Miami are picking up Ju'Wuan James' 5th year option, per PFF | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami are picking up Ju'Wuan James' 5th year option, per PFF

Nothing to lose here. Now they can negotiate a long term deal if they want to. If he has a good year he's with us. If he has a bad year they can cut him and move on from him with no cap hit or dead money. Hard to spend a lot on a RT but it is what it is. I don't want to create another hole if we don't have to.

Ozzy rules!!

Hes an average starting RT. Once training camp ends, the coaching staff will know Eric Smith (UDFA) will be his replacement. I can't believe he went undrafted.

Ole Ted Slimm posted this back in October I believe. I trust his opinion above all others.

"I'm glad you brought him up, because he's a kid who I've been really impressed with for a long time. I have a Round 3 grade on him, and that'll go up if he tests as well as he plays."

"He sticks out like a sore thumb on Virginia's offensive line because of his hustle, attitude, and nastiness."

"He plays until the echo of the whistle every snap. Plays the game right on the edge...he goes as far as you can possibly go without getting a flag. It's perfection. I love it. Always hustling and looking for somebody to hit. He plays with an aggressiveness and nastiness that's not very common. I think this is one of those guys that you can kick inside and not have to worry about that guard spot for a decade. I just haven't seen many like him to be honest. He's been a pillar of strength and durability on the Cavs offensive line since he was a true freshman.

The Pittsburgh game is ideal in terms of illustrating what I'm talking about. Everybody should watch the Pitt/UVA game and just watch #72. They'll get it pretty quick, it won't take long."

You're seriously saying that an undrafted rookie RT is going to beat out Ju'wuan James for his starting spot? It's a little early to be hitting the bottle, brother.

You're seriously saying that an undrafted rookie RT is going to beat out Ju'wuan James for his starting spot? It's a little early to be hitting the bottle, brother.

Yes, that's the second time I've heard that...

From the moves the tram made in FA, it's not out of the question...get the rookie seasoned and then let James go, saving cap space, hopefully for not to much less performance.

I don't agree, but I can envision it.

From the moves the tram made in FA, it's not out of the question...get the rookie seasoned and then let James go, saving cap space, hopefully for not to much less performance.

Miami usually isn't that fortunate with offensive linemen. I think it's very unlikely that a UDFA makes the team, let alone shows enough to make us release a consistent starter on the offensive line.

Not every position has to be a pro bowler. But what James has provided is consistency and reliability. He's good enough that you literally place 0 worry on right tackle in the offseason because you know he's there. He's cemented himself nicely at right tackle, and even if he's paid 6 or 7 million, it'll be worth it based on his reliability and steadiness at the position.

James is a competent right tackle.

Normally I would say that that's a huge disappointment for a first round pick, but given the situation in which we had to draft him, I'm OK with how things have worked out.

I can envision him starting a game if he even makes the squad and both James and his backup are both injured and can't go. I cannot see any way an undrafted rookie OL beats out our first round RT who just got his fifth year option picked up. Unless 32 teams severely underestimated the talent level of this dude, I don't understand how anyone can expect that.

Great to hear, interesting that we are resigning our own this year and last year after letting all of our younger free agents walk his rookie year. This points to a change in the thinking of the brain trust which is huge. Letting Miller, Mathews and others walk and attempting to fill those holes in the draft did not work so well. Resigning our own lets us draft best player average regardless of position and once you get to that point you can then start trading your veterans for future draft picks.

People seriously overestimate the odds of late round picks and udfas becoming capable starters, even after years to develop. It happens sometimes, but it's a bigger longshot than people tend to figure.

Hes an average starting RT. Once training camp ends, the coaching staff will know Eric Smith (UDFA) will be his replacement. I can't believe he went undrafted.

Ole Ted Slimm posted this back in October I believe. I trust his opinion above all others.

"I'm glad you brought him up, because he's a kid who I've been really impressed with for a long time. I have a Round 3 grade on him, and that'll go up if he tests as well as he plays."

"He sticks out like a sore thumb on Virginia's offensive line because of his hustle, attitude, and nastiness."

"He plays until the echo of the whistle every snap. Plays the game right on the edge...he goes as far as you can possibly go without getting a flag. It's perfection. I love it. Always hustling and looking for somebody to hit. He plays with an aggressiveness and nastiness that's not very common. I think this is one of those guys that you can kick inside and not have to worry about that guard spot for a decade. I just haven't seen many like him to be honest. He's been a pillar of strength and durability on the Cavs offensive line since he was a true freshman.

The Pittsburgh game is ideal in terms of illustrating what I'm talking about. Everybody should watch the Pitt/UVA game and just watch #72. They'll get it pretty quick, it won't take long."

Maybe we found our RG for this year?

James is a competent right tackle.

Normally I would say that that's a huge disappointment for a first round pick, but given the situation in which we had to draft him, I'm OK with how things have worked out.

I believe he admitted to struggling the first part of last season but got over the hump and then played better. He played well his rookie year before the injury

Had to be done that way you can concentrate on signing Landry long term and put James on back burner.

i think any conversation about replacing or cutting james will disappear if he's healthy this season.

I am saying he will be his replacement. which it looks like will be in 2019, since we picked up James' option. Your right, It's a little crazy to think that an undrafted player could do that..but look at how many undrafted players are making a difference in this league. Slimm had Eric smith as his #6 tackle in this draft. No one looks at more college film than that guy. So Eric Smith has a good chance at being that "cheap" option replacement if JAMES' contract gets to pricey in 2 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom