had enough of an impact to put a dent in that score. Leak played very well but Tebow was noticed more because he came in for a lot of short but important plays such as the goal line plays and 3 and 1 and 4th and 1. I'm just glad Leak played so well cause he's not too well like with some Gator fans. I think he's great and he just proved to everybody that he does have some potential.

i really doubt smith is going to go in the 2nd. more and likely its going to be mid to late 3rd or 4th round. when they start looking him over and measuring him its going to drop him even more. he is really going to have a good week at the senior bowl to elevate himself and a good combine as well.

Why? Aside from height (well known already) he has everything you could want. Hes got a rocket arm, hes fast and quick, hes not underweight or overweight. Its not like we are gonna be shocked to see hes 5'11" all of a sudden.
I still hate the height thing. His line at OSU is every bit as big as an NFL line, if not bigger, seriously, go look it up. That didnt seem to bother him to much in college. That whole team sucked today, not just one player. It will hurt, but it wont destroy. The 2-3 round is where he will be landing, hes just got to much talent for a QB hungry team to ignore outside of the first round. Hes got alot of catchup to do for sure though.

Yeah but you have to agree, I can see it now what the media will say, Ohio played terrible, O-line played terrible. It is the same exact team they have had all year minus Ginn Jr. and not even he would have had enough of an impact to put a dent in that score. Leak played very well but Tebow was noticed more because he came in for a lot of short but important plays such as the goal line plays and 3 and 1 and 4th and 1. I'm just glad Leak played so well cause he's not too well like with some Gator fans. I think he's great and he just proved to everybody that he does have some potential.

Ohio did play terrible, that 3 week (maybe even 4) layover was harsh, saw it with Michigan too. That said, major props to Florida, they went out and took the victory in convincing fashion, it wasnt handed to them by Ohio State. The Florida D is the big winner here, they have always been known for LBs and DBs and this will really help them here.

1 game and now no one likes Smith?

I want to start out by saying that I am not an Ohio State fan and i never personally thought Troy Smith was a choice for us at #9, maybe a later 1st rounder or 2nd rounder. After watching him tonight, my perception still hasn't changed. The man couldn't even take his drops without a DE breathing down his neck. We all know what an offensive line can do, or what you can't do without one because we (Dolphins) have experienced much of it with our offensive line play lately. Last week everybody was loving his abilities, and was anticipating to see if we could snatch him up in possibly the 2nd round and now he's not even an NFL QB. What's next, Chris Leak in the 2nd round? Troy Smith is an excellent football player and an NFL team is going to be getting a great football player, and a great guy to have in their locker room.

I want to start out by saying that I am not an Ohio State fan and i never personally thought Troy Smith was a choice for us at #9, maybe a later 1st rounder or 2nd rounder. After watching him tonight, my perception still hasn't changed. The man couldn't even take his drops without a DE breathing down his neck. We all know what an offensive line can do, or what you can't do without one because we (Dolphins) have experienced much of it with our offensive line play lately. Last week everybody was loving his abilities, and was anticipating to see if we could snatch him up in possibly the 2nd round and now he's not even an NFL QB. What's next, Chris Leak in the 2nd round? Troy Smith is an excellent football player and an NFL team is going to be getting a great football player, and a great guy to have in their locker room.

Thank you. If hes there in the second and we have not gotten a qb in the first he will be a good pickup.

Why? Aside from height (well known already) he has everything you could want. Hes got a rocket arm, hes fast and quick, hes not underweight or overweight. Its not like we are gonna be shocked to see hes 5'11" all of a sudden.
I still hate the height thing. His line at OSU is every bit as big as an NFL line, if not bigger, seriously, go look it up. That didnt seem to bother him to much in college. That whole team sucked today, not just one player. It will hurt, but it wont destroy. The 2-3 round is where he will be landing, hes just got to much talent for a QB hungry team to ignore outside of the first round. Hes got alot of catchup to do for sure though.

yea alot of teams are going to drop him on the board because of his height regardless. most teams want a 6'3 230 pound quarterback. not a 5'10 quarterback that has to find passing lanes constantly. he also has character issues stemming from money he took from a booster that caused him to get suspended for the bowl game, misdemeanor disorderly conduct arrest and also missed another game and didnt start another because of disciplinary problems. am i saying he is going to be a complete waste. probably not. i just dont see him being anything more than a shorter version of shaun king. king was a first day pick, a 2nd round pick i think, and he had a few moments but nothing lasting and im sure the bucs regret it.

yea alot of teams are going to drop him on the board because of his height regardless. most teams want a 6'3 230 pound quarterback. not a 5'10 quarterback that has to find passing lanes constantly. he also has character issues stemming from money he took from a booster that caused him to get suspended for the bowl game, misdemeanor disorderly conduct arrest and also missed another game and didnt start another because of disciplinary problems. am i saying he is going to be a complete waste. probably not. i just dont see him being anything more than a shorter version of shaun king. king was a first day pick, a 2nd round pick i think, and he had a few moments but nothing lasting and im sure the bucs regret it.

Hes got alot more raw talent than King. Teams already were pegging him around spots because of the height, this shouldnt affect his stock any more than it already has, and I think teams realize that talent outweighs height in many cases. I think his performance drops him here more than height from now on. The conduct thing is another issue, but in the end he just has to damn much talent to ignore. Put him in a 6'3 body and your likely talking about him dropping from the #3 first round pick the ninth instead. Those inches arent gonna take him from that to a second day pick just because of one bad game. TALENT is something that NFL cremes over, just look at Terrel Owens, everyones favorite talented azzwipe. If he wasnt half as talented as he is he would be out of work a long time ago.
Troy Smith has talent, you cant deny that, and that will keep him in the first day.

You know where height kills ya aas a QB. On screen passes where you are trying to draw in the rush and you have to put more arc on the ball to avoid the Defensive End. This allows the defense to get an extra second to recover. It generally doesnt hurt you when you're throwing anything over ten yards but when you're throwing short it can hurt you because you may not be able to throw it on a downward trajectory but may have to arc it or avaoid the throw if someone is in your face. Some QBs can compensate, many can't. It's not a death sentence but it doesnt help

You know where height kills ya aas a QB. On screen passes where you are trying to draw in the rush and you have to put more arc on the ball to avoid the Defensive End. This allows the defense to get an extra second to recover. It generally doesnt hurt you when you're throwing anything over ten yards but when you're throwing short it can hurt you because you may not be able to throw it on a downward trajectory but may have to arc it or avaoid the throw if someone is in your face. Some QBs can compensate, many can't. It's not a death sentence but it doesnt help

Well hell, if drafting Smith makes us throw the ball deep a few times a game im all for that!!

You make a good point, but its nothing that hasnt been explored by teams already. Some guys, like King, fail. Others, like Drew Brees, succeed. You cant generalize in the draft or you miss out. Take it player by player. The fact is that aside from this one game, Troy Smith has had a dream year. If he is there in the second he will be a steal, in my humble opinion. Others will, obviously, disagree.

Hes got alot more raw talent than King. Teams already were pegging him around spots because of the height, this shouldnt affect his stock any more than it already has, and I think teams realize that talent outweighs height in many cases. I think his performance drops him here more than height from now on. The conduct thing is another issue, but in the end he just has to damn much talent to ignore. Put him in a 6'3 body and your likely talking about him dropping from the #3 first round pick the ninth instead. Those inches arent gonna take him from that to a second day pick just because of one bad game. TALENT is something that NFL cremes over, just look at Terrel Owens, everyones favorite talented azzwipe. If he wasnt half as talented as he is he would be out of work a long time ago.
Troy Smith has talent, you cant deny that, and that will keep him in the first day.

smith has talent yes but its his pro potential that is the problem. scouts wont deny that the guy is talented, you have to be to start for a team like ohio state. the problem is he doesnt have much potential for the pros. he has great athletic ability but so does every nfl defense. in college he could slide around in the pocket looking for an open man because college defenses alot of the time arent as good as college offenses. he got a taste of what the nfl will offer tonight against florida. i actually see a possible position change for smith to a slash type role in the nfl.

Well hell, if drafting Smith makes us throw the ball deep a few times a game im all for that!!

You make a good point, but its nothing that hasnt been explored by teams already. Some guys, like King, fail. Others, like Drew Brees, succeed. You cant generalize in the draft or you miss out. Take it player by player. The fact is that aside from this one game, Troy Smith has had a dream year. If he is there in the second he will be a steal, in my humble opinion. Others will, obviously, disagree.

LOL. Good point on throwing deep. Yeah I'm with you on the 2nd round pick if we dont go QB first round. Then again maybe we should just draft 6 QBs. There's safety in numbers :lol: I think he's great value in the 2nd and would be all for it if we did it. He probably played himself out a late first but I dont think he'll fall past the 2nd

smith has talent yes but its his pro potential that is the problem. scouts wont deny that the guy is talented, you have to be to start for a team like ohio state. the problem is he doesnt have much potential for the pros. he has great athletic ability but so does every nfl defense. in college he could slide around in the pocket looking for an open man because college defenses alot of the time arent as good as college offenses. he got a taste of what the nfl will offer tonight against florida. i actually see a possible position change for smith to a slash type role in the nfl.

I doubt it. Smith has pro potential. That entire OSU team collapsed today, not just Smith. Gameplanning for Smith wont be a cakewalk, but neither would it be impossible. For his raw talent some team will think it an acceptable tradeoff. I mean, Mike Vick isnt any taller than him. Please dont start comparing them though, aside from height they are very different. You have to do things a bit differently with a smaller QB, but its certainly manageable, and for a talent like Smith its a risk well worth taking. Again, simply opinion, and obviously you disagree.

Back
Top Bottom