Merged: Universal Draft Hits the Sun Sentinel | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Universal Draft Hits the Sun Sentinel

Correct me if I am wrong but to me we have a real luxury selecting at #12. We were in the playoff hunt until the last week of the season and selecting this high in the draft could really get us over the hump.

In Round 1 you have to hit a sure thing. Rolando McClain, Earl Thomas, Dez Bryant, and CJ Spiller are prime for that spot. I will not discount that Brandon Graham, Jared Odrick, and possibly even Mike Iupati could be in play but McClain, Thomas, Bryant, and Spiller really fill some major voids and are four of the best players in this draft.

You come to Round 2 and while you can wish that Brandon Spikes or Jerry Hughes falls to us at #43 it is not feasable. I really like what Mardy Gilyard brings in terms of a #2 receiver; He would complement Antonio Bryant nicely shall we chase him. I don't see LaFell being a good fit for us here. I think with this pick a guy like Jason Worlids of Virginia Tech stands out. Other players like Greg Hardy of Mississippi, Morgan Burnett of GT, Terrence Cody of Alabama, and even Damian Williams of USC have to be in play. The wild-card could be Dexter McCluster of Mississippi. The guy is a threat without question and the Dolphins coaching staff is getting a very good look at him. Nate Allen,FS of South Florida is another guy who excels in coverage.

Round 3 is an interesting round indeed. Taylor Price, who CK did an amazing piece on, is a perfect selection here. Brandon lang of Troy, Rob Gronkowski of Arizona , AJ Edds of Iowa, Jeremy Williams of Tulane, and Eric Norwood of South Carolina are other guys I like here.

Two players really stand out for me in Round4 and those are Jimmy Graham of Miami and Torrell Troup of Central Florida. Graham has been receiving a lot of attention and rumors have swirled that Parcells and Ireland have made trips to watch this kid.

You can make all of the mocks you want right now and they will change 10 times before the actual draft due to free agency and the combine. I expect the Fins to be fairly active in free agency and while having Brandon Marshall, Miles Austin, Vince Wilfork,Shawn Merriman, or Elvis Dumerville would be nice I don't expect any of them to find thier way to Miami. The guys who intrigue me off the bat are Karlos Dansby and Antonio Bryant. Dansby and Crowder would form a very nice tandem as ou Inside Backers and also allow us to search for alternate needs at #12. Bryant could be the #1 receiver for now and then we could focus on receiver with our 1st Rounder in the 2011 draft that features Michael Floyd, AJ Green, Julio Jones, and Jonathan Baldwin. Signing these two guys would put Earl Thomas and CJ Spiller in play for sure. Some other free agents I like include Marshall Yanda of the Ravens, Aubrayo Franklin, Ryan Pickett, and everyone else I like is Restricted due to the CBA.

CK,

Chris, right? Just wnt through all of you're breakdowns and must say man that is friggin quality work. That Universal Draft site is going to something really good. Good work

good work guys on all levels, quick question.....

I have read in this thread posters mentioning Nolan using a 5-2 at times, Im a knowledgable football fan, just want to be sure Im understanding that is 5 DL & 2 LB's right? Merling was mentioned as being used in that defense so was curious if thats what you guys are meaning.

CK,

Chris, right? Just wnt through all of you're breakdowns and must say man that is friggin quality work. That Universal Draft site is going to something really good. Good work

Now you're just tryin to get in my pants.

Thanks man, appreciate it. We're still tryin to figure out what we're gonna be. Are we something totally comprehensive that kills you with information on every single player alive? Or are we a draft blog that just offers quality information on whatever we're talking about, with a given that we're not going to cover every single subject.

Personally, I like the latter. I hate going mile wide and inch deep, ending up writing a few scant and cheap words about a guy that we don't really know that much about, focusing on rankings and mock drafts which are almost by definition a mile wide and inch deep, etc. When we put something out there I want the person reading it to feel the player, and think to themselves, I know this guy now. That's why I like the videos.

Anyway, glad you appreciate the site.

good work guys on all levels, quick question.....

I have read in this thread posters mentioning Nolan using a 5-2 at times, Im a knowledgable football fan, just want to be sure Im understanding that is 5 DL & 2 LB's right? Merling was mentioned as being used in that defense so was curious if thats what you guys are meaning.

If you ask me a 5-2 is basically still a 3-4 defense except instead of the OLBs starting the play with their hands off the ground, they start the play with their hands on the ground. You may want to ask yourself, why do that? I suspect, I'm not a coach but I suspect that indeed a guy popping up from a down stance and trying to release out into a coverage assignment would be at more of a disadvantage than if he'd started with his hand on the ground. So, one would think that with guys having their hands on the ground, the OL pretty much accepts that all 5 are rushing. Thing is, you can use that supposed predictability or assumption against an offense by going ahead and doing the unpredictable, and in certain situations being able to find a way to cover up for the disadvantage you're giving to a player by asking him to fulfill LB duties with his hand initially on the ground. For instance, what if the play calls for your SOLB to really destroy the heck out of the TE? How better to do that than to get his hand on the ground, lined up directly over him, so that he can prevent him going out on a route either because with 5 men predicted to rush the passer the TE now has to option in to block, or because your SOLB is able to just de-route the guy and screw up the timing right off the line at the snap.

Just little situational stuff like that, you can find the advantages in different alignment techniques.

What I imagine is we need to find ourselves a much more reliable WOLB pass rusher, if we're going to pull stunts like that. Hopefully that's Cameron Wake. The reason I say that is because you need to be able to rush the passer effectively with 3 DLs lined up in 2-gap alignments, plus one outside rusher. That way, the SOLB is free to destroy the Tight End, and doesn't have to be relied upon to get pressure.

Now you're just tryin to get in my pants.

Thanks man, appreciate it. We're still tryin to figure out what we're gonna be. Are we something totally comprehensive that kills you with information on every single player alive? Or are we a draft blog that just offers quality information on whatever we're talking about, with a given that we're not going to cover every single subject.

Personally, I like the latter. I hate going mile wide and inch deep, ending up writing a few scant and cheap words about a guy that we don't really know that much about, focusing on rankings and mock drafts which are almost by definition a mile wide and inch deep, etc. When we put something out there I want the person reading it to feel the player, and think to themselves, I know this guy now. That's why I like the videos.

Anyway, glad you appreciate the site.

The hard part is that we actually have jobs outside of this. Doing the videos maybe too much for everyone, but if we can do a good many of the people out there with videos and other simply through print as we did last year we can cover a good many players.

The workload can be nuts if we're not careful. We'll do as much as we can and everytime we get better at it. Compared to last year for instance our site was nothing compared to this.

Fully agreed. Getting better as we go is key. For instance this time last year I didn't have near as convenient resources for pulling games. Next year, just imagine as I'll actually be able to spread out the work on a weekly basis...processing some of the week's games into video as we go through the college season instead of just trying to do it all in December through March.

Fully agreed. Getting better as we go is key. For instance this time last year I didn't have near as convenient resources for pulling games. Next year, just imagine as I'll actually be able to spread out the work on a weekly basis...processing some of the week's games into video as we go through the college season instead of just trying to do it all in December through March.

Yeah. By the way, finally got the torrents to work last night so I can get some games. Ricky Sapp is who I'll do next as a video.

Back
Top Bottom