Merged: Universal Draft Hits the Sun Sentinel | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Universal Draft Hits the Sun Sentinel

If Merling could move to SSOLB (remember CK writing something on this before this season), it'd free up a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd RD pick. I think he has the ability.

Yea then we would not have to draft a OLB assuming Wake will be a starter if Joey is gone...

I think we could draft Mclain if he is there...

We would need some more depth at DE but we could easily find a depth player in the mid rounds..

That would be a really good young front 7..

Wake, Crowder, Mclain, Merling

Starks........Soliai.....Langford

Alot of Mocks are now projecting pretty nasty NT like Cody and Williams possilby falling out of the 1st round..someone has to....

If Nolan goes to a 2 gap scheme can Starks play it?

I also wonder Soliai and Langford will fair

If Merling could move to SSOLB (remember CK writing something on this before this season), it'd free up a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd RD pick. I think he has the ability.

Keep in mind that moving Merling out to SOLB could only be the safety net that allows us to fix the position by drafting only one guy instead of acquiring multiple players. We all know how this regime likes to fix holes by double-picking.

As Simon points out, if you move Merling, then grabbing a Jason Pierre-Paul at #12 and counting on him to help fix the defense would not be such a big gamble. We gambled on Sean Smith and Vontae Davis to fix the secondary and replace Andre Goodman. They did about as well as they could as rookies and yet the secondary was still a huge problem. I don't think you want that at any position, you need good options.

Another thing about moving Merling is, it allows you to keep flipping rocks at the DE position which they consider to be quite possibly the most important on the defense. Personnel is a percentage game. If you roll the dice X number of times, chances are if you're doing your job, you'll win Y number of times. The only way to guarantee you don't win is if you don't roll the dice. Phil Merling took 376 snaps this year along the DL where we could potentially be dishing those snaps out to some guys like Lionel Dotson, Ryan Baker, and some new guys who are begging to get on the field so that they can show us whether they're the next Jay Ratliff or not.

In a way, Phil Merling and Tony McDaniel are extremely solid rotators that help you win games. But in another way, they're drain stoppers that keep you from discovering the next big thing. It might be wise to clear one of those drain stoppers while keeping the other in place...so that you can keep searching for the next star.

We had a running discussion about his position when he was drafted. CK and I were in the OLB side and I think KB was on the DL side. That went on for a while IIRC.

I really like him as a linebacker I thought his frame was perfect to SOLB.

I was really surprised that Vonnie Holliday was working at OLB...

I was like WTF?

Roth did make the most sense at the time...

Roth did nothing as a Strongside end in a 43..so there was no way that he would have been able to play 5 tech..

Merling has been a bit of a fish out of water..

I hope this does not end up like Jason Allen with the switching of postions and all..

Merling was basically a 1st rounder since there was no 32nd 1st round pick..

Hate to see another 1st rounder bite the dust with the phins

This draft is somewhat unique to me in that I see some guys in this draft who I feel could be better pros than college players because they were held back by college systems which asked them to do things from a 4-3 standpoint where they might be better 3-4 players. Jeff Fitzgerald and Doug Worthington immediately come to mind.

Keep in mind that moving Merling out to SOLB could only be the safety net that allows us to fix the position by drafting only one guy instead of acquiring multiple players. We all know how this regime likes to fix holes by double-picking.

As Simon points out, if you move Merling, then grabbing a Jason Pierre-Paul at #12 and counting on him to help fix the defense would not be such a big gamble. We gambled on Sean Smith and Vontae Davis to fix the secondary and replace Andre Goodman. They did about as well as they could as rookies and yet the secondary was still a huge problem. I don't think you want that at any position, you need good options.

Another thing about moving Merling is, it allows you to keep flipping rocks at the DE position which they consider to be quite possibly the most important on the defense. Personnel is a percentage game. If you roll the dice X number of times, chances are if you're doing your job, you'll win Y number of times. The only way to guarantee you don't win is if you don't roll the dice. Phil Merling took 376 snaps this year along the DL where we could potentially be dishing those snaps out to some guys like Lionel Dotson, Ryan Baker, and some new guys who are begging to get on the field so that they can show us whether they're the next Jay Ratliff or not.

In a way, Phil Merling and Tony McDaniel are extremely solid rotators that help you win games. But in another way, they're drain stoppers that keep you from discovering the next big thing. It might be wise to clear one of those drain stoppers while keeping the other in place...so that you can keep searching for the next star.

I understand that the do that alot drafting 2 players to fill a need..If one fails you have another there and hope he can do a great job..

But I dont really see the Value of taking Pierre there..alot of analsysis stats he is a raw pass rusher..plus only has 1 year of exp...

I like the idea of getting Mcclain..pending he is there and taking another OLB later in the draft.. Mcclain has great physical tools and is super Savy...

He could wreak havoc in a 2 gap system if Miami goes back to it

This draft is somewhat unique to me in that I see some guys in this draft who I feel could be better pros than college players because they were held back by college systems which asked them to do things from a 4-3 standpoint where they might be better 3-4 players. Jeff Fitzgerald and Doug Worthington immediately come to mind.

Corey Wotten reminds me alot of Richard Seymour with the size and build he has..

He is going to be a great 5 tech in this league..

He def seems like he could be moved around like the Raiders were doing with Seymour this pass year

Wootton is a fine player but you have to be cautious with his injury history.

I think with the #12 pick you have to make the pick an impact player. Rolando McClain of Alabama, CJ Spiller of Clemson, Earl Thomas of Texas, and Dez Bryant of Oklahoma State are the targets IMO. While Jared Odrick is a good player and someone mentioned comparison to Jay Ratliff. Is Jay Ratliff worth the #12 pick?

Selecting Paul-Pierre at #12 would be Al Davis of Jeff Ireland. There isn't enough tape on the kid to make him #12 worthly. Sure he is a great athlete and he will tear up the combine but I see Vernon Gholston in him

In Round 2 players like Jerry Hughes of TCU, Brandon Spikes of Florida, Brandon Graham of Michigan, and Morgan Burnett of GT have to be in play.

Brandon Grahams' short arms could really push him into round 2 ala Lamarr Woodley which is just crazy. This guy comes in and starts at SOLB immediatly.

I must agree with Boomer in his analysis of Jason Worlids. I am avid ACC guy and I watched Worlids closely and this kids' stock will rise. in Round 2 he HAS to be a real possibility

CK,

I see you like Dough Worthington. What do you think on Thaddeus Gibson? I saw people had him ranked in Round 2; I see him as a 3rd Rounder.

A guy who I have liked for some time is Torrell Troup of Central Florida. I saw him as ideal pick in Rounds 5-6; Lately I have seen him shoot up the boards into Round 4, even Round 3. I haven't watched my DVR of the Shrime Game and was sidelined all of last week with my 4th ACL Surgery. Was he that impressive to jump out that high? Anyone... Bueller..

great read Boomer. a bit hard to read sometimes, because i'm accidentally skipping a few lines here and there, but still a ton of quality info.

CK,

I see you like Dough Worthington. What do you think on Thaddeus Gibson? I saw people had him ranked in Round 2; I see him as a 3rd Rounder.

Worthington has some warts but I see him as a guy that has sort of switched between positions because he's not found one at the NFL that would suit him best, which could be 3-4 DE.

Gibson is interesting. He doesn't play with a great head on his shoulders but he's physical at the line, gets his arms extended and knows how to use his hands to work through trash. He's got a lot of mobility. I think I have more work to be done on him but I would not be surprised by a 2nd round grade.

As for Graham I've not yet become a fan of his. At least, not to the extent to where I'd consider him at #12. He's definitely a mobile player, that much is clear. But, I consider him a gap shooter who uses his size advantage to keep his angles alive and stay on his feet while shooting gaps. I don't like his strength at the POA, he doesn't shock or jar an offensive lineman with his punch (how could he, with 30" arms?), and even though his speed will flatter to deceive with the outside pass rush, he doesn't have the flexibility to consistently bend the arc by getting "small" (as Tony Sparano would say) or "narrow" (as Jeff Reinbold would say).

A guy who I have liked for some time is Torrell Troup of Central Florida. I saw him as ideal pick in Rounds 5-6; Lately I have seen him shoot up the boards into Round 4, even Round 3. I haven't watched my DVR of the Shrime Game and was sidelined all of last week with my 4th ACL Surgery. Was he that impressive to jump out that high? Anyone... Bueller..

He was quietly a very solid guy during practices and his first half Shrine Game performance was straight up beast mode. I've got him all over my notes.

i thought we drafted merling to be an OLB in the 3-4 originally myself. at around 270 i think he'd be about right for the position. he's very fluid in his hips and moves laterally extremely well - makes sense to me. he's not quite the bull rusher you'd want at the DE spot for our defense. and i still think it would be a huge mistake to trade him for a pick.

Back
Top Bottom