Merged: Universal Draft Hits the Sun Sentinel | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Universal Draft Hits the Sun Sentinel

i thought we drafted merling to be an OLB in the 3-4 originally myself. at around 270 i think he'd be about right for the position. he's very fluid in his hips and moves laterally extremely well - makes sense to me. he's not quite the bull rusher you'd want at the DE spot for our defense. and i still think it would be a huge mistake to trade him for a pick.

in his after draft press conference, Ireland even said Merling was being looked at as "edge rusher."

This draft is really loaded in the first three rounds of the draft. Most of the things Boomer writes I completely agree with him.

QB: Henne is the guy; there are no doubts anymore. I watched Joe Flacco in Baltimore closely this year to compare the growth of Chad Henne in comparison to Joe. I noticed that Joe Flacco never really won his team the game and as the season went on he really degressed. The Ravens' wins were based off of big days from Ray Rice, Willis McGahee, and that killer offensive line they have in Baltimore. Chad Henne on the other hand got better and better as each week passed and was responsible or a major reason for wins against the Jets and Patriots in Miami. Before he got injured against the Steelers in Week 17 he look ike a seasoned pro walking a mediocre offense up and down the field on a very good Steelers' defense. Thigpen for a Round 5 was a steal. I remeber the 2008 season where we were in Kansas City in a must-win and Thigpen kept making plays. They guy is a "spark-plug". The jury is out on Pat White and down the road I think he will be an effective gimmick player in our "Wild-Cat" offense but for him to be succesful we must let him take chances in the passing game b/c when he enters tha game defenses are keying the run. We are set at this position.

RB: I differ slightly here. I agree with Ronnie Brown being an "elite" back when healthy and I agree that Ricky will probably only last two more seasons. I also agree that I like what I saw with Lex Hilliard in limited carries but I think CJ Spiller is more than a slight possibility. In fact if he is there at #12 we MUST take him. I see him as the second coming of Chris Johnson; While everyone and their mother have given that comparison this move makes us a very flexible franchise. I am certain that we could ship Ronnie Brown off for a 2nd Rounder and given his injury history I would be willing to do this is if we landed CJ Spiller. Let's not forget that our Punt Return and Kick Return yardage is laughable. Spiller upgrades this as well; I see the impact that Chris Johnson has had in Tennessee and see the same in CJ Spiller.

Offensive Line: We have a great situation here. I see Vernon Carey, Jake Long, Jake Grove, and Justin Smiley as Pro-Bowl players (not like 4th alternates who get in like Yeremiah Bell). Their problem is durability but that is out of our control. Donald Thomas did disappoint a little but with good coaching and hard work he can turn it around. Joe Berger and Nate Garner provide great depth and as Boomer pointed out much more than we have had in previous regime's. I am still high on Andrew Gardner who we drafted out of Georgia Tech last year. I think this can develop into a quality Tackle maybe even a starter down the line.

WR: We know the situation here. Hartline, Bess, and Camarillo are all contributors. Bess has potential to be a lethal slot player, Hartline is a guy who just gets it, and I share Boomer's view that Ted Ginn Jr. still has some value here. You can't coach speed and the play he made against the Jets on Monday Night where he burned Darrelle Revis shows me ginn has the potential to make plays. Let's not forget that he made some key catches down the stretch as well. You draft a Dez Bryant and throw him into the mix that is Bess, Hartline, Ginn, and Camarillo and now you're talking. Round 2 could have players like Damian Williams of USC, Mardy Gilyard of Cincinnati, Brandon LaFell of LSU, Arrelious Benn of Illinois, Golden Tate of Notre Dame, and Demaryius Thomas of Georgia Tech sitting there. I am a huge fan of Gilyard as I see him having a Percy Harvin or DeSean Jackson like impact on our team. Draft a Gilyard and sign an Antonio Bryant and that is another enviable situation we are in.

TE: Fasano disappointed me this season. I think he is a good player but not a #1 Tight End; Gresham is indeed a special vertical threat but taking him at #12 could be a reach. Since I know he won't be there at #43 we have to look at Aaron Hernandez of Florida, Rob Gronkowski of Arizona, and Anthony McCoy of USC. I absolutly love Jimmy Graham of Miami as a 4th Round Prospect. It bares watching what happens in Houston with Owen Daniels. This guy is a pro-bowl calibur Tight End.

DL: I don't think moving Merling to SOLB is the way to go. I think keeping a rotation of Randy Starksm Kendall Langford, Phillip Merling, and Tony McDaniel presents a real strength to this team. I love the idea of bringing back Jason Ferguson for another season and having a rotation of Soliai/Ferguson. I still think with the depth of talent in this draft we should be able to lock up a good player possibly late. I like Odrick but not at #12; Cody no longer is a possibility after seeing his weigh-in; Suh and McCoy will be gone; Dan Williams is inconsistent; but I do like D'Anthony Smith of La. Tech, Torrell Troup of Central Florida, Cam Thomas of North Carolina, and Jay Ross of East Carolina. What are the prospects of Vince Wilfork or Casey Hampton slipping to us in free agency? not likely but I can dream.

DB: With Will Allen returning I think we are set at Corner with Vontae, Sean, Will Allen, and Jason Allen; resgining Nate Jones would be a nice bonus. Gibril Wilson and Yeremiah Bell are Strong Safeties and it was obvious Gibril was out of position last season. Despite Yeremiah going to the Pro-Bowl I still think Gibril Wilson is the best Strong Safety on this team. I think you keep them both if you can get Bell to restructure but if not you have to keep Wilson. I am very excited to see how Chris Clemons plays for us but Earl thomas has to be on the radar at #12. Special skill set, great instincts, amazing ball skills, just the total package; There are plenty of good options here in the draft as well with Burnett of GT, Chad Jones of LSU, Robert Johnson of Utah, and I am a fan of Myron Lewis of Vanderbilt

LB: This will be a major area of focus during free agency especially with the amount of money that Reggie Torbor and Akin Ayodele are making. Kalos Dansby, D'Qwell Jackson, Kirk Morrison, Thomas Howard, Demecco Ryans are some of the bnames available. I love Dansby as a Fins. I think Channing Crowder really stepped up in 2009 as well. Rolando McClain has to be on the radar at #12; I still like Brandon Spikes and if he somehow falls to #43 you have to take him. Without question bringing Jason taylor back to alternate with Cameron Wake at WOLB makes a ton of sense. I wouldn't get rid of Joey Porter unless we have a suitable replacement. You mentioned Brandon Graham and Jason Worlids who are two players I absolutly love. I also like Brandon Lang of Troy, Antonio Coleman of Auburn, AJ Edds of Iowa, and even Auston English of Oklahoma.

i thought we drafted merling to be an OLB in the 3-4 originally myself. at around 270 i think he'd be about right for the position. he's very fluid in his hips and moves laterally extremely well - makes sense to me. he's not quite the bull rusher you'd want at the DE spot for our defense. and i still think it would be a huge mistake to trade him for a pick.

With Nolan in town, Denver drafted a guy in Robert Ayers that compares with Merling in a lot of ways. Nolan developed ways to get Ayers on the field, as Boomer alluded to, in 5-2 alignments.

Keep in mind that Nolan is absolutely no stranger to shaking things up and moving people around. He came to Denver and the only player on the 2009 defense that played the same position as the 2008 defense was Champ Bailey.

With Nolan in town, Denver drafted a guy in Robert Ayers that compares with Merling in a lot of ways. Nolan developed ways to get Ayers on the field, as Boomer alluded to, in 5-2 alignments.

Keep in mind that Nolan is absolutely no stranger to shaking things up and moving people around. He came to Denver and the only player on the 2009 defense that played the same position as the 2008 defense was Champ Bailey.

one of the many things i liked about that write up. i've already read the defensive portion 3 times. would love to see how merling fares there - b/c the potential 3-4 OLB's in this class are pretty few and far between - and i'd hate to waste an early pick on one. really want the first two picks to be ILB and FS - regardless of the order.

Thanks guys.

Just a couple of points I'd like to pick up on; first of all unless he kilks someone, there's no way Jerry Hughes falls to round 2. As for Pierre-Paul, I spoke to one scout who said that 2 GM's with teams in the playoffs would take JPP in the top 5. There is more than enough game tape, practice tape, JUCO tape as well as scout visits throughout the season. Don't forget, it's not like JPP came from nowhere. He was highly recruited, he was a JUCO AA and turned down Miami, Florida and FSU. He's a better rush threat than Sergio Kindle, is much better in space, has far better COD skills and is a better athlete. He's a rare specimen. I wouldn't say it was an Al Davis move on any level.

Robert Ayers.... talk about a guy who IMO is gonna be a bust.

hmm...i would agree with others who say that the candidates for solb in this draft that i really like to step in and contribute from day 1 are few and far between...

i think merling is a guy who uses his hands well and may be a effective player outside as a solb...i don't have concerns about him setting the edge vs the run or being strong at the poa in that role but i do have concerns about him playing in space and his change of direction...and of course he'd need to drop a good 20 lbs...or so

it's intriguing....what kind of change of direction and speed did merling have at the combine etc or was he out then with that injury still???

and man is jared odrick a good looking player...i'm starting to see the jay ratliff comparisons...odrick has a great looking body also big bubble big thighs...and he's explosive...when you get 2 wins in a row against a guard the quality of iupata (sp?) even in drills designed for the defense to win i'm impressed...

hmmm....

Thanks Bob. I'm not trying to say that by moving Merling to SOLB it's the cure all. What I'm saying is that you're going to put a player who many of us thought would be an OLB in a 3-4 anyway, in a position where he might excel. I thought when at Clemson that in the 267 to 272 area he was very explosive, very sudden, changed diretion well and stacked up against the run. At times in his final year he was a beast. I think he was first round value that dropped because of injury. He's more athletic than Matt Roth and if you can get him rotated, especially when we run some 5-2, I think he could do a job there.

This draft is really loaded in the first three rounds of the draft. Most of the things Boomer writes I completely agree with him.

RB: I differ slightly here. I agree with Ronnie Brown being an "elite" back when healthy and I agree that Ricky will probably only last two more seasons. I also agree that I like what I saw with Lex Hilliard in limited carries but I think CJ Spiller is more than a slight possibility. In fact if he is there at #12 we MUST take him. I see him as the second coming of Chris Johnson; While everyone and their mother have given that comparison this move makes us a very flexible franchise. I am certain that we could ship Ronnie Brown off for a 2nd Rounder and given his injury history I would be willing to do this is if we landed CJ Spiller. Let's not forget that our Punt Return and Kick Return yardage is laughable. Spiller upgrades this as well; I see the impact that Chris Johnson has had in Tennessee and see the same in CJ Spiller.

Im kinda with you on this one. Whereas i love McClain and Spoon and ILB is such a need, Spiller is such a weapon in multiple areas of the game. If he was just a RB than i wouldnt look at him but the fact that he is so dynamic in the return game and receiving the ball, it might be too much to pass up. He immediately improves our return game on Special Teams immensely. He is an everydown back. I mean if i could trade our #12 for CJ i would do it in a second. I love ronnie but he is 29 and injury prone

that's the only thing i don't like about brandon graham...those t rex arms

Yeah, I'm not ready to peg Graham in at SOLB, unlike a lot of people. How is he going to bump TEs from a space position and then dominate them with short arms? It's not impossible but it's not going to be easy, either. And I don't think he has a ton of strength at the POA, either.

I like Worilds' ability better at that spot. Active, sticky hands.

Yeah, I'm not ready to peg Graham in at SOLB, unlike a lot of people. How is he going to bump TEs from a space position and then dominate them with short arms? It's not impossible but it's not going to be easy, either. And I don't think he has a ton of strength at the POA, either.

I like Worilds' ability better at that spot. Active, sticky hands.

i don't think worilds is all that strong at the poa...personally

and i wonder about that shoulders long term prognosis

Back
Top Bottom