Miami 18th in total defense | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami 18th in total defense

Ya usually points are what determine games. Can we just be happy when our D is 2nd in stopping the run and in PPG?!!? It's official!! Fin Fans will complain about anything and everything. Right now, the only thing we should be ridiculing is our inept offense. It almost feels like fin fans want to have a bad D just to say they were right about not having the talent to have a top D. Just like the Titans had Cassel, we had Cutler. Not much difference. Teams that played us must have the best Ds in the league. Right now, our Defense is playing as a stable squad unlike the offense which is holding back the D. Jets had almost what 40 mins of Time of possession? It's our terrible offense that cannot stay on the field for a first down. The problem is our offense and that's clear as day

You can check my post history and you'll see DVOA is the only stat I'll ever quote. It's the best and it always has been. I don't think I'll be posting much more of it anymore, because people don't get it or don't care. I explained what it was a couple of times in this thread and people still think it's just yards. Barring changes in the team or unit, like Wanny talked about (only poster in this thread who's said anything relevant to the original post), DVOA will kick the crap out of any other team/unit stat mentioned in this site (not player stat, team or unit is where it works best), including points, 8 times out of 10. It's a sophisticated, very well thought-out and battle tested descriptor. Again, it's not predictor, it won't tell what will happen, it will only tell what did happen.

OTOH, if people just want data that makes them happy, DVOA rates the New England defense 32nd overall, 32nd against the pass and 27th against the pass. There. Now DVOA is awesome again.

Last edited:
You could argue that defenses that are on the field longer get tired late, but it's actually our own offense that seems to be doing most of its damage late, for whatever that's worth. In any case, the Atlanta game will be interesting because so far we've played two of the best and two of the worst pass offenses, but Atlanta right now ranks only 14th. If the upward trend continues against Matty Ice, we'll have good reason for optimism. In that area, anyway.

You can check my post history and you'll see DVOA is the only stat I'll ever quote. It's the best and it always has been. I don't think I'll be posting much more of it anymore, because people don't get it or don't care. I explained what it was a couple of times in this thread and people still think it's just yards. Barring changes in the team or unit, like Wanny talked about (only poster in this thread who's said anything relevant to the original post), DVOA will kick the crap out of any other team/unit stat mentioned in this site (not player stat, team or unit is where it works best), including points, 8 times out of 10. It's a sophisticated, very well thought-out and battle tested descriptor. Again, it's not predictor, it won't tell what will happen, it will only tell what did happen.

OTOH, if people just want data that makes them happy, DVOA rates the New England defense 32nd overall, 32nd against the pass and 27th against the pass. There. Now DVOA is awesome again.

I believe you brother. I'm just messing around and not directly at you. You've always been a good poster for the site. I'm just so tired of looking like a middle school team..We look terrible. Ya, I'll have to take a good look into DVOA. No, brother keep posting it. I just don't understand it that well that's all. Would that system of rating defenses catch the Reshad Jones 5 yd TFL Vs. the Saints or Brees BS 4th and 1 spot (or no since officially the play was what it was)? I'm sure it wouldn't but I figured Id ask. I'd love to know more about it. Keep posting where's th'fish!! I think as a fan base we're all just disgusted with our play this season. If you felt like I was discounting your post, I am very sorry. I wouldn't want someone to do that to me or make me feel like that I couldn't post real stats. I'm so bummed how this season is turning out even though we're 2-2. Now onto the good teams!! As if Jay Cutler didn't have enough trouble against the Jets, Saints, and Titans defenses, welcome to Atlanta Jay!! I went from being extremely confident every game to not knowing if we'll score a TD. Something's gotta give man. With Parker out, we'd be very dumb not to throw a few go routes to Jakeem. At least try and not with Marqueis Gray on the field lol (Jakeem had a for sure TD that play) Sucks when you need points like we do. Cutler needs to throw the ball with balance which will lead to velocity and accuracy (not on skates like he's shown). Usually a win's a win to me but I cannot even consider last week something to be happy about. We all know if Mariota was playing we'd have gotten destroyed. You could say the same thing about RT. His value around here had to go up tenfold. Battle of the backup bums last week. Cutler could be a hero if we somehow beat the Falcons. I'm sure Gase knows his 0-2 record against Dan Quinn probably will extend to 0-3. Or maybe just maybe we could come out and play like a professional football team. You have a good one brother!! Hopefully tomorrow afternoon you can post updated DVOA stats with a W. You have great day!! PHINS UP!!!

I cannot see how we're not last lol WOW

I'd imagine the only thing keeping us from being last in time of possession is how much time we spend getting to the line and snapping the ball. Do these stats penalize ToP for delay of game penalties?

I'd imagine the only thing keeping us from being last in time of possession is how much time we spend getting to the line and snapping the ball. Do these stats penalize ToP for delay of game penalties?
I can't see why it would

I wouldn't put too much faith into either the FO numbers or the official numbers at this point of the season. We're close, but we're not quite at the point where the numbers start to mean something. Usually the first 4 games are kind of throw aways as teams change significantly during that first quartile of the season.

But after having played 6 games, teams start to really show what they've got. The offenses typically lack timing in the passing game and often get sidetracked by penalties and just plain blown assignments. But around game 6, most teams start to tighten that stuff up, get their timing down much better, and produce solid and more consistent offensive efforts.

We have only really played one good offense, the Saints. Our defensive numbers are all over the board. Before the season we knew our weakest unit was our LB corps, and this past week we started 2/3 of a new LB corps, which expectedly allowed the third part of the LB corps, Kiko, to perform his job effectively rather than constantly look to do the work of 3 LB's. To me, the Titans run offense is their bread and butter, particularly with Cassel at QB. So, to control their running game, gives me a much better feeling about our troublesome LB corps and the defense in general than any of the previous 3 games.

Sure, those aggregate numbers including the early season stuff is going to be a little off. But, because we were able to shut down the run game, our pass rushers were able to pin their ears back and generate pressure. That had been sorely lacking in the previous games.

Our offense clearly isn't there yet. But, I am seeing positive signs from our defense, and that means a lot more to me than the season aggregate statistics. Comparing a defense with 3 competent LB's to a defense without 3 competent LB's is an apples to oranges comparison. I'm looking for more good performances while we have 3 LB's. Those numbers will be more meaningful for me.

You don't even have to say IMO brother. You're 100% correct. It's our terrible offense. We just stopped the best running game in the league. Can we EVER be happy? lol I'll answer that..NOPE!!

I’m not happy with how terrifying the offense has looked. It has to get better and quick.

Back
Top Bottom